Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: DELUXE Captain Marvel and the Monster Society of Evil. Cancelled Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 2:37pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Been out of town and out of the loop. I
put money down to preorder this.
Apparently it has been cancelled

Link

Not happy.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The reasoning I got was, the Asian
stereotype displayed in the book is
racist. I looked it up. Yep. That's the
reason.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Drat! While I am primarily digital these days, this was something I wanted in hardback.
Back to Top profile | search

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

You can create your own document of this, as the original stories are available in the public domain through the digital comic museum.  I'm actually amazed that DC didn't put a renewed copyright on the material, but I guess no one cares (as Fawcett was the original owners of the material).

Can't help you with a hardback copy unless you want to download each chapter, print it with a color printer and bind it.  However, you can read all the stories online.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 4:50pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Yep, this was discussed this past Summer: LINK.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 4:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Phil Kreisel wrote:
... I'm actually amazed that DC didn't put a renewed copyright on the material...

As I understand it, DC would be able to put out a new collection and copyright THAT publication, and the trademarks (which are distinct from copyright) that both Marvel and DC have on the words "Captain Marvel" and "Shazam!," respectively, would make it hard for anyone else to legally market and distribute  a reprint, but DC can't renew a copyright that has expired and fallen into public domain. I mean, once something enters the public domain, I am pretty sure that can't be reversed.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That's my basic understanding as well.  As such, someone can create their own version of the Captain Marvel and the Monsters of evil for their own pleasure, but would run into trouble if they were to try and produce and sell a copy.  I suppose you could do it under the radar and hope DC didn't care, but why would anyone bother.

I think I did my own Monster Society book, but it wasn't for anything beyond my own consumption.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm more upset at DC. I'm a believer that
those who ignore history are doomed to
repeat it. Hiding the parts of history
that are problematic is just going to make
any real issues worse.

I'm also a little bit insulted. DC
apparently doesn't believe thst I have the
ability to look at the work and take it in
the context of the time in which it was
created and say, "My, look how far we've
come." Why bow to the small minority that
can't.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 January 2019 at 9:50pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I mentioned this sort of thing last year in relation to vintage WONDER WOMAN reprints, Stephen. In that case, they modified certain stories to tone down racial stereotypes.

I’m not a fan of revisionist history. I understand why they feel a need to do it—just imagine some poor kid finding reprints containing such racist stereotypes at their local bookstore—, but I don’t like it.

History is important, context is important. 

Instead of flying off the rails and being offended by material from nearly a century ago, maybe people should accept the reality of what was, and push forward toward the reality of what is yet to come.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 1:12am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A disclaimer at the front of the book should have been enough.  That could even have spurred intelligent discussion.  Brushing history under the rug doesn't help anything.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

QUOTE:
As such, someone can create their own version of the Captain Marvel and the Monsters of evil for their own pleasure, but would run into trouble if they were to try and produce and sell a copy.  I suppose you could do it under the radar and hope DC didn't care, but why would anyone bother.

There are print-on-demand copies of the story on Amazon.

QUOTE:
A disclaimer at the front of the book should have been enough.

In a year, Warner Bros is putting out a Captain Marvel/Shazam movie, I'd have to disagree. That disclaimer won't mean shit once some news story puts SHAZAM clips next to shots of a brand new book with panels showing Steamboat and the member from the Black Dragon Society of Murder. From a business perspective, I think DC made the right call.

QUOTE:
I'm more upset at DC. I'm a believer that those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it. Hiding the parts of history that are problematic is just going to make any real issues worse.

Sure, but there's a difference between presenting a racist history and celebrating it. It's the argument with Confederate statues. I'm on board with not erasing history. But I don't think that statues of people who fought to preserve slavery need to exist in places of honor like public parks and government buildings. Remember these people in books and museums where they can be discussed in the appropriate historical context, not as some monument where the intent of their display is confusing, at best.

I think there's a place for this story to be reprinted in a high-end, uncensored version, along with material placing it in the appropriate context. I'm just not sure that should be as tie-in merchandise from DC as they are hawking a movie.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 January 2019 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There was a hardback copy done 30(!) year ago by American Nostalgia Library.  I was fortunate enough to track down a copy for myself about 10 years ago.  It cost me $125 then.  Looking at the asking prices now on Amazon, it's $500 or more.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version