Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 24 Next >>
Topic: SPIDER-MAN: Far From Home ~ SPOILERS begin pg 8 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 4:07am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

The Rousso Brothers used as little CGI in CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER as they could get away with. I hope the same happens with SHANG-CHI.

CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE WINTER SOLDIER contains 2500 VFX shots. That is more respective shots than THE AVENGERS (2200 shots), THOR (1309), IRON MAN 3 (2000), DOCTOR STRANGE (1500), AQUAMAN (2300) and this year’s CAPTAIN MARVEL (2124). The Russo Bros. are known for their aggressive, boundary-pushing use of VFX, and every company in the business is salivating at the prospect of working on projects from the Bros. new studio. If you consider their work on WINTER SOLDIER as the barometer, then SHANG CHI, too, will have as many VFX shots as the director can get away with: a metric shit-ton.

And it absolutely should. Shang-Chi's adventures featured him battling a rampaging gorilla, a shark (underwater!), resurrected Neanderthals, and automated suits of Victorian armor. He went toe-to-toe in hand-to-hand combat with Spider-Man, and battled a six-armed villain inside a giant web who was not Spider-Man. Other opponents include Razorfist—a guy with swords for forearms— and a sorcerer named Quan’Star. Shang-Chi once visited an island of giant robot toys, and on at least two occasions his adventures have featured someone trapped in a giant hourglass. This is not a character whose stories demand a restrained VFX approach.

My point is, a martial arts movie does not need to have computer animation to enhance its story like  it would for a God of Thunder or Sorcerer Supreme. Being a Marvel movie, like I said, they will unquestionably be using their fare share of it.

A martial arts movie named SHANG CHI does, especially since the villain is the Mandarin—and that would be the case even if a different studio were releasing it. And since “martial arts” is a wide-ranging film category with an extensive history of utilizing VFX, asserting that Marvel has to do it this way because it’s Marvel is a statement without much historical context regarding the industry, the genre, or the character himself.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 August 2019 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Whatever Marvel does with Shang-Chi, they must not fail like they did with Iron Fist. That show was a masterclass in suck. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 August 2019 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'm a little underwhelmed by the next phase options but I'll reserve judgement if they are as entertaining as GOTG was,.

The MCU movies have varied from superb (Iron Man, Avengers IW & EG, GOTG) to the entertaining but inessential (Ant-Man) to the disappointing (Thor TDW) and then the downright juvenile slap in the face that was Spider-Man FFH. 

Some of the lesser known characters might well hold the key to Marvel's longevity at the box office. I'm still hanging on for an Alpha Flight or Captain Britain offering though...

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 1:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Craig Earl wrote:
...and then the downright juvenile slap in the face that was Spider-Man FFH.

Been marinating on this since you posted it and I still can't reconcile it.  You and I must have seen two totally different films.    

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 5:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

And I would dispute the notion of Ant-Man being inessential considering that the elements introduced in the film led directly to the sequel which in turn set up the way to beat Thanos in Endgame. 

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Craig Earl wrote:
...and then the downright juvenile slap in the face that was Spider-Man FFH.

Been marinating on this since you posted it and I still can't reconcile it.  You and I must have seen two totally different films.

------------------------------------------

Or maybe we're two individuals with our own points of view. 

This wasn't the world of Spidey that I grew up with. It was the only Marvel movie that I almost walked out on. I've enjoyed many of the others but Spider-Man FFH felt like it was made exclusively for pre-teen kids. Hated so much of it (other than the Mysterio illusion fight scenes). 

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 12:41pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And I would dispute the notion of Ant-Man being inessential considering that the elements introduced in the film led directly to the sequel which in turn set up the way to beat Thanos in Endgame. 

-----------------------------------

Yeah, poor wording on my part. I was coming from the angle that 'Ant-Man' would not have been high on most lists as a guaranteed Marvel project when the MCU was being mapped out. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Spider-Man FFH felt like it was made exclusively for pre-teen kids. 

A superhero movie...aimed at kids??  Perish the thought. 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 20 August 2019 at 12:46pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 12:47pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I was coming from the angle that 'Ant-Man' would not have been high on most lists as a guaranteed Marvel project when the MCU was being mapped out. 

——-

ANT-MAN was announced as an Edgar Wright project alongside Jon Favreau’s IRON MAN, so it actually predates the MCU. 

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

A superhero movie...aimed at kids??  Perish the thought. 

------------------------------------------------

You know, It is possible to make a superhero movie that is enjoyable for all ages... 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

You know, It is possible to make a superhero movie that is enjoyable for all ages... 

-------

While box office is not necessarily an indicator of quality, a billion dollar box office does suggest that enough people of all-ages enjoyed it enough to view it multiple times. So I really don't understand why you can't settle for saying that FAR FROM HOME wasn't for you, rather than insulting everyone who /did/ enjoy it by implying that they have juvenile taste.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Okay, let's draw a line. The movie wasn't for me. I did feel that it was juvenile, but that's my opinion. Some people loved it, that's their opinion.

It was in no way a comment on anyone who went to see it and enjoyed it.

<< Prev Page of 24 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version