Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Using Terms Correctly (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 6:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

A typewriter already refers to something very different from a computer.  This would be like my example of retcons, revamps and reboots being different things that shouldn't be confused.  However, laptop computers are also sometimes called notebook computers.  That would be a case of synonyms along with soda/pop and balloon/bubble.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 6:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

Bubble:

Balloon:

Which one has a tail that connects it to the owner?  Hmmmm...  Not too hard to figure out why one is correct (thought balloon) and one is wrong (thought bubble).

BTW, and once again, your analogy using "soda" and "pop" is severely flawed.  It's a regionalism/colloquialism based on the original term "soda pop" and is in no way similar to "bubble" and "balloon".  In other words, the terms "bubble" and "balloon" are not synonymous in any way.  I'm afraid you're just dead wrong when you use the former instead of the latter. But, by all means, keep trying to convince us that you aren't, Eric!

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 24 April 2005 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 3  

Um, we don't avoid using the word "nigger" because it's incorrect usage. We avoid using it because it's incredibly racist and hateful. Is there an ethnic group that's impugned when someone says "thought bubbles" instead of "thought balloons"?

"Um..." in point of fact there are plenty of people who use the word "nigger" because that is the word they use, not because they imagine it has any negative racial connotations. That's precisely why I chose that word as my illustration.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 12:42am | IP Logged | 4  

Enough already with the casual tossing around of racist epithets!

John, you cannot possibly be that ignorant to believe that people who use racial slurs do so without any negative intent or connotation.  If you do indeed believe that, I strongly encourage you to seek some counsel and educate yourself on the matter, if you don't want to take my word for it.  I've only been black and lived in this country for, oh, my entire life, so I may not be aware of how things really are out there...

We spend an awful lot of time on this board dealing with the issue of respect, as it pertains to comic book characters, comic book terminology, reverence for creator's original visions, nicknames for comic book characters, etc.  People tread lightly on eggshells out of fear of upsetting you and your many rules for how seriously this wonderful hobby of our should be taken, both by us within it and by those civilians outside of it.  How about we extend that same measure of respect to the people who participate in this board?

We're supposed to take your word for how things should be in the industry, how characters are supposed to be treated, etc because of your years of experience.  How about you extend me the same courtesy on this issue?

This isn't about political correctness, or "looking for something to be offended by."  It is simply a matter of consideration and manners...

There were an infinite number of comparitives you could have chosen to illustrate your point about correct comic book terminology.  The fact that you chose the one you did...why? 

I think we get your point.  They are balloons, not bubbles.  Fine.  Your comparitive example sucked.  Just as you ask us not to use terms that bother, offend or piss you off, I'm asking you publicly to not use racially insensitive terms and epithets on the board as well.  Or is that something you would have a problem with?

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ian Evans
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 5  

Matt Reed wrote:

Which one has a tail that connects it to the owner?  Hmmmm...  Not too hard to figure out why one is correct (thought balloon) and one is wrong (thought bubble).

If we were saying 'speech balloon', then yeah but since it's thought balloon-or-bubble, the item in question is usually connected to the thinker by a stream of what look like bubbles..which would support Eric's argument more than yours, Matt...

Not that I am saying he is right, mind you...

(see my signature for further clarification....)

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 6:40am | IP Logged | 6  

Nah. It's "balloon," whether it's "word balloon" or "thought balloon."

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 7  

John, you cannot possibly be that ignorant to believe that people who use racial slurs do so without any negative intent or connotation.

Ignorance is the key, but not on my part. There are many places in this country where people to this day use "nigger" when refering to Black people because that's the word they use. They don't think of it as a racial slur. They don't think about it at all, in fact. It simply is.

This is not even considering Black people who themselves use the word. We cannot, surely, imagine that it is used in that context as a racial slur?

"Nigger" is -- like so many others -- a word with a complex etymology and an even more complex pattern of use.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Todd Hembrough
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 8  

The movie Pulp Fiction was filled with 'that word'.  Spoken by Tarantino as well as Ving Rhames and Samuel L. Jackson, as an example.  I was shocked that it was used as an honorific (almost) and not a pejorative.

T

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 9  

Eric Kleefeld wrote:
A typewriter already refers to something very different from a computer.  This would be like my example of retcons, revamps and reboots being different things that shouldn't be confused.  However, laptop computers are also sometimes called notebook computers.  That would be a case of synonyms along with soda/pop and balloon/bubble.

And a balloon already refers to something very different from a bubble. The correct term is balloon. It has been a balloon since these things have been named. So, now, since some people incorrectly call it a bubble, it's ok? Just because some people call it that? Nope. Doesn't work. If your term switching works, so does mine.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 10  

John Byrne wrote:
Though, I do wonder why Captain America would be
described as wearing a uniform.

Because he's not Mr. America.

On the other hand, Mar-Vell's 2nd outfit (the red and blue one) would be a costume despite him being Captain Marvel, right?

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Arvid Spejare
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 11  

About the "it's clearly a balloon since bubbles don't have an end that points anywhere".

Just want to point out that in Swedish, the thing that's being discussed here is (translated straight to English) called a "speech bubble". If you were to say "speech balloon" basically no one, except possibly people who speaks Swedish but has English as their first language, would understand what you meant.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2005 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 12  

Todd Hembrough wrote:
The movie Pulp Fiction was filled with 'that word'.  Spoken by Tarantino as well as Ving Rhames and Samuel L. Jackson, as an example.  I was shocked that it was used as an honorific (almost) and not a pejorative.

T

And Tarantino was widely censured by many for his liberal usage of the word.

Todd, just because you see something in a movie doesn't make that thing right.  And I'm sure you know that already; you come across in a very intelligent manner in your posts.

I am not here to be the board's race monitor.  This thread was about comic book terminology, not about casual use of racial slurs. 

Think about it like this.  JB is a comics professional who takes his craft very seriously.  He reacts strongly when he perceives things that disrespect the genre, things that some of us who aren't as deeply entrenched in the profession probably wouldn't take notice of.  Things such as whether or not someone calls a balloon a bubble, or a caption a box, or a costume a uniform.

I react just as strongly when I perceive things that are disrespectful to me, things that some of you who don't come from a similar background or experience probably wouldn't take notice of.

It would be nice if the same consideration was given to others when requested.  What's sad is that such consideration would have to be requested at all.

It was a poor example, JB, which you then went on to defend when three posters pointed that out to you.  Is it impossible for you to say, "I meant no ill intent with my point but I respect how you see the issue"? 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version