Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Star Trek
Byrne Robotics > Star Trek << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Star Trek: Discovery ~ Season 2 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Rick, no. He doesn't. And since his main point is gone now, the little tacked-on, decorative points you still so desperately want to be true all fall away now as well.

Why are such videos being made, Michael? Because there is a hatred agenda being pushed by the Alt-Right in this country now, and they are happy to accept the assistance of head-up-their-ass fans who agree with so many of their conclusions. Not all of them, to be sure. But we can certainly back the hate groups up on these entertainment issues, can't we? 

I mean, it IS a bad thing when politically progressive groups gain representation and do not successfully disguise their intent in an artful enough way (preferably behind white male leads) so that we don't have to think about it. I mean, it's so obvious of them, right? That's bad. Bad bad bad. (Cue wide-eyed blinks of innocence.)

Remember back in the past when diversity meant people of many colors and backgrounds taking their orders from a white male? THOSE were good times, my friends. No one was threatened. Everyone was making progress. We were all moving forward together. The next step... the one where people of many colors and different genders GIVE those orders? Maybe do genre shows or films that are NOT about white men? Whoa, now... slow your roll. That... that sounds AGENDA-driven! 

No white males in charge? I don't think anyone wants that now, do they? Think about it now. Don't you want to disguise your intent ju-u-ust a little bit more? Tell this "story" of yours a bit differently? 'Cause you can't REALLY be trying to tell a story about a woman or person of color who doesn't take orders from or depend upon a white male. There is no such story. Not what we head-up-our-own-ass fans would call a story. Such a thing is defined as an "agenda." And we will have none of it in our culture or entertainment. No one is going replace us...! 

I myself liken the psychological state of fans promoting videos like the one Rick linked to (almost as if he had an agenda of some sort) to those of Germans who sided with the Nazis just on the banking issues. ONLY on the banking issues. The banks were all messed up. Certainly they didn't agree with the Nazis, or you know... "Them" on everything. But the banks? Those did need fixing. And the party seeking power, who just happened to be the... y'know, "Them," were going to fix the banks. Really, the only dog these folks had in this fight were the banks, but on that issue the, um, you know, "Them..." They had these good German people's support all the way.

That certainly didn't make those people "Them," did it? It made them merely... "Them" adjacent.

Make no mistake, Rick, "They" thank you for your assistance in promoting Their agenda. You're a good little promoter.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Victor Perez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 8:33am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yikes, Brian, tell us how you really feel!  You are on the right side of history, so you can afford to be gracious to anyone in a panic about the present or future. That way you can save your energy/creative energy/Type 3 Phaser for when the Russians come. :)

Meanwhile, I read somewhere that the skant for men is coming back to Star Trek via upcoming episodes of Discovery. That ought to be enough to pop a blood vessel and maybe even start a new timeline somewhere...
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Victor, you should see the draft that didn't get posted. :-)

Interesting news on the uniforms, though. I thought there was scant chance we'd ever see those again! Still, Discovery deserves praise for not skirting controversy! A-hem. :-)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: March 14 2019 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

"If Memory Serves" was a terrific episode.  Not only does it put a rest to the stupid theory that this is some alternate timeline not in any way connected to TOS and all its iterations, but it was just a solid episode all the way 'round.  My only nitpick, and it's small, is that I preferred the real life scarred version of Vena in "The Cage" to the semi-updated version in DISCOVERY.  That said?  The Talosian's were spot-on: updated just enough to appear realistic while maintaining all of their wonderfully unique characteristics.  That "previously on" to begin the episode was masterful and gave me goosebumps the second it began.  This once again proved to me that Anson Mount deserves his own series as Pike commanding the Enterprise

Really looking forward to what the rest of the season has in store.  Doubly excited to attend the PaleyFest DISCOVERY Q&A a week from Sunday that also doubles as a sneak peek at THE TWILIGHT ZONE. 

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Matt Reed: "...I preferred the real life scarred version of Vena in "The Cage" to the semi-updated version in DISCOVERY."

I agree, Matt...it surprised me a little that the look of the real Vina got softened up a bit from the original version.

Melissa George was terrific, though. I loved the scenes with Vina and Pike.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 11:34am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

To me the great success of last week's episode was that while they were mining The Cage and Menagerie for significance, the episode that resulted added to both of those stories, rather than taking away.  Pretty stark contrast to, for example, Into Darkness.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

And this is casting:

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 5:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I myself liken the psychological state of fans promoting videos like the one Rick linked to (almost as if he had an agenda of some sort) to those of Germans who sided with the Nazis just on the banking issues. ONLY on the banking issues. The banks were all messed up. Certainly they didn't agree with the Nazis, or you know... "Them" on everything. But the banks? Those did need fixing. And the party seeking power, who just happened to be the... y'know, "Them," were going to fix the banks. Really, the only dog these folks had in this fight were the banks, but on that issue the, um, you know, "Them..." They had these good German people's support all the way.

That certainly didn't make those people "Them," did it? It made them merely... "Them" adjacent.

Make no mistake, Rick, "They" thank you for your assistance in promoting Their agenda. You're a good little promoter.

Ass-u-me much Brian? I posted that link because I have been hearing complaints from Star Trek fans about both JJ Abrams ST and STD. I thought that since the guy who was being interviewed in the video that I posted had worked on Star Trek in the past that he might have offered some insight into why they made some of the creative decisions they did.

OMT, I'm Black and I don't take kindly to being painted as a sympathizer with racists/Nazis.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 9:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Rob Burnett remains a distinct disappointment to me. I really enjoyed the independent film FREE ENTERPRISE that he wrote and directed with Mark A. Altman, and to have that guy go down the conspiracy well and begin playing to the echo-chamber inhabitants there at the bottom is somewhat sad. 

And he hasn't actually worked on Star Trek itself. He's produced a number of DVD special features on multiple discs, but that's all been done after-the-fact. He is not and has not been in the room when decisions were being made. 

He's a frequent guest on the INGLORIOUS TREKSPERTS podcast and the crew there has to just as frequently shut him down from going off on anti-Discovery rants since A.) they want to keep the discussion light and positive and B.) because they have a sister podcast promoting the show. 

I didn't say you sympathized with racists and Nazis, btw. I said you held views that represented many of their positions and were apparently okay with supporting their side of the argument at least that far. 

Just because you agree with them on many points doesn't necessarily mean you sympathize with them entirely. 

If an Alt-Right group checked in here, would they feel they need to post in counter-point to the discussion taking place, or could they reasonably assume you, Kirkman, Sofer, Woods, and "Pork Rinds" Churay have this front in the "culture wars" covered?

Edited by Brian Hague on March 14 2019 at 9:26pm

John Harrison
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

So many little moments between the crew that I enjoyed but why in God's name is the security chief skulking in the corner when she can clearly see Ariel (sp?) is not doing something kosher.

I must have missed something but I couldn't understand why they didn't just beam her out 

I really didn't like fight choreography way too Matrix-ish

I did start to wonder if we are seeing the seeds of what will become the Borg.

Nitpicks aside a really solid episode 

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 14 2019 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I didn't say you sympathized with racists and Nazis, btw. I said you held views that represented many of their positions and were apparently okay with supporting their side of the argument at least that far.

Just because you agree with them on many points doesn't necessarily mean you sympathize with them entirely.

If an Alt-Right group checked in here, would they feel they need to post in counter-point to the discussion taking place, or could they reasonably assume you, Kirkman, Sofer, Woods, and "Pork Rinds" Churay have this front in the "culture wars" covered?

There you go assuming again Brian. Where in any of my posts did I say or imply that I represent,support,or agree with their side of the argument and with many of their points (which, BTW, is you basically saying that I sympathize with Nazis and racists)? Hell, I haven't even said anything negative about STD. So again, before you accuse someone of agreeing with Nazis and racists, make sure you have proof and all of the facts.

Tyler Kloster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: March 15 2019 at 7:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I must have missed something but I couldn't understand why they didn't just beam her out.

I wondered that too, John, and assumed there must have been a line of dialogue or something that I missed that said they couldn't do so. Otherwise, it seems like a gigantic gaffe, because the transporter would have solved most of the issues in the climax, like beaming the security chief to safety or beaming Airiam off the ship and to the brig.

And I have to believe that director Jonathan Frakes would have caught such a gaffe, so maybe there was indeed something that said the transporters wouldn't work in the moment. I'll look for it when I rewatch the episode this weekend.

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version