Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4
Topic: Bernie Sanders supports Trump Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Don't care who you vote for.

Seriously.

Just vote.

Sitting out, not voting, isn't an option in my book.

••

As long as the Electoral College is in place, it's REALLY hard to get motivated. All it takes is ONE vote more for Candidate A than Candidate B, and the whole state goes to A.

Back to Top profile | search

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

THIS ^.

And it works both ways. Living in the NY Tri-State area, the Democrats could put freshly-released-from-prison Anthony Weiner on the Presidential ticket and he'd win handily against Trump here. I can't say I'd feel remorse if I sat this one out since the vote is not going to be even close in this area.

Edited by Vinny Valenti on 21 February 2019 at 7:37am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Connecticut always goes Blue. That used to annoy me when I thought of myself as a Republican, so I have seen this from both sides!

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:48am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, CT hasn't gone Red since 1988, NY 1984. I don't see Donald Trump being the one to buck that 30+ year trend!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Electoral College is an outdated load of crap. It won't happen, but I wish they'd change it so that if you win it but not the popular vote, you're an automatic one-termer.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

A number of states are taking action against the electoral college system.  For example, Colorado just passed a statute that says that its electoral college votes automatically go to the winner of the nationwide popular vote.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 12:59pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Now we’re talking!!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Had it been that way for Colorado in 2000, we would have had President Gore.< ="text/" async="" src="//cardinal.net/1fa16f6ccbee745a0c.js">

1960 would have been the time before that where they would have given its votes to the popular vote winner, but it didn't mater since JFK won any way.

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 3:22pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Steve DeYoung wrote:
A number of states are taking action against the electoral college system.  For example, Colorado just passed a statute that says that its electoral college votes automatically go to the winner of the nationwide popular vote.
Colorado voted to join the National Popular Vote Interstate Compact.  This would only affect the way their electoral votes are allocated if enough other states join the compact to control 270 electoral votes, and if the Compact survives the inevitable legal challenges it would face if states attempted to enact it. 

From a mathematical standpoint, a 270-vote threshhold does not make sense for this law anyway.  In the hypothetical event that most of the remaining 268 electoral votes were in states that leaned red, it would still be possible for a candidate to win the election while losing the popular vote.  In fact, it might even make it more likely.  The people who've crafted this compact didn't think this through, clearly.  For that reason I hope it isn't enacted.  What we need is a constitutional amendment, which (sadly) is probably an impossibility in today's political climate.  

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 21 February 2019 at 3:23pm

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 3:27pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

If you wanna dump the Electoral College?  VOTE!

There are candidates a plenty who would support that.  Find them, bend their ear and get on the case!  

And while were at it....PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GALACTUS LETS DUMP CITIZENS UNITED!   You wanna see REAL change in America!?  Make campaign contributions from corporations to candidates illegal.  And limit personal contributions to $1200.  And outlaw lobbyists altogether.  Many Democratic candidates are not taking contributions from PACs and big corporations (Thanks, Bernie!) and if a candidate really has the ear of the people....they will support that candidate with their dollars.  

We need politicians beholden to individual VOTERS, not billionaires and corporations who's money counts as "free speech"!   

Almost EVERYTHING wrong with our country today can be solved by tons of well meaning people getting together and exercising the right to vote and voting with the best interests not just THEMSELVES but of OTHERS!  

It will take time...and some hateful ass old fucks might have to die off while we wait...but hard work is required for big jobs.

As long as the majority of Americans believe that their fellow citizens, regardless of race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, etc should have equal protection and opportunity under the law and consciously votes ACCORDINGLY...we can make it for another 250+ years.

Provided we can get a handle on climate change....

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 4
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version