Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Days of Past Futures Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 2:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Thoughts on tombstones? They can also lock a story into a specific time...

I prefer the obscured year approach...

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 3:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I prefer the obscured approach, too, Nathan.

As for any tales set in a near-future, in comics, TV, movies, wherever, I feel the year should never be given. Better to have it "in the near-future," or "15 (or whatever amount of years) from now..." If something is set "15 years from now," it will always be 15 years from the time you are watching or reading the story.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 3:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, obscure those things.

I hereby declare any dates in Days of Future Past to be in error, AKA a "Chrisprint".

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 3:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Time, our eternal enemy...

I understand the idea of using a set date in movies or books; it lends an air of legitimacy, while it is certain to be forgotten. For goodness sakes, it's only a movie; who will remember a Space Odyssey in the year 2001? That's forty years in the future!

But it turns out that entertainment media stuck with the viewing/reading public longer than anyone expected, I suppose. So we know all these details NOW where the creators, I think, weren't concerned with that far into the future.

I believe the same applies to locations... it is much harder to validate an invasion in Poland or Tanzania while invading Wakanda or Qurac are nice and safe. If it's a non-specific but realistic sounding country, then no one needs to start applying real national statistics to a story. "Hey! It wouldn't be nearly so easy to take down Mexico! The United States and others would come to their aid!" makes more sense in discussion, and less sense in publishing, than using Latveria instead.

Another consideration of non-specific dates is that technology doesn't have to keep up. We aren't worried about what kind of tech is used in Planet of the Apes... but androids in 2019 are a little too advanced for the timing of Blade Runner. Although I'd like to pre-order mine now, for certain. :)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Jean’s headstone was probably one of the last instances where we could still depend on MOST readers to recognize a TOPICAL REFERENCE.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 4:30pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

When I think about how we're almost 20 years into the 21st century already...it creeps me out a little. 

And I remembered that the Future part of "Days of Future Past" took place in 2013. And the "Welcome to the 21st century" bit. I still don't see any Sentinels flying around outside my window, but of course that's for the best. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 4:35pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Jean was three years older than me back then. Now I'm probably three decades older than her!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

reminds me of the Star Trek's  Eugenics war of the 1990s or 2001 a Space Odyssey.

Edit  I noticed  just now that Greg Kirkman touched on these points already 
my Apologies 

Edited by Ron Grant on 21 February 2019 at 5:24pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Jean was three years older than me back then. Now I'm probably three decades older than her!

ªª

I'm reminded of watching GREEN ACRES on Nickleodeon. Gee, I thought, why didn't I notice how HOT Lisa Douglas was when I first watched this series?

Answer, I realized, was that in the Sixties she was the same age as my mother, but in the Nineties she was the same age as my wife!!

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

REIGN OF FIRE suffers from this, as well, with magazine and newspaper dates shown tying it a to a specific time (the discovery of the first dragon in 2000*, the meat of the film happening in 2020, and gaps between filled in with the aformentioned). 

I would have preferred young Quinn simply existed in our "present day", the articles could still be shown, but without specific dates (perhaps anniversaries of the first appearance), and the bulk of the film happening 20 years after the fateful discovery day, whether that be 2020, 2030, 2040, or whatever. The beginning is so brief, I don't feel there's much dating it. And even less reference points in the post-apocalyptic era. 

*I guess it was meant as an "alternate" future from the start, as the movie was released in 2002.

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

THE MATRIX kind of escapes this trap. Even though 1999 was the present day at the time of its release, in the story, the Matrix is simply replicating that time period. We (and the characters) don't know exactly what year the movie actually takes place in. 

Brad Brickley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I like way to convey the future with "20 years from today..." or something along those lines. A way to say it takes place later, but vague enough to not bog down in details.
I recall reading Mark Twain and in some of his stories he just left the last two digits out, July 4, 18__ or something similar. That worked for me. 

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version