Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Biggest Reason I No Longer Buy Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Over the last 19 years the marketing department,editors, and creators at Marvel have either blatantly copied and made the same stupid mistakes that Marvel and DC have made in the 80's and 90's. Over that same time, Marvel has allowed their creators to tell "fan mentality"/"fan fiction" stories and tell stories that should have never been told (like Wolverine's origin and revealing Doom's disfigured face). They have also copied the DC model of aging their characters,creating legacy characters,making their characters less unique by introducing multiple spinoff versions of their characters,over powering their characters,and aiming their characters mainly at a small and shrinking older audience of long time readers.
Back to Top profile | search

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 10:05pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

And I would want to go back... why? __________________________

Well because...........ah who am I kidding. I got nothing.

Edited by Rick Whiting on 20 February 2019 at 10:06pm

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 10:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Infinity Gauntlet.  And the Phoenix Force.  And Thor's chariot.
++++++++

Yeah, Marvel Comics as we loved it is long since gone. They’re just mixing disparate elements together and throwing them at the wall for funzies, like schoolkids having a food fight. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, Marvel Comics as we loved it is long since gone. They’re just mixing disparate elements together and throwing them at the wall for funzies, like schoolkids having a food fight.

It's basically professionally written bad fan fiction.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 11:11pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's basically professionally written bad fan fiction.
++++++++

Which is what all too many beloved franchises have become, these days. Slickly produced, but hollow and terribly written. Comics designed to force readers to buy every issue in a crossover just to understand one issue. TV shows and movies written more as a bunch of loosely-connected setpieces (with filler stinging them together, but no flow to the stories) which will hopefully pull viewers’ attention away from a Twitter for a few minutes. Meme-able moments designed for next-day posting on Reddit as GIFs, rather than character moments designed to get people talking.

And WOLVERINE: INFINITY WATCH. A title which manages to be both ridiculously inappropriate for the character for numerous reasons, and a rehash of a 90s title. Because we’re now moving out of the “strip-mine and nostaligia-milk the 80s”, and into “strip-mine and nostalgia-milk the 90s” territory. Sigh.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2019 at 11:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

"Infinity Phoenix Wolverine" is from the end of time. And deliberately over the top. I find it funny, to be honest, and it's supposed to be funny.

If you read the Spider-Man (Peter, not Miles) titles and IMMORTAL HULK and THE AVENGERS and CAPTAIN AMERICA and THE AVENGERS and some others, at least to me, Marvel feels more like MARVEL to me than it has in 20 years. 

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 4:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

If you read the Spider-Man (Peter, not Miles) titles and IMMORTAL HULK and THE AVENGERS and CAPTAIN AMERICA and THE AVENGERS and some others, at least to me, Marvel feels more like MARVEL to me than it has in 20 years. 
########################
Yes, those are more or less the titles I'm reading (plus Iron Man and FF) and I have the same feeling.

Edited by Sergio Saavedra on 21 February 2019 at 4:06am

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 4:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Clearly no one at Marvel read X-Men Annual 11 by Claremont and Davis where Wolverine gained the power of the Crystal of Ultimate Vision and rejected it because he wasn't willing to have the power of a god, and was ultimately just a human being that didn't want to be corrupted by the power.

Oliver Denker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 7:01am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"If you read the Spider-Man (Peter, not Miles) titles and IMMORTAL HULK and THE AVENGERS and CAPTAIN AMERICA and THE AVENGERS and some others, at least to me, Marvel feels more like MARVEL to me than it has in 20 years. 
########################
Yes, those are more or less the titles I'm reading (plus Iron Man and FF) and I have the same feeling.
"

Sergio,
I'm not really on top of things regarding Marvel these days. You say the classic characters are back. 
How did that happen? 

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm not really on top of things regarding Marvel these days. You say the classic characters are back. 
How did that happen? 
###############
In Amazing Spider-man, Peter Parker is basically the same unlucky, responsible and witty character I'm used to, and the stories are good fun so far.
Immortal Hulk reminds me a little to the Hulk of the first issues, but with a horror style that suits the character very well IMO.
Captain America's title is a little slow and sober, but the character feels right to me.
Tony Stark-Iron man has a lot of technology, virtual reality and so on, and the character is not excessively similar to that in the films.
Fantantisc Four has that feeling of family, adventure and humour.

If your question is what Marvel did narratively to justify their return, I don't know. I guess they made up some excuse in a great event, but It's been a while since I don't care about this kind of things.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

All of those tie ins were such a waste. I was in a comic book store a few weeks ago and they had a big bin of comics on sale. Most of them were tie in issues for Blackest Night and Fear Itself...events from 2010 and 2011 respectively. They are still trying to offload all this crap almost a decade later.

Jack Bohn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2019 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Silly thought: If editors and publishers came to the conclusion that superheroes were better when came in for three to five years and then move on, would their attempts to drive out the long-term, continuity-minded reader look any different to the last few decades? (But we just won't leave!)

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version