Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5
Topic: Biggest Reason I No Longer Buy Comics Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 February 2019 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

How was it done and why was it a great idea. Nothing about the premise screams to me “what a great idea!”
Back to Top profile | search

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I didn't read Thor during the Jane Foster period other than the first couple of issues and the end when the real Thor came back, so I'll play devil's advocate. Jane Foster as Thor is no more an invalid concept to some readers than Thor as a frog or Eric Masterson as Thor. 

I read Iron Man with James Rhodes in the armor for about 2 years. The same goes for John Walker as Captain America, and Eric Masterson as Thor. This era of readers have seen heroes replaced for long periods of time, so the concept is not new but Jason Aaron is a popular writer and he was allowed to tell his story. To the younger readers at my LCS, some who only know Thor as Chris Hemsworth, Jane Foster as Thor was very popular. So to them (newer readers), a woman taking the hammer was a great idea. Not my cup of tea but I didn't buy the book during that period but I wasn't going to bang my fist on the table of the store demanding that Thor return and certainly not be called "Odinson". 

One of the things that bothers me with Aaron's writing is that he doesn't seem to have a grasp on Thor's humanity (Thor always seems mad or drunk in his books IMO) and it felt like he was trying to prove Jane was a better Thor. 

Edited by Shawn Kane on 24 February 2019 at 7:22am

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Jane Foster as Thor was a pretty decent idea, and I think it lasted just long enough. (Ref. "What If-" #10.)

Anything more than that, of course, is just silly to me.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

While I do not enjoy the notion of Thor himself being rendered "unworthy" of the role, Jane's story of bravely battling cancer and accepting the setbacks involved in the constant transformations back and forth was well-imagined and packed a great deal of emotional impact. 

You want to bring back Ulik for one more punch-'em-up, that's fine. That's one way to do the book. Creating something of lasting value concerning the heroic sacrifice of one brave individual, finding her way in unfamiliar circumstances, and proving her mettle again and again against overwhelming odds, literally giving a little bit more of her life with each battle, was the direction in which Marvel chose to go for a while. Sorry you were inconvenienced. 

Hey, maybe now that he's back, Thor will get in a fight with Ulik.

BTW, that issue of What If was one of my favorites. Rick Hoberg did the art on that, and Dave Stevens was assisting him with inks around that same time. We know Dave was involved with Hoberg in the inking of What If #16 featuring Shang Chi. I look at some of those panels in What If #10 sometimes, however, and wonder...

Edited by Brian Hague on 24 February 2019 at 4:08pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The idea that she has cancer, the cancer is cured when she's "Thor," but comes back and reverses any progress via chemo when she goes back to being Jane Foster -- I thought that was a pretty brilliant idea. 

I just didn't like the real Thor -- "Thor Odinson" -- being "unworthy." 

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 February 2019 at 9:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Two reasons I stopped buying comics (about 6 years ago, after 40 years of collecting)
1) The stories had gotten too far away from the characters I knew.
2) I didn't need any more paper. I literally did not want anymore comic books in my house. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 5
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version