Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Crying Wolf Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 9:16am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Had the Smollett hoax happened a few months ago, perhaps people would have looked at the allegations against Brett Kavanaugh with a little more thoughtfulness and clarity instead of just immediately believing the supposed victim on ridiculous allegations that they simply wanted to be true.
Back to Top profile | search

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I think you need to consider due process 
as well. With the internet, we've reached 
an outrage mob mentality where we don't 
wait for due process to pass judgement. I 
think the Vic Mignogna, voice actor, case 
is an example. The prevailing winds are, 
he's a serial harasser of women and 
possibly female minors. He's lost his job, 
he's been banned from convention signings 
and labeled public enemy number one. Does 
he deserve it. Possibly. I know the 
stories that have come out makes me think 
he's a single guy trying to have a healthy 
sex life. Because of this, he's got a bit 
of a reputation of being a hound dog. 
+++++++++

The Internet allows people to inject themselves into he said/she said dramas like this. I’ve examined articles and videos covering both sides of the controversy, and I don’t know what to think. Certainly not enough to plant a flag on one side or the other, publicly take up a cause, and proclaim his guilt or innocence. Not my life, not my problem. I wasn’t there, and I don’t know the parties involved, so it’s not my place to pick a side and start shouting.

I will say that something about him has seemed a bit...off...in the interviews and whatnot I’ve seen over the years. And his ex-fiancée has come down on the side which believes he’s guilty (although that could arguably be chalked up to a bitter ex jumping on the bandwagon to kick him when he’s down). Yesterday, I watched a video of him discussing the matter with a crowd and fighting back tears. I still don’t know what to make of it. Genuine sadness and guilt over naively being too handsy with people at cons, or crocodile tears because he’s finally been called out? I don’t know.

What I do know is that the outrage mob mentality of the Internet is a dangerous thing. It’s one thing to voice opinions. It’s another to take sides in an argument. It’s yet another to inject oneself into a public controversy, to the point of lives being ruined, via doxxing and swatting and whatnot.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brandon Frye
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

QUOTE:
What I do know is that the outrage mob mentality of the Internet is a dangerous thing.

If the Covington debacle (wher you had a Hollywood director tweeting that teenage kids should be thrown into a wood chipper) didn't convince us of that, nothing will.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 10:41am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Create something with “sides” and cowards who would never hold a sign and march will become internet warriors.

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Trump is far from a "good guy".

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 February 2019 at 5:33pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I think this is where moderation comes in, the extremes just feed each other, maybe one is ten times more extreme that the other but that's like saying two wrongs make a right! Harassing people at restaurants is reactionary and extreme. If you are against extreme don't do stunts of any kind, be straight, be an adult. This Smollett guy was at best extremely juvenile. It's like a bad Punisher comic where the baddie is made out so vile and evil you want an extreme end for him at the hands of... what... an extreme? Not me, I like the detective shows where the law and order guy restrains himself and doesn't arrange for the accident to the baddie, but does everything they can to make sure law and order is applied. Same for masked vigilantes/super heroes... I do like some hero in there, not might makes right judge jury and executioner stuff... that's fascistic. And if he did give in and do something extreme he (or she) would wrestle with the implications of it, not laugh like Lobo. Okay, maybe Wolverine might not, but other characters would wrestle with the implications for him, if it's a Wolverine story worth reading anyway.

Trump is a good guy to people who seem to astonishingly really beleive in him. I'd love to be wrong about that but they still report as much as 33% support out there in polls for him (a confidence trick uses your own confidence against you remember, and people who have the expereince to know call him a con man).

Smollett is an extreme in trying to paint the other 'side' as extreme, and if they weren't enough as is he's obviously totally on the wrong track thinking one more incident would do anything, and if anything would help the denial factor it's one phony staged incident, now they can point to this idjit and say they do happen and there could be others, thanks Jussie! :^(

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 22 February 2019 at 5:36pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version