Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Crazy crossovers that actually happened! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Chelan Simmons appeared as a blithe narcissist Gretchen Speck-Horowitz on WONDERFALLS and HANNIBAL, both shows produced by Bryan Fuller. 

HANNIBAL also featured a nod to his show DEAD LIKE ME when that show's star, Ellen Muth, who had played George Lass, turned up playing Georgia Madchen (German for "girl"), a young woman with a psychological disorder that made her insensate and feel as is she were dead and decaying. When she is placed in a hyperbaric chamber and her condition reverses itself, there is a touching moment when she reaches out to touch someone and asks, "Am I alive...?" For fans of DEAD LIKE ME, the scene is quite moving. Of course, since it occurs on HANNIBAL, nothing good comes of it...

And Eric, I think I read somewhere that Richard Belzer's character Detective John Munch, originally of HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREETS has appeared on more shows for more seasons than Kelsey Grammar's Fraiser, but not by many. Munch was apparently on TV for 23 consecutive seasons on different programs, while Frasier was on for 20 seasons, tying the long-standing record set by James Arness's Matt Dillon. 

Munch has been on a number of shows including THE X-FILES, ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, 30 ROCK, THE WIRE, and THE UNBREAKABLE KIMMY SCHMIDT.

Edited by Brian Hague on 01 March 2019 at 6:36pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 6:42pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Although the character could not be named such onscreen, Carla Gugino reprised her short-lived, but much beloved title role as KAREN SISCO on Timothy Olyphant's JUSTIFIED in 2012. Both shows were based on books by Elmore Leonard.

Edited by Brian Hague on 01 March 2019 at 6:48pm

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I never watched Bones, but I watched Sleepy Hollow. They did a crossover. I don't think Bones had an supernatural elements before this.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One more: there was a crossover between Jack Webb's Emergency! and Adam-12, despite there being an episode of Emergency! wherein the characters were trying to not miss an episode of Adam-12.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Nothing beats the MAGNUM P.I./MURDER SHE WROTE crossover. Not even the WHIZ KIDS/SIMON & SIMON one. 

More recently, there was a SUPERNATURAL/SCOOBY DOO, WHERE ARE YOU? crossover.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 March 2019 at 7:56pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There was that bit in the A-Team when Dirk Benedict's Templeton Peck double-takes at a Cylon.

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 2:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

STARGATE SG-1 and DEAD LIKE ME

*A recently deceased/ascended Daniel is stuck in a purgatory that resembles a diner from his youth.  Daniel mentions that he remembers coming here once after a funeral and sits at the same booth where the DLM crew meet to get their assignments.  Daniel tries to order waffles (in a nod to the sets DLM incarnation as "Der Waffel Haus") and someone dressed in a meter maid outfit (Roxy) walks by the booth.

How about those crazy final-episode zinger crossovers?

*THE JEFFERSONS buying the Banks house (FRESH PRINCE OF BEL AIR)

*The epic "I just had the weirdest dream" (THE BOB NEWHART SHOW and NEWHART)

*The so-horrid-you-don't-want-to-remember finale of WEBSTER that crossed over with STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION.  (I hope Michael Dorn got time and a half for that crapfest).

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 6:28am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Matt, were you looking for character crossovers from shows (that you wouldn't expect in the same universe) that were both airing at the same time?
I'm seeing a lot of other deviations.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

There are a few crossovers between Mad About You and Friends, as well as the Dick Van Dyke show's Alan Brady appearing on Mad About You, as well.

MAD ABOUT YOU and SEINFELD. Kramer was actually subletting his apartment from Paul Buchman the whole time. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 March 2019 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Wile E Coyote appears on Night Court:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zh1pZqmxvmM

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 March 2019 at 11:40pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Doug Centers wrote:
...Matt, were you looking for character crossovers from shows (that you wouldn't expect in the same universe) that were both airing at the same time?
I'm seeing a lot of other deviations...

Doug, I was mostly talking about character  crossovers (or guest appearances) from other shows that were not seemingly connected.

It doesn't matter if they aired at the same time. For instance,  I would count something like the episode of "Fresh Prince" with The Jeffersons, even though Jeffersons were no longer on the air,  because they are still those characters. 

What I am not counting are actors famous for a role that guest appeared on another show as another character. That's just an actor playing a different role, and is not the same as a character from one unrelated series popping up in another series.

Also, something  like Maude appearing in "All In The Family" wouldn't count,  for instance, since her show was a legitimate spinoff that clearly was a part of the same TV universe.  But,  Star Trek characters appearing on Webster would count, because who would think those two shows were part of the same reality?

Edited by Matt Hawes on 03 March 2019 at 11:42pm

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2019 at 3:41am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Magnum, P.I. and Simon & Simon also crossed over. It was that crossover that boosted Simon & Simon in to being a Top 10 hit.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version