Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Social Media Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2019 at 6:22pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Adam, I didn't mean a lack of social media would cripple the internet, per se, I meant that if Twitter disappeared, all the users would migrate to some other similar platform. The only way to prevent this would be to cripple the internet i.e. not allow people to use the available technology freely.

I think the herd mentality is a concern with social media. How quickly people react without really thinking too deeply about it. The sharing of disinformation is a part of this, as you rightly say.

As for Twitter going out of business, no I would not say it constrains freedom of speech. There is a key difference between a company mismanaging itself into failure and a company being outlawed for its content. One is a corollary of free enterprise. The other is censorship.

Edited by Peter Martin on 18 March 2019 at 6:26pm
Back to Top profile | search

Michael Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

People get banned from Twitter. It's a private corporation. It can do that. Does that hurt their freedom of speech?

Uh...you do know that a court of law ordered the President of the United States to unblock people on his PERSONAL Twitter account because the judge ruled blocking them was a violation of their First Amendment rights?

Try this, what if you local power company decided to cut off your electricity because it didn't like the way you expressed your political opinion?  If it's a private corporation...would that be okay?

Mike

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2019 at 4:51pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

People get banned from Twitter. It's a private corporation. It can do that. Does that hurt their freedom of speech?

Uh...you do know that a court of law ordered the President of the United States to unblock people on his PERSONAL Twitter account because the judge ruled blocking them was a violation of their First Amendment rights?

----

Apples and oranges. The judge ruled that because of the way Trump was using his personal Twitter account, it should be considered a designated public forum, and thus subject to any First Amendment rights associated with a public forum. That's neither here nor there for the average Twitter user.

Michael Bunge
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Not to be too argumentative but what if John Byrne was hired by Marvel (it's just a hypothetical), became the biggest star in the business, and people sued for getting banned from THIS place?  He'd be a public figure and if this was the primary way he communicated with the public, how would THIS not arguably become a "public forum."

But the bigger point is that Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, and social media in general now plays a massive role in our political discourse.  If those companies ban, shadowban, or censor you, that significantly impacts your ability to participate in public debate as it currently exists.  You do not see a problem with that?  Is that because they're private businesses or because you don't think it will ever happen to someone you like?

Mike

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 2:55pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think if JB became the biggest star in the business, this site would still be his personal fiefdom. If he won a seat in the senate and used this site to run his campaign or communicate his senatorial message, then that public forum designation would likely apply.

Jon Levin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 March 2019 at 6:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Um.. JB was and is in some minds still is the biggest name. No offense to Neal and Walt and Jack and Stan and all the golden oldies but John was the trifecta. He could write and draw and he can edit his own work and if he is hard on other writers and artists - it's to make them better.

Guys like... well almost anyone in the early 90s were lazy and sloppy and they cared much more about money than they did about story-telling and art and then they have the gaul to bad mouth JB behind his back and pretend he is their idol and best friend on social media. And everyone else has been trying to keep up with Byrne ever since and even if he never writes or draws another panel again - as far as I am concerned his legacy is secure. But I digress.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version