Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Game of Thrones Final Season Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 2:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There's one fan theory that Cersei would rather ally herself with the Night's King than give in to anyone else being in power. 
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

One flaw with that theory: Would Cersei be so foolish to think she'd remain in power, or even still be alive, if the Night King defeated everyone else? The Night King doesn't need her, but the other armies do.

Back to Top profile | search | www

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2019 at 11:56pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Nobody's spoken to the Night King or has any idea of his motivations. Not that I buy the theory, but for all Cersei knows, the guy could be reasonable or even better, horny. He was willing to strike a bargain with the likes of Craster, why not the Queen of the Seven Kingdoms?

Doubt it, though. For me, the show's great disappointment has been how it treats the White Walkers as a force of nature rather than a foreign culture. Tolkien's orcs had way more personality, while still being 1000% eeeeeviiiiil. An episode among the Others could have been thrilling. For all we know there's an undead Tormun Giants-Bane in their midst, clicking wise in the icy tongue. Instead all we know about White Walkers is they create art. I guess there's still time in the next five episodes for some society and diplomacy, but I'm not giving in to hope.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 12:54pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I assume we're into non-book related speculation here, so since The Night King has been raised, I continue to hear revisitations of a several year old quite far out and yet sort of intriguing theory about his identity.  Avert ye gaze now if you don't want to hear

INVISO TEXT (Click or highlight to reveal):
Bran is the Night King.  The Theory has been raised for years ever since Bran was grabbed momentarily by the Night King in one of his wargs.  This seemed to create a connection between the two and we have seen that everything The Night King touches from babies to dragons turns into a white walker.   Bran and the Night King wear similar clothing.  This all seems incredibly circumstantial, however, and far from conclusive.  It also creates quite a chicken and egg paradox.  Still, the GOT boys do like to salt in visual and audio clues years in advance (HODOR!) and one fan theory suggests that in the recap for the most recent episode we saw that old clip where Bran was informed he would never walk again but that he would fly.  The obvious assumption is that this referred to his warging, but mere moments later in the recap the fan says we saw the Night King flying on the back of the undead dragon.  It's a tantalizing notion and would be a major twist but it seems hard to justify, though both the Night King and Bran do seem to share that rare warging ability, so there is something maddeningly fascinating about the notion, however farfetched it may be.  Thoughts?

Edited by Rick Senger on 17 April 2019 at 3:47pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:07pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Learn how to use the INVISO tag. 

[ INVISO ] Put spoilers here, instead of making them a bright white that is easily readable. Remove the spaces within the brackets. [ /INVISO ]

See!

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 1:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Thank you for the reminder.  I used to do this but it's been years since I needed it so I forgot the procedure.  Obviously this is a potential major twist so I suggest anyone responding also do so in this manner to avoid spoilerage.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 6:36pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Bob: Along with IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

---

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

As a child in England I saw on the BBC a short film about a man who was shown how the world would be had he never been born. Decades later I saw IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE for the “first time” and realized that “short film” was the last half hour (or less) of that movie.

Don’t watch GoT, tho.

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2019 at 9:15pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Septa Unella sure gave a whole lotta angels their their wings whilst ministering to Cersei.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The inviso theory above about the Night King's identity has been debunked by showrunners.  I'm still hoping that the Night King wins and this goes down as the most depressing TV show ending in history.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Scene with Tyrion, Cersei, and ...Elmo?

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Steven, I have had my doubts from the start but it is amazing how fan rumors and theories persist (this one for years).  The Night King's status as the ultimate villain of what is arguably one of the most popular shows in cable history is also tied to his status as an enigma; we know surprisingly little of his origins, beliefs, character or true motives (he's not much of a talker!) and yet he's a pretty scary fellow. 

An argument can be made that the mystery surrounding him adds a layer of mystique.  Still I wouldn't mind knowing just a bit more. 

We know the children of the forest created the white walkers and the Night King in an earlier war, but how things went so awry from there remains elusive to me.  

Another question: there are white walkers and the Night King but there are also apparently sub-leaders of specific white walker groups.  One such sub-leader was killed with dragon glass last season and when he went down, his whole group of dozens of white walkers also instantly went down (though one, strangely, did not; I've wondered whether that one walker surviving wasn't part of a preplanned gambit by the Night King to trap Jon Snow etal and lure the dragons into position so that he could turn at least one, which he did.  For various reasons, that seems likely in hindsight.)   How are the white walkers controlled?  It seems like the Night King has ultimate control.  So if you kill the Night King will all white walkers go down? 

If so, that would suggest the Night King should really lay way back since while he is highly powerful, he also represents the greatest vulnerability to the white walkers.  The Night King is somewhat protected behind the hordes of white walkers when Jon Snow arrives but he doesn't seem to be shying away when the battle is joined and the dragons attack.

I suspect the books go deeper than the show has gone in explaining the Night King's history and nature but it would be nice to know a little more of the context and backstory behind the climactic showdown all the characters are barrelling towards.  If GOT doesn't address it I suspect the prequel will.

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version