Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 11 Next >>
Topic: Game of Thrones Final Season Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

How about Jaimie telling Tyrion that he doesn't care about common people.  Considering the fact that he was willing to take the brand "king slayer" and become dishonorable in order to keep the mad king from burning the commoners...this line of dialogue is pretty much character assassination. 

-----

What?!? It was perfectly in character for Jaime. It was a bit of dry humor while he was in a situation where he had resigned himself to being powerless to change anything. If Jamie had been going, "OMG we need to think about the smallfolk!" THAT would have been character assassination.
Back to Top profile | search

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yeah, the noble Jaime who shoved a kid out a window to cover up the fact he was fathering children with his sister doesn't care about common people?  How dare you!

Pretty laughable criticism, man.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Could Dany have easily laid waste to Kings Landing as soon as she arrived in Westeros? Obviously, yes. They even discussed it at their war council meeting on Dragonstone early in season 7 but dismissed the idea because they didn't want to kill all the common folk who would be the real victims in that scenario. That led to them trying different things like a siege and attacking Casterly Rock. None of which panned out and just kept chipping away at Dany and her support. 

Her destuction of the capital is the result of her continued losses and frustrations about her conquest not happening the way she thought it would. She has been betrayed by those close to her (Jon, Varys, Tyrion) and lost those closest to her (Missendei, two of her dragons, her relationship with Jon). Those factors combined with the darker side of her personality & temperament that we've seen glimpses of over the entire series clearly set the stage for what happened.

Those claiming that it wasn't "earned" either haven't been paying attention or failed to recognize the warning signs.

The tragedy of Danerys' storyline is that she has tried to break the cycle of despots and has instead become the thing she feared the most. The daughter of the Mad King has become the Mad Queen.

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:32pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Good news is that a ton of people are talking about the show and it's broken a lot of viewership ratings.  

Bad news, is that a lot of the talk is negative and the meme's are flooding the news circuit.  Without a doubt the show's legacy is going to be in trouble if the finale doesn't hit the right notes for people.  

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:39am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

It's legacy will be that it's one of the most popular TV series of all time,  and some detractors won't stop that. Yeah, there will always be critics who feel it went off the rails at the end, like what happened with other shows,  but it's overall legacy as a great series is still pretty darn safe.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I read that there`s a petition of a couple of hundred
thousand signatures requesting it be re-filmed with new
writers. So it`s really a vocal minority for a change!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

What an idiotic disaster it would be if any creative entity ever took such a petition seriously.  Welcome to a world in which all entertainment is banal, lowest common denominator tripe.  With happy endings, all the couples pairing off, and a funny bit with a dog.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Steve>>With happy endings, all the couples pairing off, and a funny bit with a dog.<<

Or "Twilight" as I call it. Wait--that didn't have a dog.  Unless you count Jacob.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:30am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Cersei has been for me a particular disappointment the past two seasons, or so -- since being "shamed," I would say. It's a pity such a dynamic and quotable character was essentially reduced to glaring with a silent smirk.

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:05am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It's legacy will be that it's one of the most popular TV series of all time,  and some detractors won't stop that. Yeah, there will always be critics who feel it went off the rails at the end, like what happened with other shows,  but it's overall legacy as a great series is still pretty darn safe.

----

I think that's easily open for debate now.  The amount of negativity that I've seen for the these last few episodes tops what was seen for the endings of Lost and Dexter amongst others.  I think the legacy of the show is FAR from safe at this point and we really will only know for sure until all the dust settles years from now.  

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

As a cultural phenomenon, I think the show is the biggest ever. More than LOST, more than BREAKING BAD, more than THE SOPRANOS (that doesn't mean it's better than those shows).

The criticism of this season is valid though, because it's notoriously rushed and poor in its narrative and borderline incoherent. But the show's legacy in the culture is safe, I think.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 1:37pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Hell, despite vocal critics there isn't even a consensus that the show is no longer any good. There was more of a consensus about LOST and SEINFELD turning rotten towards the end, and they are both still hailed for being noteworthy and popular shows.

Yeah.... I still think the legacy of GoT is safe.

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 13 post reply

Hell, despite vocal critics there isn't even a consensus that the show is no longer any good. 

I take it you haven't been on social media much this past week? 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 14 post reply

Update: More than half a million fans are asking HBO to remake Game of Thrones’ final season:

The fact is Season 8 should've had more episodes to rap things up.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 16 May 2019 at 4:19pm

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:40pm | IP Logged | 15 post reply

-------------------------------------------
"My opinion is Season 8 should've had more episodes to rap things up."

Fixed that for you.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:42pm | IP Logged | 16 post reply

And again, everyone who signs that petition is an idiot who should be ignored.  Game of Thrones doesn't belong to the people who watch it.  Its an artistic expression.  If you don't like it, don't watch it.  If you're pissed off, cancel your HBO subscription.  But you don't get to tell creative people what they have to do with their creations in order to satisfy you.  The idea that they should is entitled whiny nonsense that is absolutely destructive of art and creativity.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:45pm | IP Logged | 17 post reply

One last note, since the last episode was watched by more than 40 million people, we're still talking about a small minority.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 5:05pm | IP Logged | 18 post reply

-------------------------------------------
"My opinion is Season 8 should've had more episodes to rap things up."

-----

I think adding rap to GAME OF THRONES would be way out of left field, especially in the eighth season. They should just wrap things up and redo it from the beginning if they want to make a musical.

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 19 post reply

One last note, since the last episode was watched by more than 40 million people, we're still talking about a small minority.

Yeah, at this point only a small fraction of the people who actually are dissatisfied have probably even heard of there being a petition. I can't imagine how high the numbers would be if everyone who was upset responded.  Plus, there are people who are upset or let down that probably don't even care to sign.  The last three episodes have been a mess from multiple stand points, but I'm not signing a petition based on that. 

Either way, if anyone were to look at reddit, Facebook, instagram, and other social media outlets, it's become pretty obvious that majority are not happy with the season.  

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 20 post reply

Either way, if anyone were to look at reddit, Facebook, instagram, and other social media outlets, it's become pretty obvious that majority are not happy with the season.  

——

Going by those same sources, everyone was boycotting CAPTAIN MARVEL. All the way to its billion dollar box office. Social media is a poor measure of general audience reception. 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:57pm | IP Logged | 21 post reply

Benny Hasa wrote:
...I take it you haven't been on social media much this past week...

Right, which is why I have a broader view. ;-)

Social media is not the general public, it's a club house.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:00pm | IP Logged | 22 post reply

Michael Roberts wrote:
...Social media is a poor measure of general audience reception...

Correct. The loudest shouting often comes from the smallest groups of people.

If I ever let Twitter dictate what I like, or how I live, I am in BIG trouble.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:05pm | IP Logged | 23 post reply

"More than half a million fans are asking HBO to remake Game of Thrones’ final season"

Let's see those people put their money where their mouths are and pony up the dough for the budget. In any event, it's a sad, pathetic pipe dream. Those who don't like the latest season, get over it and wait for the books to see if that suits you better (and it well may). However, does anyone out there truly believe that HBO will bow to the petition. Never mind the budgets, and all that... this baby has wrapped! Actors, writers, directors, and all the crew have moved on and now have other commitments. Suck it up, snowflakes. If you don't like the episodes, don't watch the last one. Me, I plan to check it out this Sunday night.

Benny Hasa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:07pm | IP Logged | 24 post reply

Social media is not the general public, it's a club house.

I would argue that Facebook/Instagram is the general public at this point.  

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:30pm | IP Logged | 25 post reply

I see very little about GoT on my FB or Instagram pages, but I only have friends,  family, and customers on my friends list or whom I follow. I don't friend people I never had any real contact or communication with, so it seems I avoid much of the more vitriolic fans on the sites.

While many of the people I am friends with on social media may be fans of genre television and books, they don't tend to represent the more rabid fan groups one may find on some social platforms. If you immerse yourself in such groups,  your world view may become obscured and seem larger than it really is. 

<< Prev Page of 11 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version