Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV << Prev Page of 23 Next >>
Topic: Game of Thrones Final Season Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I understand the artistic choice to create a literal fog of war and set everything in darkness to the point where you can't even tell who you are seeing is the living or the dead, the good dragon or the bad dragon until it breathes fire or ice. And the super fast edits to distract from the fact that everyone you love on the show should have been dead from a hundred bites and cuts a dozen times already. But I'm not sure obscuring crucial scenes is the best approach to cinematography. The real hero of that Game of Thrones episode was the sad piano score. Not today, dialogue.

All of that said, still loved every minute of it.
Back to Top profile | search

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 6:26pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I have a brand new 4K TV, and I didn't see s--t. And I'm good at watching things.

For me, it was poorly staged, poorly edited and poorly directed. It was confusing and unintelligible in places it shouldn't be.

As for the "it felt you were really there/it was supposed to be confusing" defense... it doesn't cut it. It's a TV show, not a Universal Studios ride.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 7:19pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I thought it was utterly gripping. For an 80 minute episode, it flew by. I didn't feel the battle felt confusing at all, and the parts where you literally couldn't see anything (not the compression artifacts) were ominous.  
On the compression issue, I only had it block up a bit (getting it off the satellite, for me). The compression certainly could have been coded better, though.  It'll probably look swell on blu-ray.
As for Arya's finishing move, I recalled the foreshadow with the Arya/Brienne fight so it was more satisfying than surprise for me.
There were numerous emotional moments, the most when Melisandra asks "what do we say to the God of Death?"
Honestly, I'm shocked anyone could avoid being entertained by that.  Ah well.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 April 2019 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Seasons 3 and 4 I first watched on Blu-ray and they did look amazing for it.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

InTheDark

Wow.

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Wow indeed.

I rest my case.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:18pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There was such a huge build up to this episode, the potential for an anticlimax could have been realized in many ways, and those could be fairly debated (and some have been already).

But this was just too dark. I have a brand new television and I know how to calibrate it accurately. The episode was incredibly difficult to watch.

Whatever else about it may be arguable, for me, the lighting was simply a failure.

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 12:11am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Fair enough.  I disagree.  Worked for me.  I'll take it every single time over "day for night" shooting that has always looked off to me in all the wrong ways.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 2:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I didn't mind the darkness at the beginning of the episode. I thought that was actually quite brilliant and beautifully shot with the swords on fire and all that. It was once the winter foggy stuff rolled in with the Night King and the dragon fights that things got really hard to make out what the hell was going on. It was still an utterly gripping episode.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Watching the flames of the Dothraki blades being snuffed out one by one off in the murky distance was chilling AF! 

I will continue to openly laugh at those complaining about the lighting of that episode.  The darkness...the fog...THE SOUNDS....It brought you into the battlefield and made you a participant (mostly with your ears) instead of a detached spectator (like how you usually are when 'watching' TV.

Loved every second.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2019 at 8:11pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Reek is finally dead. That makes me happy. 

Arya was fucking awesome. 

The Daenerys/ Jon Snow dynamic is gonna be really interesting from here on out. 

(How odd is it that my iPhone spell check wants to change “fuck” to “duck” every time I type it, but it will correct “Daenerys” if I misspell it?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 03 May 2019 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Brian Miller wrote:
Reek is finally dead. That makes me happy.

Interesting.  His death didn't elicit the same reaction in me.  I was sorry to see him go even though I knew it was inevitable.  His arc was one of the most compelling in the series for me.  

<< Prev Page of 23 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version