Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7
Topic: Q for John: Creating Beta and Gamma Flight Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2019 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Richard: with your feelings about Heather taking the suit being so strong, how did Marvel convince you to draw her "headshot" for the updated MU Handbook? 

••

JB: They didn't.

---

That head didn't look like your style.

I'm guessing when Marvel had the heads re-inked for the Deluxe Edition, they had the inker add that one (and Talisman & Box?) and give Aurora a haircut. 

Edited by Nathan Greno on 09 April 2019 at 1:53pm
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2019 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

James Woodcock wrote:
Re Mantlo and quality of writing - I do think his Micronauts went off the rails when it got its second series.I struggled with that one.

If you mean New Voyages, Peter Gillis wrote that one.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2019 at 2:54am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Some thoughts about those AF headshots:

(1) Always intrigued that Heather (as Vindicator) isn't wearing her vizor (as was the case with several Mignola covers after she had donned the uniform).

(2) Those Aurora (short hair), Box and Talisman headshots were used on the covers in JB's run so had always assumed he had drawn them - the comments above suggest that may not be the case. (JB - Aurora and Box definitely look like your work, but did you do the Talisman head?)

(3) Interesting that Box's real ID is shown as Roger Bochs and joining AF in issue 24. Technically, Walter Langkowski was Box when he joined the team. Pedantic? Me?

(4) Given that Heather as Vindicator is shown, why no Madison Jeffries? I'd always assumed that he was a member of the team by this point.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2019 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

After reading Mantlo’s AF, now I don’t know if I want to spend the money to get it. I love his Micronauts and Hulk, his Spider-Man work is ok, but AF is just BAD.

Bill Mantlo was the HULK writer when I first started reading that title. And he was there for a pretty long time. I've revisited some of those issues since they were published (and I was around 11 years old). They don't hold up at all. They're boring. Which is probably the worst sin of all in a superhero comic. 

I realize Mantlo has been in institutional care since 1992 and I wish he wasn't, I wish he was in perfect health, I have nothing against him as a person, but when JB took over THE INCREDIBLE HULK it really was a breath of fresh air -- and man I wish it hadn't been for so few issues!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2019 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Dave, I actually liked Micronauts: New Voyages but it was my introduction to Micronauts and I probably wouldn't have liked it as much if I'd read the former series. My favorite Mantlo stuff is probably Rom. I recently repurchased the entire run out of nostalgia. It didn't hold up all that well, unlike JB's Alpha Flight which I've reread several times over the years and now have the omnibus of as well as the original issues, but was still enjoyable enough.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2019 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

My introduction to the Micronauts was the crossover miniseries with the X-Men. After that, I picked up the special edition issues that reprinted all the Golden issues. And a few years ago I got the rest of the series. I liked it, but nothing was as good as those first 12 issues. Although, I do really like the X-Men crossover. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2019 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Hard to beat Michael Golden on art. Although I really liked the Kelley Jones art, which is some of his earliest work, on New Voyages. I got that X-Men and Micronauts mini too, Brian, and remember really liking it at the time but haven't read it since selling my first comic collection at 18 because I was giving up comics (yeah, right). Didn't Jackson/Butch Guice do the art on that? I remember liking the art and enjoying the story a lot but almost nothing else about it now. I'd really like to reread that mini. I've been buying back all the stuff I read as a kid and teenager and enjoyed. Hopefully it won't be too pricey on E-bay since the license for Micronauts isn't Marvel's anymore (though they kept a few of their original creations for it like Bug). 

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2019 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

If you mean New Voyages, Peter Gillis wrote that one.
------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------------
Ah, forgot that. Thanks for the reminder.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2019 at 5:23am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Yeah. Butch Guice. 

The interesting thing about that series is that it had some major repercussions on the Micronauts title, but it was never mentioned in the X-Men after that. IIRC

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2019 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Bill Mantlo was the HULK writer when I first started reading that title. And he was there for a pretty long time. I've revisited some of those issues since they were published (and I was around 11 years old). They don't hold up at all. They're boring. Which is probably the worst sin of all in a superhero comic.

========================================================

I enjoyed Mantlo's Hulk up until the last 16 issues or so, then it seemed to really go off the rails.

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

From the X-Men-Micronauts LS, the only repercussion in X-Men I remember is that it contains the 2nd appearance of "evil" Xavier after UXM #106 (fill-in/inventory issue that curiously was co-ploted by Bill Mantlo!!!). "Evil" Xavier would later lead to the infamous Onslaught entity!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 7
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version