Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: New comics 04/17/2019 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here’s what I’ll be picking up from my LCS when I get back from holidays next week (seeing my newborn grandson this week):

Amazing Spider-Man 19.hu - Let’s see what the lizard does.
Spider-Man life story 2 - I enjoyed the first issue, now it gets interesting.

Back to Top profile | search

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 12:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

AQUAMAN #47
DAMAGE #16
JAMES BOND 007 #6
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 1:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You know, this was a group of really entertaining comics - all very different - a fun night of reading last night for sure!

AMERICAN CARNAGE #6 - This book keeps getting darker and more interesting, really compelling stuff.

ANGEL 0/BUFFY #4 - The relaunch really started to click with me this week as they seem to have taken a real step in a new direction other than 'here's the characters you like that are mostly the same but a little different.' Angel's first book is solid too, bringing a new character to him.

BLOSSOMS 666 #4 - These Archie horror books are usually fun little things and this no exception.

WAR OF THE REALMS - As a big superhero crossover type story, this is a pretty good one so far, it certainly helps that it's focusing on the Asgardian characters I like the most.

GIDEON FALLS #14 (number might be wrong) - This book does a great job of keeping you off center in what to expect and then doing something really compelling to keep you coming back.

Edited by John Popa on 18 April 2019 at 3:09pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 2:44pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

EAST OF WEST #42 - Ending at 46. This has been and continues to be one of my favorite comics on the stands. In my opinion, it's Jonathan Hickman's best. Sad to see it ending, but glad to have read it.

AMAZING SPIDER-Man #19 - HU - Another damn HU issue I said I was going to quit getting but then it has The Lizard on the cover and he's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. Maybe not getting the NEXT HU issue. Definitely not dropping this series though. 

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #4 - Starting to get why Donnie Cates is so popular having only read Babyteeth by him prior to this. Pretty fun comic.

ELECTRIC WARRIORS #6 - Love Travel Foreman's art and premise was interesting enough. Last issue of the mini-series. 

BATMAN #69 - Another book I keep meaning to drop but they keep having artists like Amanda Connor, last issue (last week even, I thought this was bi-weekly), and this issue Yanick Paquette. The Knightmares story line though has been another Tom King miss for me unless this finale wrapped it up in a way that makes it seem less pointless. 

TRUE BELIEVERS #1 - AVENGERS THANOS THE FINAL BATTLE - Yikes on that title, but love these dollar reprints and my son wanted this which is just a reprint of Infinity Gauntlet #6. (Not sure why they changed the title.) He loves Thanos.

Edit: Just realized I used the phrase "on the stands" which doesn't really apply anymore, does it? On the shelf at the LCS doesn't have the same ring to it.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 18 April 2019 at 2:45pm

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 3:10pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Sorry, but what's a 'HU' issue?

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

John, it's like a supplemental issue to the regular issue featuring the current HUNTED story line. So there was an issue 19 last week and this week we get a 19 HU. To their credit, they are written by series writer Nick Spencer so they aren't completely superfluous. Each one focuses on a different villain that's being hunted by Kraven son and company(along with Spider-Man). I will say the Gibbon issue was actually quite good but the book is already bi-weekly!

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Thanks for the clarification -that seems odd to me, though :)

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2019 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It is very odd and seems a bit of a cash grab. Why not just work those issues into the main story?

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 2:40am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well I guess some people wouldn't like an issue called Amazing Spider-Man that barely has Spidey in it. I thought the Gibbon issue was fantastic, in fact Spencer's whole run has been really good so far.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I'm late posting so I've actually read a couple. Congratulations on your grandson, Phil!

G.I. Joe A Real American Hero #261- Larry Hama can still juggle storylines without making you feel lost. 

Avengers No Road Home #10- This has been the best Avengers story that I've read in years!

Daredevil #4- I read this one. I like how the Punisher is handled in this story.

Spider-Man Life Story #2- Passed on #1 but my LCS is going to get me a copy. 

Thor #12- Read this very Loki-centric story. I still struggle with Aaron writing a Thor book where Thor isn't the focus.

Tony Stark Iron Man #10- This Controller storyline has kind of drug on.

Uncanny X-Men #16- I hope that they stick the landing with this storyline because I'm not really big on a couple of things that have happened so far. But I'm still liking this book.

War of the Realms #2- Read this one and I'm out. The art is great but I'm just not into the story.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2019 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Leigh, but it's still called Amazing Spider-Man. The only difference is the numbering. I agree about that Gibbon HU issue and Spencer's run in general. Still don't understand why the HU stories could not be worked into the main numbering, but I've bought every one so far so I'm part of the reason why they are doing it. Because people who like Spencer's Spider-Man run will buy them.

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2019 at 1:06am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

DC:
Aquaman #47

Archie:
Blossoms 666 #3

Boom! Studios:
Black Badge #9

Dark Horse:
B.P.R.D. The Devil You Know #15