Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Inking Question for John Byrne (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 1  

Matthew T. Carpenter, Sr. wrote:
I have to agree with you on this.  I've been doing a bunch of reading on inking tools and techniques.  I've read that most inkers don't like markers and have read where they have instructed people to not use them - the reason being that 1. Marker will fade over time and 2. That you can't get the same dynamic line you can get with a brush.

Why is 1. a problem?  Are they making archival quality art or drawing a comic page for scanning and printing?

Regarding 2., I think you can get a variety of line if you spend enough time with a marker as your tool.  I loved the use of ink washes (brush dipped in diluted india ink) in HUSH for flashbacks.  Ultimately, you can use anything it takes to make the mark you want to lay down on the page.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 2  

JB, in Generations, I and II, did you create all the batmobiles as 3d models?

There was no modeling in G1, but in G2 and G3 there was quite a bit. Almost all the shots of the various Batmobiles in G2 were models.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 3  

I've read that most inkers don't like markers and have read where they have instructed people to not use them - the reason being that 1. Marker will fade over time

That depends on the marker used. Sharpies, for instance, are "permanent", meaning if one treats a piece drawn with a Sharpie with the proper respect -- not hanging it in direct sunlight, for instance -- it will last. I have a Neal Adams page from BRAVE AND BOLD that was drawn about 35 years ago, much of it with marker, and not a single line of it has faded or even reddened.

+++++

2. That you can't get the same dynamic line you can get with a brush.

That depends on the artist. It is true that markers -- especially fine point, which are best for the kind of inking we're discussing here -- don't have much "give" and cannot be depended upon to produce line weight variation "automatically", as a brush does, but in my own case I tend to sweep back and forth across the same line several times, when penciling or inking with markers, and this puts in the necessary variation -- with, I might add, a degree of control not possible with a brush.

As always, it comes down to "your mileage may vary", but I think it is profoundly foolish for any professional to condemn the use of any tool based on his/her own experiences with that tool. The best advice is always "Find what works for you."

John Mietus
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 8:05am | IP Logged | 4  

JB, have you ever used any of the "brush"-tuppd markers? We used to
make extensive use of those at JKS.

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 11:02am | IP Logged | 5  

Ed Deans wrote:
Why is 1. a problem?  Are they making archival quality art or drawing a comic page for scanning and printing?

Don't know.  It's just what I had read in different places.  My gut told me different though.  I love technical pens.  I spent several years as a draftsman for a site plan consulting company and "cut my teeth" on mylar and ink.  I had read where some people had used this as a technique as well, but not as widely as a brush.

Ed Deans wrote:
Regarding 2., I think you can get a variety of line if you spend enough time with a marker as your tool.  I loved the use of ink washes (brush dipped in diluted india ink) in HUSH for flashbacks.  Ultimately, you can use anything it takes to make the mark you want to lay down on the page.

I will have to look at HUSH when I get the $$$ to buy it.  I'm saving for Batman Forensics Files right now.  My kids and my house take most of my $$$, so even an extra $20 now and again can be kinda tough.

Thanks a bunch for your replies and input.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 6  

John Byrne wrote:
..."your mileage may vary"..."Find what works for you."

My gut told me what you said above and as I spoke about in the above reply.  I think getting some good paper will help me as well.

Oh, and practice...

It's encouraging to know that one size doesn't fit all.  Thanks again for your time all your input, it's much appreciated.

Joe Boster
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 7  

I like the Micron Pigma Pens and Brush pen. Still like the Sharpie for Spotting large backs. They are all very portable and I can keep a project or 2 in my briefcase and play when I have free time. Which is why I don't paint 30mm figures any more...
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ed Deans.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 3:27am | IP Logged | 8  

Matthew T. Carpenter, Sr. wrote:
I will have to look at HUSH when I get the $$$ to buy it...Thanks a bunch for your replies and input.

A quick note on this, I skipped HUSH 1 and didn't miss a thing either in art or story.  Glad my input was of interest.

One additional... don't attempt to "save money" when it comes to a good marker. The Bic markers aren't worth the plastic they're molded in my opinion. When we're talking about Sharpies, at least *I* am talking specifically about Sharpies. From what he's said, I think JB is talking about that line of markers too and not talking about them in a generic sense (correct me if I'm wrong, John).

I just remembered they have archival quality marker if that's a real concern for you, btw. Staples or similar office supply has a good selection of Sharpies in my experience.

Disclosure statement... I'm not connected with Sharpie, Bic, Staples or any competitors.

Edited by Ed Deans. on 27 April 2005 at 3:36am

Guest79877180
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 9  

Ed Deans. wrote:
When we're talking about Sharpies, at least *I* am talking specifically about Sharpies. From what he's said, I think JB is talking about that line of markers too and not talking about them in a generic sense (correct me if I'm wrong, John).

I took that literally from both of you.  I swear by Sharpie brand as well.  The problem is when your family continually makes them "disappear" or your 18 month old son gets them and writes all over everything you own - including himself!  Gonna lock those markers up...

JB mentioned earlier in his career that he used a type of felt tip marker that had a blue hue to it.  Funny thing is that I can remember using a type of marker that might have been similar to what he was using when I was a kid.  The ink had a sort of bluish-black hue to it.

Ed Deans. wrote:
Disclosure statement... I'm not connected with Sharpie, Bic, Staples or any competitors.

Possible second income for you? Selling Sharpies?

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 4:11pm | IP Logged | 10  

In my "art teacher mode" I'd advise everyone to try ink, brush, and pens.  Try markers, techincal pens, ballpoints, or whatever.  But most people have experience with markers since pre-school, so the tough one is usually to convince artists to try the pen and ink!

Jacob P Secrest
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 4:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

The few times I've dabbled in inking it's been ultra-fine point sharpie all
the way, mainly because I'm already familiar with markers and they're
cheap enough and readily available enough to fit my (no job) high school
student budget.

Al Flores
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 April 2005 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 12  

Rapidograph's are so hard to keep clean, but they do make it easier for me then the pen and ink.
I like a few of you here can not seem to keep a steady hand when inking, and many a good drawing, have gone to the trash on account of this.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version