Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: 38 Years Ago Today.... FF #232 hit the racks! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2019 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

38 years ago ... SHUT UP! - i remember buying it and going home and reading it in the kitchen like it was yesterday !!!

Edited by Paul Reis on 22 April 2019 at 11:37am
Back to Top profile | search

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2019 at 12:01pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Wow, I remember that day. Had to get to the store right away after school to make sure I got a copy of FF, Iron Man and Peter Parker.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 April 2019 at 8:04pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was there for that! If I worked at Marvel I would be reaching out to JB now to see if something could be worked out for the Fantastic Fortieth anniversary of this issue.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I bought FF 232 off the spinner rack based on JB - I loved the last X-MEN issues, and had read previous FF sporadically.  

Reading this was a thunderbolt - it redefined how I saw the FF and it became the best monthly read by far.

It’s such a great kick-off to an amazing run.  And that cover is kick ass!

Jonathan A. Dowdell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I bought FF 232 at the Fairway Drug Store in Dresher, PA (along with Iron Man 148). I had taken almost a year off of the FF because I did not care for the creative team/direction. I was so excited about Mr. Byrne's arrival I actually bought 231 in anticipation of his first issue. After reading 231, I regretted spending my 50 cents. We now know what was to come...

Edited by Jonathan A. Dowdell on 23 April 2019 at 12:57pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

It’s fun to see how many of you have specific sense-memories connected with this issue. I have them for so many comics I bought as a kid. That Australian reprint that introduced me to Batman and Superboy, bought in a fish market in West Bromwich, England. My first real BATMAN in the magazine department of Eaton’s department store on Jasper Avenue in Edmonton, Canada. My first FF from Mike’s newsstand, also on Jasper, tho about four years later. My first (SHOWCASE) GREEN LANTERN, from a United Cigar Store, also in Edmonton. My first (BRAVE & BOLD) HAWKMAN from the grocery floor of Woodward’s department store, ditto.

Remembering reading FF13 lying on the living room rug, eating KFC with the other hand. Even remembering NOT buying the Kuurgo issue of FF (7) because I didn’t like Sue’s face on the cover (also at Mike’s).

So many more!

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember reading #232 in the backyard of my house as a child while sitting in a lawn chair. Things from that issue, like how Susan used her powers in new, inventive ways stuck out to me. That, and wondering who the heck this "Bjorn Heyn" guy that was now inking JB! 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

He wasn’t a huge success. I don’t think he got any further work in comics.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Notwithstanding the inking on this book :), the thing I remember is NOT where I bought it - but I was getting my books pulled at a friendly local comic book shop, so it wasn't a decision I made upon seeing it. John Byrne + Fantastic Four = BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!! I recalled the FF cameo in X-Men #136 (sic?) and loved it. A whole FF character sequence in one panel!

No, my memory is that Sue was melting on the cover and the splash page - and then was "reconstructed" in the book with a brand new hair style. I didn't like it, but I loved that she was recreated, regards to her look. Well, that and that Ben Grimm is a true hero and always will be. It seemed that in the 60s, Stan's favorite character; I concluded, from this book, that Mr. Byrne's favorite character was the Thing.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

About Susan's new hairdo... I had read several of the reprints of "The Fantastic Four" in "Marvel's Greatest Comics," and the Fireside Books trade paperbacks ("Origins of Marvel Comics," etc.), so I knew that for the first several years of the FF, Susan regularly changed her hairstyle. When I read #232, I didn't know how permanent her new hairstyle would be, but I was fine with the change.

Of course, like Jack Kirby, JB would continue to give her some new hairstyles on occasion. And like Kirby, after JB left the title, it seemed most everyone else that took over the title was afraid to mess with her hairstyle.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 11:24am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I had subscribed to the FF shorty before, but was very disappointed in the Moench/Siekievitcz run.

They were the wrong people to be "doing" the FF. Read MOON KNIGHT and it's clear what sort of stories they were better suited for. 

Who was writing THE DEFENDERS that year? J. M. DeMatteis? 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2019 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think I've enjoyed every other comic I've read written by Doug Moench. Sienkiewicz is a okay in small doses. Sometimes he's too crazy, but he brought new life to New Mutants.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version