Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne Says/Draws (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

While I am bummed that "Elsewhen" won't be officially published by Marvel, I am appreciative and thankful that JB intends to share the work with us fans on the board.

JB, as far as inking goes, given that the series will be a fanfic sort of thing, will you be inking the work yourself, or will it be reproduced on the board straight from the pencils? (For the record, I will enjoy it not matter what!)

Back to Top profile | search | www

Larry Gil
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 2  

I think it would be a perfect time for a hardcover Art of John Byrne book.
 IDW did a great job on the Jim Starlin Hardcover.
Maybe a Vol1 & 2 with this series in it if at all possible.
Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 10:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

Well, the amount of time some people have for pointing at motes in the eyes of others is in inverse proportion to the time they could spend making something new, and hopefully positive, of their own! I would feel more positive if twitter and facebook were more venues for someone creating rather than re-hashing someone else's life or living by proxy.

Here is a guy (JB, Mr. Byrne) who creates high quality cool stuff, so even if he does say something that might seem a little off, if he did, I would cut him some slack... but someone who does nothing but pick through old conversations of people they don't really know and snip and cut and paste and 'recreate'? What is that but a self-appointed nothing. I'm already capable of being a nothing fine all on my own thanks. :^)

If I ever peed on anyone's creative barbecue that is something I will try to make up for the rest of my life! Don't be trying to fan flames because you might just be blowing them out. :^(

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 4  

Andrew Cate wrote:
What I find interesting is how Bleeding Cool can create an article from a quote they took from from John Byrne Says that took a question that I asked here on the forum.

It's Rich.  That's what he does.  Longtime members of the forum remember Rich for what he was.  Nuff Said.  

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 5  

Just glad to know JB is sharing his story/art with us here... never really believed Marvel would make a deal JB would be comfortable with.

-C!

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 6  

JB's generosity with his process and sneak peeks during the creation of Elsewhen cannot be denied, but I would gladly pay a premium to access his personal projects and sketches via a website like Patreon. It is hard to believe someone could be deluded enough to invent a "bad" story from everything that transpired over the last year. We are almost a year to the day of JB's first post showing page 1. It's been a fun year watching this unfold no matter how you slice it, but I guess some people with an ax to grind will find fault no matter what transpires. Time to shrug the pretender sites off and get ready for a retro comic celebration.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 4:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Eric L., while I agree with a fellow Eric about getting access to Mr. Byrne's projects, sketches, opinions, etc. - why would you think we're not getting such here? I mean, he's obviously not giving away product that is for sale, so he didn't print every bit of, say, his Star Trek work.

But he did give us discussions, highlights, models, etc. He's outstandingly open. He's almost embarrassingly available with his work. I agree with your intent... but I think we get his good stuff anyhow.

As for Big Bad Byrne stories... pygmies can stretch as much as they want, and raise as much ruckus as they wish... but they'll never be giants, no matter how much they want it.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 June 2019 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 8  

Deconstruction and critiquing of entertainment media has been taken to absurd levels. Fans are far too quick now to not only be curious about, but actually demand, the most intricate and abstruse details on and from creators and their works. Peeking behind the veil has become full-on voyeurism. As a result, the creator-fan relationship can often become very abusive in both directions.

In my opinion, those of us who aren't in the business should take a step back and enjoy the work for what it is, indulging in the intended illusion, rather than going to the nth degree to break it down. That way lies madness.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Manuel Soler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 7:53am | IP Logged | 9  

I find that Marvel is letting escape a big oportunity with no publishing Elsewhen and it's a real big loss for lots of readers.

Edited by Manuel Soler on 08 June 2019 at 7:53am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 8:17am | IP Logged | 10  

sigh

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 8:19am | IP Logged | 11  

This John Byrne Says character should be forced to post under his real name, that would end his "activities" fast.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 June 2019 at 9:14am | IP Logged | 12  

Eric L., while I agree with a fellow Eric about getting access to Mr. Byrne's projects, sketches, opinions, etc. - why would you think we're not getting such here? I mean, he's obviously not giving away product that is for sale, so he didn't print every bit of, say, his Star Trek work.

But he did give us discussions, highlights, models, etc. He's outstandingly open. He's almost embarrassingly available with his work. I agree with your intent... but I think we get his good stuff anyhow.

•••

There is an Internet myth that the JBF is some kind of gulag, where my most rabid fans band together against anyone who dares express a dissenting opinion, and where legions of otherwise innocent souls have been banned “just” for disagreeing with me.

So, rather than consider the truth maybe, possibly being something else, there are people who will eagerly gobble up the lies and unfounded rumors served by other sites.

And as we see, this includes presenting baseless speculation as fact.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version