Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne Says/Draws (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 June 2019 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 1  

That same girlfriend I mentioned before had more than one observation on the workings of the fan mind. For some, she said, the monthly experience of reading a comic book took on the form of a "conversation" between themselves and the creators. A conversation they expected to have continued in such instance as when they actually met the artists or writers.

But, for those artists and writers is was not a conversation, it was a monolog. And that is a sharp distinction.

I'm not trying to paint myself as all innocent--tho I am more sinned against than sinning--but not a few Big Bad Byrne stories were born out of people expecting to be greeted as bosom buddies and instead finding themselves just a face in the crowd.*

It's a reminder of just how intense the comic reading experience can be for some people--especially the damaged ones.

* An important lesson I learned sitting next to Jonathan Harris years ago at a con: when someone would approach him speaking of a prior meeting, Harris would say "What a wonderful memory you have!" Immediately excused himself for not remembering the occasion--and made the fan feel special. Brilliant!

Back to Top profile | search

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 June 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 2  

Why am I seeing Spock with one raised eyebrow saying "fascinating"? Oh you human beings! :^)

In music people learn not to interfere in the process(es) in the recording studio, you don't want to eff up the magic for artist or engineer/producer. You don't even offer suggestions too strongly when asked. Like they know artists are wide open in certain ways and you might be taking them on some weird detour not even realizing it. It's hard to learn, you are going to totally blow it sometimes and just try to learn from that and not blow things the same way again. That old Johnny Mercer song to 'accentuate the positive' is essential at times. If a professional is overly gruff with you it's because they are dealing with something they've dealt with before and lived the huge waste it represents to them, you haven't. Most of the time they can handle taking something with a grain of salt, but there are times when they are in the middle of something creatively that you are not, or even really aware of. Back off, don't double down and press anything. You'd think that would be basic common sense. Also, if you don't connect with this piece or person maybe the next one up will be the bullseye for you, if you haven't closed off to that.

Not to blow my own horn, and this was ages ago now, but I did have a few people who worked in comics say to me how not a fan I was, but I had no real appreciation for what they meant by it, in fact even felt maybe I should be insulted the first time someone said that to me, because I am a fan darn it all! And really so were they, every one I met that still had some real enthusiasm for comics left in them. I think I have this over-analyzing dry dissecting information gathering side that can rub the wrong way looking from 'outside' but I have all the emotion and enjoyment, so neither in with the great sequential graphic narratives of literary import crowd nor the totally obsessive 'these characters are my life' true believers who want to be 'inside' somehow. I was really sour on the whole thing for a long while though, I could rant about fans turned pro with the best of them, but I'm glad the primary stoke cam back and I've been able to really enjoy reading comic books again of fairly wide range.

I used to be pretty apologetic for 'bothering' anyone, thanking them for their time, and even passing on meeting or writing to some I could have when the opportunity was there. Every bit of information and enjoyment I've gotten from this site is all a huge plus, long may it continue! The few times I've looked at other creators' Twitter feed I've felt it seemed shallower somehow, a business promotion necessity rather than a real commitment where there is a dedicated website and accumulated archives.

The desire to share is louder than any minor squabbling and a firm foundation. I usually have felt that I can't share enough to pay forward, and just feed everyone's 'stoke' as it were along with my own. May we bring out the best in each other more (without forcing).

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 11 June 2019 at 11:34am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2019 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 3  

It's really bizarre and scary that a complete stranger would impersonate you (JB) or anyone online. I'm glad to know you have a small corner of the web where you can clarify anything said.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2019 at 3:54pm | IP Logged | 4  

Could there also be some kind of jealousy thing? Like the old 'I was born to draw/write __________' which I've heard over and over (most famously Todd McFarlane circa 1986 being born to draw Spider-Man). Fito DeLaParra may well have been born to be the drummer for Canned Heat, but other than him, and Jack Kirby with Captain America, I'm pretty dubious about such claims. I guess these might be people who imagine if they'd had John Byrne's lucky show-biz breaks they'd behave or write/draw so much differently/better?

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 12 June 2019 at 3:55pm

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

Seems like this particular troll has shut down. Not without a few last shots (including that I “refuse” to have a gallery here) but I’ll take it.

Now, perhaps, people will actually come here—assuming they want the truth and not what is spoon fed to them.

Brennan Voboril
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 June 2019 at 3:17pm | IP Logged | 6  

I love how he says he was promoting you.  Yeah, with an image ridiculing you, and stealing your art in order to draw people into his sick mind.  

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2019 at 9:41am | IP Logged | 7  

It did read like a form of sickness to me, with the extra layer of living in a bubble with Twitter enablers that were telling him that he was doing a great thing, so he kept doing it even more.

Ed Aycock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2019 at 1:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

Richard Stevens- is that the Donut Dip in West Springfield?

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 June 2019 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 9  

Richard Stevens- is that the Donut Dip in West Springfield?

-----------

None other! I fell in love with it when I moved up here. It's so good, so real.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 4:32pm | IP Logged | 10  

Here’s a conversation I had today with someone who posts the daily ELSEWHEN pages on “BYRNE VICTIMS: For Fans of comic artist John Byrne” over on Facebook... (at his request, I removed his name below) 

So I suggested... 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 4:49pm | IP Logged | 11  

He’s uploading pics to Facebook while at a red light?!?

It can wait, dude. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 12  

Also, I find a bit weird the idea that former members are wary about viewing the pages on this forum. I could perhaps understand that attitude if this site were monetized, but it’s not. The pages are on a commentless thread. What difference does it make if they go there?

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version