Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: John Byrne Says/Draws (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 1  

There were just enough mentions of these sites at the Dallas con that I feel I must once again remind everyone (as I did there) that they have nothing to do with me. They copy what I post here--despite my requests that no one do so--mostly out of context.
Back to Top profile | search

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 2  

Just an idea: how about a watermark on the corner of any commissions or art pages you post here saying something like "more@Byrnerobotics.com"?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 3  

I think John is saying they copy the anecdotal text that accompany images as well Koroush. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

True, and obviously that's not something that can be prevented if the culprits intentionally ignore JB's wishes.

But, for example, right now, a certain person who reproduces JB's material on Twitter under a misleading premise ala this thread's title has reproduced several full pages of JB's commissions in recent tweets. A watermark or small bit of text with a reference to this site's web address in a place that's not too obtrusive, but can't be easily be cropped off could help steer people in the right direction.

I notice that the numpty who runs that Twitter feed is now acting indignant that JB posted this thread, making out as though he's doing nothing untoward. Yet he's the one constantly posting JB's words and images in what can only be described as a totally disrespectful, if not outright deceptive, manner.

A grammar tip: in the English language, if you are quoting somebody else, it is grammatically correct to use quotation marks, or offset the text, to indicate a quote, and a clear link to the original source is typically expected as well. If you post the text without these, especially under a misleading heading, then you are potentially deceiving others into thinking that you are John Byrne.

Edited by Koroush Ghazi on 07 May 2019 at 5:33pm

Darren Taylor
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:11am | IP Logged | 5  

I'm not really familiar with the Account in question, mostly because I know to come here and Twitter isn't really my thing! 

But one would imagine that there are 'perks' to being an 'influencer'. So If Josephine Bloggs gets no likes because she isn't famous but starts an account Winston Churchill says: They probably get more 'members/friends' than they might otherwise. They also potentially influence viewers opinions on Winston through their selected/curated posts. 

If they post nothing but good things, then people unfamiliar with Churchill have that view of him. 

Point being, it is a responsibility and one that -could- potentially have perks. 

The other part of this is that, of course, it could remind a wider fan base of the love they once held for comics and bring them back...I mean, like one in every thousand but it could happen.

Ultimately the initiated here know that this is the only place on the web where you can get it from the horses mouth (Sorry John). But as Douglas Adams says; 
“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Andrew Cate
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 6  

What I find interesting is how Bleeding Cool can create an article from a quote they took from from John Byrne Says that took a question that I asked here on the forum. 

Edited by Andrew Cate on 08 May 2019 at 8:54am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 7  

The latest:

Apparently lacking sufficient material to misquote, they’re resorting to flat out lies:

“I’m not really sure how John can say ‘He’s decided’ not to take it to Marvel when reading that thread over the last months has clearly shown Marvel gave up any interest a long time ago and John wrote about his frustrations of them not getting back to him.”

By all means, read the thread. See if you can find evidence of Marvel “losing interest”.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 9:11am | IP Logged | 8  

Any chance this book could be published at IDW? I know that was a possibility at one point. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 9:13am | IP Logged | 9  

It was under discussion, but not a “possibility “. Lots of hoops to jump thru.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 10  

I’m really sad it didn’t happen but thanks, JB, for sharing here. 

How many issues have you completed?

Are you still actually working on more issues now that you know the book isn’t happening?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 9:20am | IP Logged | 11  

I STARTED the book knowing it “wasn’t happening “. My original intent was to “publish” here, as free fan fic. Marvel expressed interest, and that diverted things for a while, or you would have been getting this months ago.

Chris Ryall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 June 2019 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 12  

It makes me crazy when people who couldn't possibly know the truth opine on things like they are any kind of expert, especially in comparison to the person who was actually having those conversations.

It's clear to all of us with proper reading comprehension that he's off-base. I just don't get why someone who's built a following in quoting some things you say would then try to cast doubt on the veracity of those statements. But he's wrong, which is evident to anyone who's followed the thread.

I appreciate that people really wanted to see this--as did I--but him lying about the situation seems a bad way to handle that frustration.

Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version