Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Jack Kirby in question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 12:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

To Nathan: that’s not the cover I saw. It was definitely the published 236 cover but with Kirby. Until JB just said he had been erased I thought at the time they just covered Kirby for publication, then uncovered for whatever it was I saw. It must have been a photoshop job by someone.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oliver Denker wrote:
...I wasn't aware of Ed Hannigan's involvement in the FF's cover designs. There you go, always something new to learn and from a direction I've never suspected...

It wasn't just FF. Ed Hannigan was the designer of many, if not most of the Marvel covers of that period, in the early 1980s.

About that... was there a regular cover designer before Ed, like maybe John Romita? And after Ed, did/does Marvel employ a regular cover designer?

I recall Carmine Infantino designed a number of covers over at DC.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Michael Golden designed covers for a while.

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 1:52pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Wondering about the order to all of this — obviously, Ed (or whoever) couldn’t design covers until he know the interior story. Were the covers typically drawn after the interiors were finished? 

From what I understand, these days the covers need to done months in advance for PREVIEWS. I’m thinking the process may have changed over the years... maybe? 

Oliver Denker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Matt Hayes wrote:
...About that... was there a regular cover designer before Ed,...

Marie Severin did an awful lot of cover designs before Ed.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Interestingly, the process of finishing the cover art many months in advance of the publication date for PREVIEWS isn't an issue if the artistic team has several issues in the can and isn't missing the deadline. I wonder just how many books are operating with 1 or 2 months lead time? Perhaps many cover designs were done with only the plot known. JB, what is the least amount of info you have received to do a cover on a book where you didn't do any interior art?

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 3:57pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember reading that Jim Starlin was doing a lot of cover layouts for Marvel before he started writing & drawing issues.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Covers were typically done after the interiors at Marvel, while DC often did the cover first, then built a story around it.

The DSM, with its demand for promotional material three months in advance, pretty much wrecked that.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 5:04pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Gil Kane did some great cover designs, although sometimes a bit generic, maybe they were for use as needed  at times? I think he did just the layouts for a little in the early '70s at Marvel too. I remember some Kirby Marvel covers from the middle '70s finished by Adkins or others for comics he didn't work on the interiors, a couple of The Avengers ones are favorites. The problem with Golden covers (and Bill Sienkiewicz later) is so often they didn't remotely match the inside style, as a young reader they sort of confused me whereas a Romita, Cockrum, Byrne or Milgrom usually fit right in.

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 09 May 2019 at 5:05pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Nathan Greno
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

As a kid, I RARELY had the extra cash to buy a comic ONLY for it's cover. Those were some rough days for me at the spinner rack -- "Look at this awesome GIJOE cover by John Byrne... BUT I DON'T READ GIJOE!!!!"

Sometimes the planets would align -- JB would draw a fill-in cover for a comic I was already collecting (THANK YOU, ROM!)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 May 2019 at 9:56pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

In my comic collecting/reading days, I much preferred for the interior artist to do the cover as well. For example, Brian Bolland used to do some fantastic covers for Animal Man, but then it always meant the interior art somehow seemed inferior (with all due respect to whoever did the heavy lifting of drawing all those interior pages).

I preferred it if what you saw on the cover was what you were gonna get inside.

Interesting to learn that Ed Hannigan had a hand in some of those FF covers, particularly FF244. Great cover (awesome splash once you open it as well!)

Edited by Peter Martin on 09 May 2019 at 9:56pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2019 at 1:24am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I like painted covers, but I don't usually care for painted interiors.  The Marvel magazines of the 70's and 80's (and Will Eisner's SPIRIT magazine) were pretty much a dream for me.  Sometimes though, painted covers on the monthly comics seemed a bit like overkill.

Some of my favorite covers are drawn fully by Hannigan--I'd like to know which of his layouts I also love.

Was it just one artist laying out the covers for all the books for certain periods?  I'd really like to know who was the cover guy for each period.  I think it sort of went like this:

KIRBY--Most of the 60's
ROMITA--Late 60's/Early 70's
KANE--Early 70's?
STARLIN--Mid-70's?
KANE--Did Kane come back after Starlin?
HANNIGAN--Late 70's/early 80's

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version