Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Jack Kirby in question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mr. Picture by Numbers sounds like tons o' fun. /eyeroll
I don't think his dot connecting is going to reveal anything meaningful. You may have hit the nail on the head initially, Nathan, when you questioned what motive there was to avoid the truth? Going through old interviews and not allowing that plots, ideas, etc. change right up to the scripting of a comic book prior to publishing seems narrow minded.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 3:49pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I asked Ed Hannigan about his duties going cover design at Marvel and DC. Here is the exchange:

Me, "I know that Mr. Hannigan designed many covers for both Marvel and DC, but I was curious to know if he took over that position at either company from another artist and if so who?"

Ed, "My best recollection is, it was a new position at Marvel, created for me. When I went to DC they made it an official position, I believe.
Dave Cockrum took it over after I left."

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:57pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Is Ferran Delgado the person pushing this? He was going on about this awhile back. 

One thing I wanted to ask JB. Shooter claims it was his idea to make Phoenix a villain. I never heard that before. Is that true?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Nope. The idea was first floated to Chris and me by Steven Grant.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I guess I made him upset. He wrote this to me:

“"Old notes"? Seriously, Nathan Greno? I have the complete PLOTS, no notes.”

So I guess he’ll be posting old Claremont plots that will reveal the original plan for all of this — including the original plan to kill Phoenix. I’m interested in seeing what he has... but I’m not sure how it will blow our minds. I guess we’ll see. Exciting times.

•••

Most mysterious. By this point Chris and I were doing “phone plots”. We’d discuss what was to be in the issue, and then I’d draw it. I’m not sure what these written “plots” might be.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

The creative process was: 
–Byrne and Claremont plotted it by phone, sometimes Byrne had more input, sometimes Claremont added more stuff. Only they know who had the ideas.
–Both took handwritten notes during/just after the phone call.
–Claremont developed and typed the plots from his notes, which doesn't mean that the ideas came from him. He often added extra input not talked with Byrne.
–Byrne might use Claremont's new input or not.
–Claremont would try to include his discarded input through the dialogue.
–Claremont would recycle his discarded ideas when Byrne left the title.

++++++++

I guess this guy was actually in the room with Claremont when you two were working on X-Men.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

So I guess he’ll be posting old Claremont plots that will reveal the original plan for all of this — including the original plan to kill Phoenix. I’m interested in seeing what he has... but I’m not sure how it will blow our minds. I guess we’ll see. Exciting times. 

Nathan, he already went through the whole explanation on the Terry Austin fan page if you're chomping at the bit to know the whole story. lol

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

YES–Byrne and Claremont plotted it by phone, sometimes Byrne had more input, sometimes Claremont added more stuff. Only they know who had the ideas.

YES–Both took handwritten notes during/just after the phone call.

NO WRITTEN PLOTS WERE SENT TO ME–Claremont developed and typed the plots from his notes, which doesn't mean that the ideas came from him. He often added extra input not talked with Byrne.

DIDN’T SEE “NEW INPUT”–Byrne might use Claremont's new input or not.

CHRIS OFTEN WENT OFF ON WILD TANGENTS, BUT THESE WERE NOT “DISCARDED INPUT”–Claremont would try to include his discarded input through the dialogue.

STORY IDEAS AND BITS I DIDN’T WANT TO DO DID TURN UP LATER, BUT THEY WERE NOT “DISCARDED”–Claremont would recycle his discarded ideas when Byrne left the title.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:07pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thanks for clarifying, JB.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 9:38pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It would kind of defeat the point of the Marvel method to have the scripter and artist run through the plot verbally and then have the scripter write up copious pages of detailed page-by-page plot. That ain't the Marvel method.

Did Marvel ever operate in those days via a process of typed plots being submitted to editorial for approval? 

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2019 at 11:22pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Chris said (during a convention panel) that when doing the Wolverine series with Frank Miller that by the last issue he discussed the plot with Frank over the phone, then wrote a plot that was about a page long to send to the editor.

(This is just to confirm such a thing might be done--don't know if it was done with X-Men.)
Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 May 2019 at 2:03am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

So what is the point of the guy Nathan is posting about? Is he trying to present himself as some great investigative journalist who has some shocking expose? Does he want us to believe there was some great coverup concerning the origins of the Dark Phoenix Saga?

Yeesh... how pathetic, if so.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version