Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 14 Next >>
Topic: Jack Kirby in question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:18pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Also found this "reveal" from the FB poster... 

The original...

Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

What IS he trying to prove?

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:23pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I feel like I'm reading a conspiracy thriller, except the conspiracy is concerned with minutiae that no one would care to lie about.

If Claremont typed out the plots AFTER he discussed them with the artist, either for the editor or for his own purposes, what's the point of comparing his plots with the final product? JB wasn't working from that.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:25pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Is there really a big "reveal" there,? Given the period of publication, it's pretty obvious that either editorial or the Comics Code Authority objected to the language.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Nathan, does this guy ever really come up with something worthwhile? Everything I've seen posted here is stuff you can find in old interviews and fanzines, and such, and none of it truly points to any grand scheme. Does this guy have some point? Is he trying to say Claremont, JB, or someone associated with the series was or is lying about something? And, if this is the case, why does he think anyone would do this?

It's no secret that writers and artists plan things over the course of a series, and sometimes change those plans, or alter them in some way.

I really don't understand what this guy's motive is, other than trying to garner his fifteen minutes of web-based fan-fame?

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:31pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Claremont's was ever a man of WORDS -- rich, thick, leisurely words -- who to the frustration of his colleagues -- would fill a panel generously with those words he LOVED. 

Fill them with those words -- the best he had -- till they were fit to BURST.

The only PASSION that rivalled his love of words was the odd use of... ELLIPSES.

Eric White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:33pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I am at a loss trying to figure out what he's out to prove. Everyone involved have said there was a give and take throughout the whole Dark Phoenix saga. I'm sure Claremont typed up all kinds of things throughout the whole storyline that he tossed out or were changed or modified and JB has talked about his ideas as to where he wanted the story to go and how it ended up the way it did. 

Comics Feature even ran an article outlining how #137 came to be...I'm not sure how much more needs to be said. 

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:14pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This guy's posts are amusing, and I'm guessing his motive is just to attract attention and seem like some kind of "comic book insider".

What an intense Uncanny X-Men fan he is!!

-C!

Robbie Moubert
Byrne Robotics Member
Evertonian

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This seems to be his reasoning for DOFP originally being intended to be a graphic novel:

This news item from TCJ #52 mentions a forthcoming deluxe book...

...which Peter Sanderson mentions during the interview from TCJ #57...

On the section I've marked in red he says "Focus on this part. No doubt that Byrne means Days of Future Past."

He's posted the splash page of Kitty entering the Danger Room calling it "The introduction of the new member, Kitty, in X-Men #141." He seems to forget that Kitty had already appeared in several issues already, including appearing in costume in #139.

He also presents the panels of Kitty being creeped out by Nightcrawler which JB refers to in the interview excerpt above. He seems to think this is further proof that DOFP was going to be the deluxe book.

Finally, he posts this...

...saying,  "Ad draw by Salicrup. Nobody understood why he drew it, but the answer lies in this post."

This is how he introduces the topic:

"DAYS OF FUTURE PAST--THE GRAPHIC NOVEL.

When I say that sometimes the information is known but you just need to join the dots, I'm not kidding. A clear example of this is 'Days of Future Past.'

In the The Comic Journal #57 (cover date July, 1980) interview, Byrne talks about the upcoming direct-sales book (not yet labeled as Graphic Novel) and describes the contents showcasing the introduction of Kitty and his relationship with Nightcrawler, as seen in #141!!!

Not only that, it sets it chronologically during the realization of #137, when Jim Salicrup was still the editor (he left when Shooter ordered to change the making of #137). This would explain why Salicrup drew the silly ad and other things.

Various news at the age supports the GN idea, aside of key info that I'll publish once I finish with the Dark Phoenix Saga.

Remember that the first graphic novel was The Death of Captain Marvel and it was published in January, 1982."

Two plus two equals five anyone?

Edited by Robbie Moubert on 15 May 2019 at 10:00pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:13pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

He's a tool in love with the idea of everyone waiting in baited breath for his next 'publication'. Having those directly involved giving us first-hand testimony pales in comparison to his joining of the dots.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 12:16am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

The one single thing he's said that I am surprised by is that it's true, Shooter
forgot that Roger Stern was editor when the idea of making Phoenix a bad guy
first came up.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 May 2019 at 4:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

What a maroon 

<< Prev Page of 14 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version