Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: The Big Bang Theory finale Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I liked the way they "cleaned up their sandbox" in the final two or three episodes. I kinda missed seeing Laurie Metcalf, but I guess you can't have it all, and what they had was plenty enough.

I loved the final episode(s). They showed me both that the writers still know what they're doing... but there's not a lot of fresh territory to cover. Good stories, sure; but I dunno if anything new could have been forthcoming.

And the last scene was just heartwarming. Characters had grown and changed from episode one... but nothing that would adulterate a future reunion.

Great finish to a great show. I think they went out with a.... nah, I'm not gonna say it. :)
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Every time I tried to watch I got my “convention headache”. But I can understand why it might appeal to others.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 May 2019 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

A very good series finale. Excellent capper to the show. 

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 1:20am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

We still have a half seasons worth of episodes to go, so it'll be a while before we get to the finale.  That said?  What was once a hilarious romp has, to me, become a chore.  Don't know when it changed.  Season 8? 9?  Whenever it happened, it did and BIG BANG became "less than" for me because of it.  What was once a biting look at fandom and an uncompromising look at the characters that inhabit that world has, over the last few seasons, become a treacly, feel-good, touchy-feely series that it wasn't for its first eight or so seasons.  Changes in showrunner definitely was to blame for me.  I'm at the point where I'm pot-committed to finish but don't really care if I do. 

This may be a "me" thing as I've divorced myself from traditional network television and three camera "live" before a studio audience BIG BANG is as traditional as they come, but I also think there was a concerted effort to change the tone and tenor of the series and that's what I'm reacting to as well. In the end, I think the series will suffer from lack of repeat viewing from me in a way FRIENDS, CHEERS and others do not.  YMMV.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 6:22am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

During the retrospective episode, they showed some clips that I was busting out laughing at even tho I’d seen all of them before. And that usually happened multiple times an episode. The last few seasons, not so much. Now it’s YOUNG SHELDON that gets some good laughs. I think we stayed with it to follow the characters and relationships more than anything. That said, the last 2 episodes were a good ending to the series. It felt like the day after for the characters would just go on per usual. Except maybe Sheldon would be more aware of things other than himself. His speech was very touching and you could see that Parsons was about to lose it. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Don't tell my wife I said this, but while I'm not as down on the later seasons as Matt seems to be, I do think the series had run its course. That said, I really think they stuck the landing on the last three episodes (counting this one as two and adding last week's). Ending with some nice emotional breakthroughs rather than having the crew all go their separate ways or some other attempt at a "shocking twist" was greatly appreciated.    
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Agreed, Dave. 

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, no problem with the show's tone at the end.  They are all 10 years older now, some married with kids and living different lives so it makes sense things have changed.  My principal complaint is that the show has begun to repeat itself so it's a fine time to exit.  The Finale was solid and Sheldon's denouement touching.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

BTW, THIS is funny.

Eric Smearman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 May 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yeah, I loved that!

Brian Miller