Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 13 Next >>
Topic: Impeachment? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 3:53am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mark Haslett, the proceedings would need to uncover enough information to make a re-election impossible. I didn't bring that point into my second post. The hazard with impeachment proceedings is shooting and missing. Since I don't see much killer instinct on display with empty chair hearings I am very skeptical. When ignored subpoenas result in arrests, people being dragged before congress and forced to testify I might get hopeful.
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 7:46am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The older Democrat leaders are understandably afraid that impeachment proceedings will repeat the chain of events seen with Clinton:
- the House votes for impeachment against a President from the opposing party
- the impeachment motion dies in the Senate, which has a majority from the same party as the President
- voters in the next election are sympathetic to the President and his party, feeling the impeachment was really about politics rather than criminal acts, and vote them back to power

I am not saying it's right. But Pelosi and other veterans think it is better to just let the stink of Trump's misdeeds fill the public's mind, and let them vote accordingly in 2020.

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The Clinton impeachment proceedings WERE about politics. The current proceedings would be about criminal acts, but his ability to throw other people under the bus and avoid harm can't be underestimated. Don't shoot and miss.

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Republicans are too spineless to vote to get rid of him, anyway. Besides, we'll end up with Pence the Jesus Freak taking over, and they'll have to either rein him in or get rid of him once he starts trying to do a lot of garbage that violates separation of Church & State. 

(Same reason he won't last long if he ever gets the chance to run and people are stupid enough to elect him.)

Edited by Brian Floyd on 22 May 2019 at 8:30am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:35am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I believe that impeachment would fail. Why?

ITEM: I think that while the Republicans control the Senate, the Democrats will never get the votes to convict in the end. Simple math will defeat this process.

ITEM: We're talking about a team who cheated, lied, and obstructed justice to get the man elected. Why assume they would make any less of an effort to save his ass against impeachment? We haven't heard of any political assassinations yet, but it's what Putin would do... his puppet would likely play that card if there were a TRUE threat.

ITEM: Mitch McConnell is wily old bastard, and I'm certain that he has his own bag of tricks to bring into play... and he's not nearly as stupid as Trump.

In my opinion, you'd have a better chance getting him out of office with a team of sharpshooters - another unimaginable and abominable consideration.

I believe the best solution is the 25th amendment. Trump is an old man, the oldest we've ever had as president. He has MADE his mistakes and they've appeared on the broadcast media. They can't be defended or spin-doctored with near the ease of impeachment charges. There could be excuses for "falling in love" with a foreign dictator (Dog alone knows them...). What alternate excuses to senility could there be for not being able to say "origins", or to regular misspellings in tweets? In such insular behavior as has been described in his seclusion every morning for hours while he tweets and watches "Fox and Friends"?

Best of all - and maybe even truthfully - this can be intended as concern for Trump. We can't let the President subject himself to such humiliation, nor can we risk him doing something accidental to himself, or the United States. Let's just subject him to some basic intelligence and behavioral observation and tests. No one wants a sick man to suffer.

I think that's got a better shot than impeachment. Shucks, if Trump is getting tired of this conflict, even HE might take that way out. There's no shame in being old... we're all trying to achieve that!

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

An impeachment trial would put Trump in his element as ringmaster and game show host. I thought he came across as a complete idiot asshole on The Apprentice, yet it helped elect him president, so christ only knows how clowshoeing through impeachment could burnish his reputation. 

I think the solution is for the House to hold granual impeachment hearings until sometime around next October, and postpone any vote until after the election. 

That way the Trump Administration gets fairly aired (running up new and exciting obstruction charges in the process, not to mention even more breathtaking graft and corruption than the tip of the iceberg we've seen), but we're spared a circus in the Senate (although I think McConnell would attempt to assert himself as alpha primate by declining to dignify the House shenanigans by even bringing them to the Senate.)

Edited by David Miller on 22 May 2019 at 11:07am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:55am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Unfortunately, I doubt he gets impeached.  He SHOULD be impeach though.  Right now, I suspect the Dems are wanting to focus more on the 2020 election as it's about 18 months away.  This election is quite possibly the biggest and most important Presidential election in US history.

Regardless of impeachment or not, it's far more important that he or one of his cronies do not re-take the White House.

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:01pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Nothing says “I am not a crook” like saying “These investigations must stop if you want to get anything done.” What a fucking turd this asshole continues to be.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 1:36pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Pelosi is aware that the Senate will not impeach right now so she wants clean investigations with any sort of actual findings based on evidence and facts so thick, that if the Senate tries NOT to convict, they look like they are corrupt themselves... that kind of exposure could likely be the death knell of the GOP.

-C!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 5:02pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The president refuses to do his job because the opposition party is being like really really mean to him? New tern: Banana Republican. :^(

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 May 2019 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Impeachment is not off the table nor should Dems rush to it with the spineless GOP in control of the Senate. Investigations should keep this clown busy and distracted during his last 16 months in office. This is a nation of laws and Trump will learn soon enough that he nor any of his minions are not above it.

November 3, 2020 cannot come any sooner.

Fun Fact: Bill Clinton's approval rating was in the 60s on the day of his impeachment hearing. Trump hasn't even cracked 50% on his "best" day.

-C!

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 May 2019 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

It's interesting that the political views of JBF members, at least those bothering to comment, tend to uniform opposition to Trump, with division of opinion being limited to those who favor impeachment, and those who oppose it merely for prudential reasons, i.e., the belief that it will not result in a conviction in the Senate and may well strengthen Trump's hand.  Why the JBF opinion is relatively monolithic in a country where opinion is divided is, as I say, interesting.

This morning I looked at a poll commissioned by CNN, released yesterday.  As of March 14-17, 36% believed Trump should be impeached and removed from office, 59% were opposed, 5% had no opinion.  Last September, 47% favored impeachment and removal, 48% were opposed.  So there has been an 11% shift in the direction of opposing impeachment.

Surprising to me were references to some earlier impeachment polls.  In July, 2014, 33% favored impeaching Barack Obama, and in August, 2006, 30% favored impeaching George W. Bush.    The worst legacy of Watergate appears to be the devaluation of impeachment as an extraordinary remedy to a garden variety political tool to be wielded against one's opponents.  It shocks me that almost a third of the country can be mustered to express a view in favor of impeachment of any given president.

My own opinion is that the Democrats' best hope for defeating Trump is a timely recession.  Given that the economy has now been expanding for essentially ten straight years, albeit more robustly for the last two and one half, we are probably overdue for one, so the Democrats may have a good shot.  Having been told for two years by the media, the Democrats, and a substantial minority of Republicans that Mueller is a prosecutor of great skill and integrity and that we should wait for the results of his investigation, its not surprising that the American people have concluded that if he found no conspiracy by Trump with Russia to affect the election that probably there was none to find.  I don't think an impeachment vote will be well-received by the American people, and will likely result in the House swinging back to Republican control.  But of course, everyone has an opinion.  There's one way to find out.

<< Prev Page of 13 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version