Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Fan Fic
Byrne Robotics > Fan Fic << Prev Page of 41 Next >>
Topic: X-MEN ELSEWHEN 01 Fan Fic Comments Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 7:05am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

This is a dream come true . Really enjoying this and here's hoping one day it will be in print form.
Back to Top profile | search

Wilson Mui
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 7:06am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There is so much detail on most of the pages. How many pages per
day were you able to draw at this point?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

How many pages per day were you able to draw at this point?

••

As I mentioned before, the jungle stuff was "falling out of the pencil" at about a page an hour. Once I got into the more "solid" elements, tho, my more normal speed of about two hours per page began to take hold.

(Jim Warden hates it when I mention how fast I am. He's all too aware that people like Todd McFarlane have actually managed to convince readers that being SLOW is better. That missing deadlines is a sign of "growing roses".)

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 7:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Could you talk a bit about how you envision flying characters, JB? Your characters always seem to have real thought put into how they move in the air - say, Johnny Storm has a different flying style than Superman, and Action Maxx has a different flying style than Iron Man. Today's page - Storm is walking on air. Just a neat wrinkle with how you do what you do.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

How I handle the flying comes very much from how I “read” the character.

When I imagine myself flying, I feel a kind of lifting sensation in my chest, as if the secret of the power lies there. That’s also how I draw Superman when he flies. The Torch, on the other hand, seems to float inside his cocoon of flame (no, I don’t see him becoming flame).

Armored characters like Iron Man or Action Maxx fly more “bluntly”, Maxx especially.

Bottom line, like so many of the things I draw, it all comes down to “intuition”.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Neat to have the before and after teleportation of Nightcrawler all in the one panel. One of those moments that are unique to comics in requiring interaction from the reader to complete the magic.

A movie could show you the whole thing, a sequence where he disappears then instantly reappears with a punch, or it could edit it to have him disappear and then cut to him reappearing and punching, but it couldn't do what that panel does, which is to show you a snapshot of both and invites the reader to understand the chronology and then participate in completing how the scene ultimately plays in the reader's mind.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Inviting the reader to understand can sometimes be a fool’s errand. I’ve lost count of the number of times “readers” seem to be deliberately misunderstanding something—especially in this internet age.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

JB wrote:
...Jim Warden hates it when I mention how fast I am. He's all too aware that people like Todd McFarlane have actually managed to convince readers that being SLOW is better....

It seems that people in general equate time with effort.  I have known some people to balk at paying a respectable price from an artist they know if they are aware of how much time it took to complete the piece, and deem it to be quick.  Nevermind the fact that this prospective customer could not create a similar work no matter how much time was put into creating it. I point out to such people that they are paying for the artist's ability,  not necessarily the hours the artist labored on a piece. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 11:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Well, I hope I did not misunderstand this page.

I see Cyclops looks to make an adjustment of his beam strength on his visor, then fires. I assume he fires by pressing a button in his glove.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Just HOW Scott controls his visor has not been what anyone would call consistent. I go for whatever makes a dramatic drawing.

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

For some reason, it's so great to see Scott and Ororo
together.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 22 June 2019 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I recall in an early X-Men comic, Roy Thomas wrote one of those pages that explained how Cyclops uses his visor. He was shown using both methods,  the stud in the palm of his glove, and on the visor itself. I figured Thomas did that to explain any discrepancies in how it was portrayed by various artists. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 41 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version