Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: New Comics & Back Issues - 06/12/2019 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 June 2019 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Here's what I'll be picking up later today at my LCS:

• BATMAN WHO LAUGHS #6 - The last issue of this mini-series.  Once I pick it up, I'll read the whole thing, which I have yet to do.  
  • CATWOMAN #12 - More for my son than for me, but I will check up on Selina and see how she's doing.
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23 - I don't know if there is a fall out from the last story arc (which I'm glad is over), but anything will be better than issue #22, which I thought was anti-climatic and probably the worst issue of this Nick Spencer run. For those of you who follow this title, please share your thoughts on the last arc.
  • FRIENDLY NEIGHBORHOOD SPIDER-MAN #7 - I think I'm one issue behind on this.  I'm intrigued with how they handle Aunt May's cancer.  She's handling this (so far) much better than the various life threating ailments she had back when Steve Ditko and John Romita Sr. were drawing her back in the 1960s.  
  • SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY #4 - This is actually my favorite Spidey title right now.  I think we're really moving into uncharted territory with the Parker character being in his 50's.
  • ARCHIE #705 - Always a quick read, but I'm still interested.  I'd still like them to continue Afterlife with Archie, but I think that title is dead.  Maybe they should do one final issue of that one with everybody becoming zombies!

Back to Top profile | search

Rod Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 2:34am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

DC:
Batman Who Laughs #6 (Of 7) - Phil, it got bumped up to seven issues at issue #5.
Event Leviathan #1 (Of 6) - Added this after being impressed by what I read in the Leviathan Rising one-shot.

Dark Horse:
Joe Golem Occult Detective The Conjurors #2 (Of 5)
Umbrella Academy Hotel Oblivion #7

IDW:
League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 4 The Tempest #6 - Goodbye Al and Kev, we'll miss you.

Jason G. Michalski
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 4:48am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Silver Surfer: Black #1 (Of 6) - Beautiful art.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 6:27am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23 - I don't know if there is a fall out from the last story arc (which I'm glad is over), but anything will be better than issue #22, which I thought was anti-climatic and probably the worst issue of this Nick Spencer run. For those of you who follow this title, please share your thoughts on the last arc.
-------------------------------------
I agree that the end of Hunted wasn't great. I thought the event started brightly, was very good in the middle (around the Gibbon issue) then faltered. Inconsistent artists didn't help. I'd like there to be a moritoreum on this type of call-back to Kraven's Last Hunt but I'm sure there'll be another one at some point.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 7:38am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

G.I. Joe A Real American Hero #263-  Looks like we'll see some departed friends this issue.

Event Leviathan #1- I'm interested in this story but I fear I may lose interest fast if it's drawn out.

Detective Comics #1005- I'm not a huge fan of the Arkham Knight's origin but I consider it one of Tomasi's few missteps.

Superman #12- This storyline has kind of lost me.

Amazing Spider-Man #23- I was talking to one of the guys at my LCS about this story as he was remarking that a lot of people haven't liked it. I have to admit that I've liked the storyline and that's saying something for me as a guy who normally doesn't like Nick Spenser's writing. I found myself wondering what Kraven's endgame was and that's a good thing for me.

Immortal Hulk #19- Wondering how Rick Jones gets freed from this new Abomination.

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 June 2019 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

CATWOMAN #12
OBLIVIAN SONG #16
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2019 at 2:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Rod: League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen Volume 4 The Tempest #6

Did this come out? I don't see it on the Previews site and can't find any information anywhere with the actual release date. I know it kept getting pushed back and was originally supposed to come out in April. 

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2019 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Phil Kreisel wrote:
AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23 - I don't know if there is a fall out from the last story arc (which I'm glad is over), but anything will be better than issue #22, which I thought was anti-climatic and probably the worst issue of this Nick Spencer run. For those of you who follow this title, please share your thoughts on the last arc.

Got my box yesterday and just for you I went straight to ASM #21-22. :-) I rambled about how I felt about the story when (I think) #22 came out. The ending didn't change my opinion much. So to partially repeat myself, I think six issues, a prologue and epilogue are reasonable, but adding four "HU" issues on top of that was silly. That said, I think the HU issues had the stronger material so I'd rather have kept those and shed some of the more repetitive elements in the main issues. Do something ala an old Master of Kung Fu storyline (#44-50) where each issue has its own narrator and you get the story that way.

Also, the story had more characters than it knew what to do with and I didn't care for the "let's get all the 'animal' characters in there" notion. Find, I don't know, 12 you want to work with and go from there. That way everyone can at least get a moment rather than just being panel filler.

I was surprised (and pleased) they re-deaded Kraven (unless something happens in #23). Always nice to see character win over marketing and I hope the Replacement Kraven is sufficient for TPTB to leave Sergei alone for another 23 years.

Basically, with some fine tuning, I think we had the potential for a classic and it didn't quite make it. But there was enough good there that I wouldn't call it a complete misfire. That's based on reading the story as I got it. Opinion subject to change after I get #23 and read the whole thing together.

One other note:

Leigh DJ Hunt wrote:
I'd like there to be a moritoreum on this type of call-back to Kraven's Last Hunt but I'm sure there'll be another one at some point.

I agree in principle, but it seemed appropriate here given Kraven's motivation.    

Anyway, back to the week:

AMBER BLAKE #4 - the conclusion; hopefully my store will get a copy of #3 in for me before this box gets shipped :-)

GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #263 - visiting with some lost friends...

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #23 - curious to see what sticks

INVADERS #6 - maybe; I'm not "officially" getting this book but I seem to keep getting issues as they come out

SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY #4 - it's an interesting notion - take some "key" storylines of the decade and fiddle with them to fit a larger "real time" narrative, but after reading #3, I'm thinking this one is "not to my taste." But through the wonders of pre-ordering I've already paid for the remaining issues so Zdarsky will still have a chance to convice me otherwise. :-)   

SYMBIOTE SPIDER-MAN #3 - an interesting attempt to squeeze between the panels of ASM #252-258 or so.

FIVE YEARS #2 - Terry Moore, master of moments but "eh" on plot, attempts to do a big crossover. Morbid curiosity brings me here.

Also managed to hold off a sniper long enough to win a Hulk #3. (This one had a weird way of doing it - he jumped in with around 30 seconds to go and kept upping his bid every 2-3 seconds until he ran out of time. Don't know why he didn't just go in for the full amount he was willing to pay and I have no idea how he kept upping his bid so quickly. Is there a way to expedite the confirmation step or something?)

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2019 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I've lost out on many a comic that way, Dave. I try to beat those types at their own game, part of me wonders sometimes if it's someone the seller knows (or in the case of someone I know, the seller himself*) trying to Jack the price up at the last minute.

*Using his wife's account, he won his own item. He learned a valuable lesson in honesty that day.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 June 2019 at 10:30pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I've sniped an auction only once. I was looking for a particular book, and the first listing had a good price in an auction that was right about to end. So I gave it a shot and won. Kind of felt bad, though.

It's happened to me enough times (either the "you're in the lead... 3... 2... 1... you lose!" (what happened to me last time I tried for a Hulk #3) or the better but still not great "3... 2... 1... price jumped 50%!" (What happened to me this time)) that I've actually sworn off true sniping. I'm not a total schmuck - I'll go to five minutes before the auction ends - but I always leave someone a chance. (Assuming I don't just go with my true max bid to begin with.)

In other news, I picked up Invaders #6 after all and while I was there I grabbed Silver Surfer - Black #1 because it looked pretty and I found myself missing the character.

Also, I checked out the DC September solicits and my beloved Legion of Super-Heroes is returning, but written by Bendis so I'm having a definite monkey's paw moment here. ("Not like this! Not like this!")

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2019 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I feel the same way about the Legion news and it looks Scott Snyder will be handling the Justice Society. Bendis writing the Legion of Super Heroes could be good or it could be one of those "Hey guys, comics. Am I right?" winking at the audience books. I wanted to like Snyder's Justice League but couldn't get into it. But it terms of DC's commitment to both franchises, they've put two of their top names on it. Maybe we'll get lucky.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 June 2019 at 5:21pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dave -- I don't think it's the 30th/31st century version of the Legion that's coming back.

This is a Legion from the 32nd century. I'm guessing it's either the children of the original Legion, or simply a group inspired by the Legion of a hundred years prior. 

Personally I'm loving Synder's JUSTICE LEAGUE, and I'll be quite happy if he writes a JSA title. (Sure took DC long enough to bring back the JSA, but better late than never...another nail in the coffin of the New 52 era!!)

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version