Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Is there any place for death in comic books? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 6:33pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

If the death of Jean Grey could not but have become the new pivot that re-defined the X-Men, then she should not have been killed. With hindsight...
-----------------------------------------------
And there is the problem: the hindsight. The decision to kill Jean was made at the time, with no knowledge of how it would resonate, of how popular it would be with readers, of the cultural landmark it was in and of itself.

You blame Claremont for constantly referencing back to it, for overdoing it. Perhaps fair criticism.

But whether he referenced back to it or not, it was still massive. It would inevitably impact on the book forever more. One of the founding members was gone. The love of of the leader of the team was gone.

And you cannot blame Claremont for that.

Shooter wanted her tortured for all eternity.

JB said 'Fuck that, I'd rather kill her.'

And she died. That was the way it happened.  For me, given the Hobson's Choice on the table, this was the preferable option.

To go with your hindsight decision making that she shouldn't have died, then the only option reportedly available was she ends up tortured for all eternity. Lovely lesson for the kids. Death shouldn't be in the comics, but literally infinite pain inflicted on a young heroine is just fine and dandy.

Edited by Peter Martin on 23 June 2019 at 6:37pm
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 June 2019 at 7:08pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Eric, it's worth noting, maybe, that Lightning Lad was repeatedly referred to at the time as being in a death-like state rather than dead or even "mostly dead." It's one of the reasons they never buried him. There was apparently going to be a return for him one way or the other from the get-go. 

That Mxyzptlk descendant who joined the Adult Legion was, believe it or not, the brother of Mask Man, the one who killed and revived the Legion, ala' Korvac and the Avengers. He said so in the story. And Levitz made it one of the vision's Ferro Lad's brother was suffering from, yes, but he was said to be able to see into different timelines, so the Adult Legion story was not a "dream reality." It was merely one possible future the Legion had in store. 

"As for children and death... I shrug."

There's a line you don't want quoted out of context. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 23 June 2019 at 7:12pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

You're misquoting me, Peter. 

The "hindsight" I mentioned is only about assessing Mr. Claremont's subsequent continual post mortem referrals to Jean Grey. It is not to the initial psylla and charybdis decision to have her perish, which I understand was intended to be permanent. 

If Jean Grey's death had been left alone, it would have retained in comicbook history all its grace, elegance, and poignancy. Alas, that was not to be. I'm not against death depicted in comicbooks because kids can't handle it. I'm against death in comicbooks because some of the adults running the store can't...!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

One of the reasons I felt justified in bringing Jean back was that Chris had never let her go! Phoenix was sometimes referred to in house as the least dead dead character Marvel had.

All that "grace, elegance, and poignancy" had been relentlessly eroded to the point I was fully expecting team members to be reminded of Jean by traffic lights.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 8:46am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brian, we are unquestionably talking about the same things; I just used different phrasing than you did (and yours is better.) Regarding Lightning Lad, he was in a death-like state. Still, to restore him to life, a Legionnaire (kinda) had to die. I think that dancing with death in the pale moonlight.

The alternate futures that Andrew Nolan saw were certainly dream-like, but you're right that he was seeing into different timelines. Bad on my phrasing again.

I did forget that Mask Man and 31st century Mr. Mxyzptlk were brothers. Time to re-read my collection of LSH archives!

Regarding Dark Phoenix... eternal torture is unquestionably a worse fate than death. And it raised another question. The Shi'ar and Lilandra were TERRIFIED of the Phoenix. The look on Lilandra's face when she invokes Plan Omega - "Burn this world, this system, this stellar cluster! - whatever is necessary to make sure that Phoenix is destroyed!" is a brilliant piece of art, showing a lot of emotions.

Plan Omega... this reinforces that the Shi'ar intended to destroy the Phoenix. None of this "leave her alive but eternal torture" crap. Leaving Phoenix alive implied that she could escape. I would think that would have occurred to Shooter, but who knows what the power of being E-i-C brings one?

Power... I understand that the Shi'ar empire was far superior to anything Earth had to bear. If they had ever decided that they wanted to take over Earth*, it would likely have happened quickly, and what could Earth's super heroes do about it?**

*"Operation: Galactic Storm" notwithstanding. Dreck is dreck.
**Although, of course, the FF, X-Men, Avengers, and Defenders would win because they always win.

But if the power of the Shi'ar was so great that they could conceive destroying Phoenix, what kind of villain would she have made for the X-Men? Perhaps Mr. Byrne recalls any of those plans, but it seems as if she so out-powered the X-Men that they couldn't stand a chance. Her death might have been necessary, because I have trouble seeing what kind of threat Wolverine would be to an entity that consumes stars...

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

We are indeed, Eric. I was just being picayune over the niggling details. Remember back when Aunt May became the herald of Galactus and the cover proclaimed the story was "Not a hoax! Not a What If! Not an imaginary story!" because it all turned out to be, yeah, a dream? I didn't want that perception out there about the Adult Legion story. It is one of my faves, after all. :-) 

And I really ought to have put a smiley emoticon at the end of that observation about the "death and children" line. Looking at it today in the cold light of morning, it sounds a little brusque. Sorry. 

Edited by Brian Hague on 24 June 2019 at 10:45am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I started a post speculating on a question Eric raised, but I've decided it's potentially a minefield and I have no wish to offer possible impediments to the unfolding "Elsewhen" thread. 

So, instead... Death. Bummer, right? :-)

Anybody else here ever get a comic book crush on Hela? I know I sure did... Think there might be an Asgardian Thanos-type out there somewhere, offering up villages of the slain as gifts for his adored one and pulling off everyone's fingernails so she can build her boat?

Edited by Brian Hague on 24 June 2019 at 10:52am

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I'm loving the idea the Shi'ar wanted to destroy Phoenix but that if there was a chance at separating it from Jean they would do that! That is better than the Jamaica Bay thing, now let's build that time machine and zip back to 1980 and do this whole thing right... oh Elsewhen is almost a time machine, that'll work too. :^)

Even with Phoenix dead they still managed to do a new story with her, in the back of a Classic X-Men reprinting #137, and in a Bizarre Adventures story taking place in flashback with Jean's sister, and then there was that What If (or was it two?)... it's like Elvis, she was selling more than when she was 'alive'! Thunderbird got forgotten about pretty fast in contrast. :^(

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 24 June 2019 at 11:41am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 3:43pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Thunderbird was created with the intention of killing him. And Jean was a founding X-Man, hence more important. (A good reason to not kill her, BTW, though I get why JB and Claremont preferred to the eternal torture idea. I do too!)

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
It led to resurrections, and I thought those were damned sloppy. It led to the main question about death in my mind - if you need to resurrect a character, why kill him in the first place?

This is my bigger problem with "death in comics." (And here I'm focusing on deaths of established characters.) With resurrection always on the table (and, in this age of creative teams not bothering to do their homework, dead characters just magically reappearing), the "shock death" becomes an overused tool and there's no sense of consequence because "it'll just be undone next month anyway."   

So I genuinely feel Jean's return was far more damaging long term than killing her off in the first place or the references that followed. There were occasional resurrections before that (Wonder Man and Professor X come to mind), but this was the first time a recognized classic story (even got its own trade paperback collection when such things didn't happen) was reversed. And, if you look at sales, no one seemed to care. (I was buying X-Factor, and thus Part of the Problem, but I'll admit my problem with bringing back Jean arose more in hindsight than when it actually occurred.)

Thus a precedent was set and now, when a character is killed off, instead of eulogies you get a betting pool about how many months it'll take for them to come back, thus robbing future creative teams and future fans of the chance of being able to read a story that would have the same impact as Gwen Stacy's death, Dark Phoenix, etc. (Though I know quite a few people would consider that to be a good thing.)      

QUOTE:
As noted under separate cover, Mr. Byrne once killed Dr. Doom - destroyed his body and all - and STILL found a way to bring him back.

This story fell under one of my exceptions to the "no resurrections" rule: when the character was never intended to stay dead. Most examples fall under what I call "the villain's cliffhanger" where a larger story is planned (see Doom) or the writer needed to end a story and didn't want to have the bad guy escape or go to prison. So there's a big explosion "that no one could survive" and the next time we see them we find out how they did.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 June 2019 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
The reader, coming to the series cold, did not need to read the particular story in which Ferro Lad or the Invisible Kid had been killed. There was no weeping or wailing over their loss, nor a series of constant attempts to resurrect them. It was simply acknowledged by the members and the series itself that their sacrifice was meaningful and the job was dangerous.

Stuff like this (and it's more a general thing that doesn't necessarily have to do with death) to me is one of the strengths and appeals of long running comic series that are allowed to change things up from time to time.

In the current stories, these characters are fondly remembered and memorialized as statues, but the stories where they're living characters are all out there for discovery if you're interested in reading them.

With an "origin death", their fate is established from the beginning and any attempts to tell stories from before those times have that hanging over its head. With a mid-series death, you get to read stories where they're just one of the gang (although I wonder how to count someone like Chemical King...).

And again, it's not just about death. When Johnny references that he used to date Crystal, I like being able to dig out old issues of Fantastic Four where you saw the relationship, begin, develop and end. Etc., etc.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 June 2019 at 8:16am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Dave P. - as Mr. Byrne mentioned, he had every intention of bringing back Doom - method figured out and all. I'm wondering how that story would have gone without having the Beyonder jammed into the story, but I'm sure it would have been even more satisfying.

A tangent about Phoenix... the emotional impact of that story was exactly that founding member Jean Grey, established lover of Scott Summers and beloved friend of the other X-Men, was killed. That took thirty-odd issues of the new X-Men, notwithstanding the "original" series. And the studio wanted to try to cram that into a two hour movie, with a completely different set of X-Men?

And one wonders - had Magneto known, and decided to join the X-Men in defending Jean, what kind of difference would it have made? I mean, Nightcrawler and Wolverine are formidable in their own venues... but Magneto might have stood a chance against Dark Phoenix, if only shortly. Enough so to trigger the transformation earlier? Might Magneto have destroyed the Shi'ar ship when Jean was beaten? I've not seen the movie yet... but I can't imagine it was "realistic."

Secondary tangent: I have long wished for a Superman (for example story) where a little girl comes up to him and asks, "Did you come back to life?" And when he says "yes", have her throw a complete fit, hitting and kicking, screaming, "Why do you all just bring your friends back from the dead? My daddy died, and I got three little brothers and my mama can't work! Why can't you bring him back when you can bring back Flash/Wonder Woman/Batman/etc.?" I can't imagine that a lot of people take that easily.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version