Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: What is right with comics today? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 5:30pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

There have been so many threads about what is wrong with comics today, I am just wondering if there is anything today's creators are doing right?

I rarely buy anything new these days. I am interested in checking something out though, if it gets a good word from the group on this site. We do appear to have similar tastes.
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I like some of the new characters, such as Ms. Marvel/Kamala and Ironheart. Perhaps it's easier than reading about what's being done with my old favorites? Maybe, but it doesn't mean these books aren't good.

And I ordered the new Roger Stern/Ron Lim Avengers one-shot. How can it not be good?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 8:50pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I gather there are many quality creator-owned projects being published by Image Comics, of all companies. I should be reading more of them.

Outside of Mutantville, Marvel seems more "normal," overall, than it's been since Brian Michael Bendis took over seemingly everything. (Meanwhile he's screwing up the Superman titles.) There are actually a few Marvel titles I enjoy reading, which wasn't true for a looong time.

There are still various DC comics worth reading (and thankfully DC isn't flooding the market like Marvel is -- Marvel publishes way, way too many titles), even if Bendis has moved there. And anyone Tom King screws up (Batman, Wally West) can surely be repaired.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Um, the paper is better? Sort of?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 July 2019 at 11:35pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Image Comics has gone from poorly written pin-up comics to having some of the best creator owned books in comic shops, something I never would have imagined when the company started. The company also doesn't try to own any of the media rights of the books they publish, which is likely what sunk DC Vertigo as Image offered a more attractive deal, albeit at a wee bit of a lesser profile.

The partnership of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips, which began in 2004 at DC Wildstorm on Sleeper continues to this day, 15 years later, (from Wildstorm to Image to Marvel's creator owned line Icon and back to Image again). The recent Bad Weekend story in the now ongoing Criminal #2 and 3, which is being reprinted as a hardcover collection, shows them still at the top of their game. 

Paul Kimball
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 12:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

There have been some great crime noir series, 100 bullets, criminal are both
good. Some strange interesting stuff like Manhattan Project

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 1:53am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Image Comics has gone from poorly written pin-up comics to having some of the best creator owned books in comic shops, something I never would have imagined when the company started.

-----

I agree. Image is putting out the most interesting comics these days. DC and Marvel tried so hard to be 90's Image, to their detriment. Meanwhile, Image moved on and ended up becoming what 90's Dark Horse was trying to be.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 3:25am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

There are some fantastic artists out there--Ivan Reis, Esad Ribic, Adi Granov, and Olivier Coipel--who are doing stuff I wouldn't have thought possible on a monthly basis in the old days; others like Alan Davis, Butch Guice, Mike Deodato, and Gary Frank--who just seem to be getting better and better; and painters like Alex Ross who continues to blow me away.  And they're all sort of wasted on stories (bad continuity or multi-series "epics" where five or ten mismatched artists are thrown in willy nilly) I don't care about.

The production values of monthly books are amazing!

And collections (often 300 or 400 pages at a time) are numerous and look great, giving me the chance to read 60's material I never saw before or favorite 70's and 80's material I've missed.

Edited by Eric Jansen on 10 July 2019 at 3:26am

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 5:11am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I’m glad to see someone mention Brubaker/Phillips. They’re the best creative team working in comics today. Each series they produce is better than the last one. 

Tim O Neill
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

LOVE & ROCKETS seems to get better and better with each new
issue.

Anything Chris Ware does is always worth checking out.

I really like THE HIGHEST HOUSE by Peter Gross and Mike
Carey.

I just got back into MAD and have really thought it was
invigorated, so I'm sorry to see it go.

Andrew Cate
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I love the idea of owning a quality Omnibus. 

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 10:24am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I do appreciate the modern advances in printing that has given rise to original art books like Artist Editions from IDW. The printing and coloring process can be done right, but it can also be leveraged in horrible ways.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version