Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Great things about being a comic reader in 2019:

1- The availability of almost everything in some
fashion, with many reprints/collections reproduced
beautifully.

2- I buy LOTS of new comics now and many of them are not
mainstream superheroes. The variety and quality of
genres is the best I remember in my life time.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

This is the Golden Age of comic collecting. You can get hard copy or e-copy. You can purchase in your LCS or online. The variety of comic paraphernalia has never been greater. Back issues are as easy to get as new ones.

It's even MY Golden Age of collecting. I can get giant size books, Marvel's Essentials, DC's Showcase Presents, and archive and hardbound collections... reprints to make my heart happy.

Most comics right now are not to my taste... but the availability of product and fun for each taste cannot be overstated.

What's right with comics today? Just about everything. (Today, Wednesday 6-10,  is even new comic day!)
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 4:28pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

It's the Golden Age of reprint collections, with more great work in print than any time ever before.

The kids' comics market is thriving. There are graphic novels for young readers that are in every library and bookstore across the country, many selling hundreds of thousands of copies with each installment.

More creators, especially young creators, are telling the stories they want to tell, whether using corporate-owned characters or their own.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Ray Brady
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

There is some absolutely beautiful art on the market these days. On average, I feel the quality of the art I see today to be miles above what was being produced in the 90s.

And echoing what Andrew said, it has never been easier to read volumes of older material. Even if I had no interest in anything being published this year, I've got thousands of older titles at my fingertips on Comixology. Spoilt for choices, so to speak.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 July 2019 at 8:45pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

While the comments about reprint collections are no doubt correct, the original poster asked what today's creators are doing right. What's the relevance of it being the Golden Age of reprints?

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I like Batgirl by Mairghread Scott & Paul Pelletier.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

For the rest, i read Marvel Epic Collection, which reprint the classics series in color.
Very happy to have Elsewhen.

Edited by Stéphane Garrelie on 11 July 2019 at 6:38am

Brian Hughes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Posting to correct discussion as I goofed earlier:

Thanks for all of the responses, but I do feel that the purpose of this was lost on some.

I am trying to find out if there are any current comic books worth taking a look at.  I really want to find something from the big 2 that is worthwhile as all I do these days when I go to my LCS is dig through back issues.

There really is a wide variety of books coming out each week, but the younger staff at the shops is not going to know what appeals to my tastes.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Glad I didn't answer sooner, then... :-)

Nick Spencer's Amazing Spider-Man has been a pleasant surprise. The recent Hunted story had a few misfires in it, but overall there's a "feel" to the book I've been missing for a LONG time. (I admit that each new story leaves me wondering if this is the point that it's going to come crashing down but I've been hurt before. :-) )

Chip Zdarsky's Daredevil has had its moments. Not sure how I feel about the current "Daredevil No More" thing but I'm interesting in seeing where it leads.

I also get Avengers, Captain America and Fantastic Four, but wouldn't recommend them. Not sure how much longer I'll be getting them myself.    

On the DC side, I just get Deathstroke and The Green Lantern, which are decent enough but have just enough flaws to preclude a recommendation.

Can't speak for the rest of the Big 2 books.

Chris Blaise
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I grew up reading and collecting "regular" comics and later various hardcopy collections, preferring the "oversized" dimensions of Marvel's omnibii.

If I had the time, I'd build a wall-sized bookshelf for my various collections them languish in my parents attic.

But as a full time worker, homeowner, and father, I don't have that time at all.  Even the smattering of books I have in my house are somewhat inconvenient to carry around, let alone risk my 3 year old touch pages to ask, "What's that?" (I'd probably less mind him touching a licked finger on a original "floppy" than one of those $100+ reprint omnibii). 

My Amazon Fire with the Comixology app and their monthly sales have seriously re(heh)Kindled my interest in comic books.  I've repurchased most of my collected books.  I've been reading Silver-aged Marvels to my son every night and an errant wet finger is easily wiped off the screen.  After nods off, I get re-acquainted with stuff he's not ready for yet, like Sandman.

What's been unexpected exciting for me is Comixology's "panel" view.  I always have skipped around a new issue a few times before finally "settling" back to read it properly.  I feel that reading a single panel at a time on a 10" screen really gives me an improved opportunity to focus on the story and appreciate the artwork.

Daniel Gillotte
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:36pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I like the quirkier takes on some established characters that seem more allowed now- Am enjoying the Patsy Walker Hellcat stuff that's a couple years old, the Fraction Hawkeye comics, etc.
I really like Ms. Marvel a lot and seeing representation of a muslim female in comics is super cool and the comics have heart and action and fun.

I love that Jeff Lemire seems to get a lot of work- Descender is incredible and it's from several years back but hi Sweet tooth and Animal Man are great as is Black Hammer.

Saga is one of the great series of all time in my opinion and Paper Girls is pretty damn engaging, too.

Ultimately, comics seem more diverse (in representation of races, sexes, etc) and in style which I appreciate. 

Back to Top profile | search | www

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I buy many of the same books that Dave does and feel pretty much the same way he does(I dropped Fantastic Four already). I've been enjoying Detective Comics since Peter Tomasi took over. 

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version