Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Black or Blue? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 7:59am | IP Logged | 1  

I’ve seen some European reprints! If we go by them, Captain America has bare legs!
Back to Top profile | search

Richard Palmgren
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:27am | IP Logged | 2  

well, here's a question then:

Does a writer's original intent for the coloring of the character trump the eventual coloring of the character?

For example:  in the writer's narration Vance Astro is described as wearing a Black and Silver containment suit, but it was colored in "comics black", ie. blue, and I remember having a debate with Randy Bowen about how the mini bust should end up being colored.  He went with "comics black" because he said it looked more like the published character.

Another example is Moon Knight, described in text as "Silver and Black" but ends up being colored white almost all of the time.

(off topic, but Mr. Bowen did an OUTSTANDING job bringing YOUR Alpha Flight to life)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 3  

Comics don’t have precious metals! No silver, platinum or gold. The first two end up white—or, in this CG age over rendered and looking like chrome—and the third is just yellow.

That latter can be frustrating. I sculpted a clay model of Iron Man not long after he turned gold, but when I painted it gold, it just looked wrong. And, I will admit, I have a preference for Iron Man figures that are red and yellow. (Not red and white!!)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:59am | IP Logged | 4  

I wonder, do I not have a problem with the original costumes clearly being black because I met their first issues as black and white reprints in the UK?

Spider-Man was clearly a black costume, as were the X-Men.

The downside to this was that as blacks were dropped, I thought their costume design had changed to blue
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

DW Zomberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 9:23am | IP Logged | 5  

It was 1983 when someone at Marvel decided to restore the black highlights to Spider-Man's costume. Big, big improvement. 

Don Z

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 6  

I have a Ditko page from close to the end of his run. Spider-Man’s costume is fully open—virtually no blacks—and the web pattern has become much more sparse. Both signs of those crowding deadlines!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 7  

That latter can be frustrating. I sculpted a clay model of Iron Man not long after he turned gold, but when I painted it gold, it just looked wrong. And, I will admit, I have a preference for Iron Man figures that are red and yellow. (Not red and white!!)
+++++++

The movies have done a better job of making the gold look “right” (a bright, yellow-ish gold), as opposed to the much duller gold paint which tends to be used on merchandise. 

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 8  

I have a Ditko page from close to the end of his run. Spider-Man’s costume is fully open—virtually no blacks—and the web pattern has become much more sparse. Both signs of those crowding deadlines!
++++++++

Yeah, you can see the blacks draining out of the costume as the run progresses. By the time Romita picked up the baton, it was pretty much gone, and Romita just followed..er...suit...and codified the “red and blue” suit. 

Coincidentally, I just thinking about the “DNA replication error” effect of artists looking to the most recent prior art and misinterpreting things and/or perpetuating errors, which then became the norm. Like how Ditko gave Norman and Harry Osborn slicked back, wavy hair, and Romita turned it into the infamous “ cornrow” look. 

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 9  

I’ve seen some European reprints! If we go by them, Captain America has bare legs!
I`ve seen that a few times in American comics. For some reason characters wearing trunks will get "bare legs" in the coloring process. Seen a few bare chests as well. 

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 10  

Just as a side to side comparison (published vs original art):

Would you pencil with the separations in mind, JB? 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it looked to me like JB was the first artist since the 40s to ink Batman all black. I LOVE the look.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:41pm | IP Logged | 12  

As for the color of the dog, I do a lesson with my 4th graders and use this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrtyYW8_osc

I see who catches WHY the dog is blue. George specifically mentions it in the video.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version