Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Black or Blue? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:47pm | IP Logged | 1  

Wow! I didn't realize there were pencil pages still around from the issues of "The Fantastic Four" that JB inked himself! I figured the original pencils had been inked over. Cool to see both versions! 
Back to Top profile | search | www

Jason K Fulton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 2  

That's the inked version, the scanner I use just washes the image out somewhat.
Back to Top profile | search

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 3  

BTW, what color is my dog?

______

Adorable. The color is adorable.

To the main topic. Hair is black, not blue (ignore kids these days), ergo, blue highlights equal black. 

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 6:27pm | IP Logged | 4  

Is that 80s webbing colored with a k-tone or is it some kind of near-grey?
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 6:34pm | IP Logged | 5  

It seems that the artist is the one consciously providing the visual cues for the reader to pick up on.  Since I was a kid, it was "clear" to me that John Romita Sr.'s Spider-Man was wearing red and blue, since the legs, etc., were so open.  Later artists (and late Steve Ditko too) seemed to be drawing a dark blue and red Spider-Man, though it seemed clear that early Ditko was doing a black and red Spider-Man.  When JB or some others would fill most (sometimes all) of the non-red parts with black ink, I would think "Oh cool--Spider-Man's red and black now!"

What color is Green Lantern's classic costume--green and black or green and gray?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 7:22pm | IP Logged | 6  

In his earliest appearances, the hi-lites on GL’s uniform were left white!

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:30pm | IP Logged | 7  

In his earliest appearances, the hi-lites on GL’s uniform were left white!

++++++

Yep. Same with Sinestro in his earliest appearances, as I recall. And Sinestro’s outfit also went from blue and black to blue and non-spotted gray, depending on the artist. 

The Kane-designed GL uniform—in both flavors (with and without epaulettes)—is easily on my list of the top five comic costumes of all time. On those occasions when artists haven’t spotted the blacks, it just...doesn’t...look...right. I really dig Marc Bright’s run on the book, but his GL had that less-appealing green and non-spotted gray look. The green and black look is just so PERFECT. Much better and stronger than green and gray.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 8  

At some point, the inker started filling in GL's highlights with scratchy black lines--that was weird.  But then they decided the fill color was gray--life would have been totally different if they had picked blue!  So, even if GL's costume IS half-black, the decision was made to make it black with gray highlights.  Likewise, somebody (Stan?) decided that Spider-Man's highlights would be blue (a couple of different shades were tried if I recall correctly).

So, the artist draws it all the same, but it is left to others to decide how to finish it.  (I've noticed recently looking at some 50's romance or horror covers that the artist clearly thought he was drawing women's black or dark brown hair with heavy inks--and then the colorist would make her blonde!  A very dirty blonde--or clearly dyed!)

Q to JB: Was it your choice to make Lois Lane brown-haired in the 80's?  Or were you surprised to see her changed?

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2019 at 8:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

Likewise, somebody (Stan?) decided that Spider-Man's highlights would be blue (a couple of different shades were tried if I recall correctly).
+++++++

Yeah, the blue was more purplish in some of the early issues. And the red skewed a bit toward red-orange, at times. 

Personally, I don’t have a dog in the race. I grew up thinking that the costume was red and blue, and it wasn’t until I read an editor’s note in the ASM letters page during Erik Larsen’s run that I learned that the original design was red and black.

Both looks are visually appealing to me. And, as I often like to note, Spider-Man’s costume was (in-universe) designed to be an entertainer’s costume, not a superhero costume. So the flashier red and blue look wouldn’t be inappropriate, in that context.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:47am | IP Logged | 10  

There's a tendency to invest in this far too much thought on the part of the creators. "Ditko intended..." "Stan intended..." "Kirby intended..."

Fact his, what they mostly intended was to get the books out on time, and much of what fans read into so deeply was just part of that. In those days, they couldn't really worry too much about the colors of costumes, for instance, because they couldn't be sure how well the color choices would fare when turned over to the separators--literally rows of housewives with sheets of vellum and bottles of black ink. Would they all make the same choices, every time? Don't count on it!

When I got into the Biz, the old rules still applies. Heroes wore primary color, villains secondary, and civilians tertiary. A few exceptions. Green is a secondary color, for instance. (And due to the oddities of the process red, a primary, was created by mixing yellow and magenta.)

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:49am | IP Logged | 11  

The Kane-designed GL uniform—in both flavors (with and without epaulettes)—is easily on my list of the top five comic costumes of all time. On those occasions when artists haven’t spotted the blacks, it just...doesn’t...look...right. I really dig Marc Bright’s run on the book, but his GL had that less-appealing green and non-spotted gray look. The green and black look is just so PERFECT. Much better and stronger than green and gray.

••

One of my chief grumbles is with those artists who insist on drawing the Green Lantern uniform with little leggings, almost like trunks.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2019 at 5:55am | IP Logged | 12  

QUOTE:
...literally rows of housewives with sheets of vellum and bottles of black ink.

Compared to what can be done today, recalling what was the professional standard in the days of yore is quite amazing. Your comment also is important as a reminder that those classic (greatest!) Marvel years were produced utterly without the obsessions that fanatic fans decades later possessed.

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version