Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: How Strong is OMAC? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2019 at 5:08am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

OHOTMU was after my time as a comicbook reader, but it's too bad it couldn't have been simpler and, more important, simply a guide only for creative teams, purely in-house, and not for fan publication, ...consumption, regurgitation, rumination...
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2019 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

There was too much of an RPG mentality in OHOTMU, which is probably one of the things that confused many fans into thinking RPG rule books were valid interpretations of the characters. More than once I was faulted on some bit of business I'd had a character perform, deemed "incorrect" because it contradicted some RPG book.

Frustrating to say the least!!

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2019 at 7:42am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

"Superman was described as having tremendous strength, Batman is an incomparable athlete, and Wonder Woman has superhuman strength"
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------
For me, this fails to successfully communicate at all Superman's strength level. It makes Wonder Woman sound at a completely different level above both Superman and Batman. Batman sounds a little above Superman, as he is incomparable. Superman sounds about the same as George Foreman or Sonny Liston, both of whom had tremendous strength.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 July 2019 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I think you're overthinking it.

Remember that HULK ANNUAL I did with Roger Stern, way back when? There's a scene in there where a rocket has been launched, and the Hulk leaps to catch it. As drawn, a moment later Doc Samson leaps after, and also catches the rocket. Shooter ordered the panels shuffled. Despite the protests of Rog and myself, he said Samson leaping after the Hulk did, yet still catching the rocket, meant Samson was stronger than the Hulk.

Seems like that's what you're doing here.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2019 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm just saying if I tell you there are three people and I say that one of them is superhumanly strong and the other two are very strong, I think it is a reasonable conclusion for you to infer is that the first one is the strongest.

Or to put it another way, a handbook that fails to mention Superman has superhuman strength has failed to adequately describe his powers.

Bill Dowling
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 July 2019 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I guess a corollary question to yours is - and no insult is intended - but for what purpose do you wish to know? If you narrowed it down to a specific question, you might get a bit more accurate answer.”

I just had an image in my head of OMAC fighting Guardian. In my head, although it looked cool, I thought that OMAC would be outclassed, like if Guardian fought Beast one on one. But then I realized that I didn’t realky understand why I was thinking of OMAC as having any particular power level. I mean, I’d expect Orion to be able to take on Guardian, but not OMAC? Why? And then I realized that I had access to Mr. Byrne, a creator who has worked with the character and figured I’d see what his thoughts were on the matter. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 8:43am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Mr. Dowling - perfectly understandable. Maybe the question should just be, "Could OMAC beat Guardian in a neutral fight?" That is, not in a comic where either would have the "home field" advantage.

I personally think that Guardian would take OMAC quickly. But OMAC is intelligent enough to realize that (or at least Brother Eye might be.) And could Brother Eye contribute to the battle? It's an interesting question.

Just - please, let's leave Storm out of it. All right?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 8:47am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I suppose it comes down to how literally we want to take his name. One Man Army Corps. A corps can be as many as 50,000 men. Does OMAC possess their combined strength?

Greg McPhee
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

"Superman was described as having tremendous strength, Batman is an incomparable athlete, and Wonder Woman has superhuman strength"
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------------------------
For me, this fails to successfully communicate at all Superman's strength level. It makes Wonder Woman sound at a completely different level above both Superman and Batman. Batman sounds a little above Superman, as he is incomparable. Superman sounds about the same as George Foreman or Sonny Liston, both of whom had tremendous strength.

====================================================

Peter, I'll add the whole text from the Who's Who entry on Superman:

"He possesses tremendous strength; while Superman's strength is not infinite, its full extent is so great that it has never been accurately measured".

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2019 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Now he sounds stronger!

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 3:04am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

There's a scene in there where a rocket has been launched, and the Hulk leaps to catch it. As drawn, a moment later Doc Samson leaps after, and also catches the rocket. Shooter ordered the panels shuffled.

Gee, as an artist/writer type myself, I'm horrified at this level of editorial interference.  As a reader, however, I find myself appreciating the guy in charge taking (or trying to take) such care in the accurate depictions of the characters and what (he thinks at least) is best for the story.  I find it hard to believe any publisher, editor-in-chief, or group editor would be that continuity-minded today.

That said, I would have screamed.  (Boy, Shooter didn't make many friends micromanaging these things, did he?)

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

There is a DC Comics Presents where Omac does briefly fight Superman. Omac is shown to be a little less powerful than Superman, able to hold his own for a little bit but still punching a bit above his weight class.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version