Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Alan Moore retires Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 11:27pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brian, the final issue of LOEG was published Wednesday.

Still, I haven’t bought a thing of his since he wrote Lost Girls.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2019 at 11:34pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I was seeing the TPB release date then. Thanks for the correction, James.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 12:13am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don't think Moore would agree with their assessment calling him the "king of comics." That would be Jack Kirby and I'm sure Moore as a big fan of Kirby would likely agree. Also he's not retiring from anything except comics. He's still working on THE MOON AND SERPENT BUMPER BOOK OF MAGIC for Top Shelf, that he co-wrote with the late Steve Moore and will likely continue writing novels and film scripts and apps and, well, anything not comics basically. He's just finished with comics. Although judging by the sales of LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMENT: TEMPEST, the last issue of which placed 174th on Diamond's sales list and sold roughly 9400 copies, it seems like comics was pretty much finished with him as well. That's not to disparage that comic as I'm one of the folks that bought and read it and enjoyed it (though the first volume of LOEG is still my favorite). As for folks not buying any comics that he's done in years, other than the first story in the anthology that he and Kev O'Neill started for Avatar comics CINEMA PURGATORIO, he hasn't worked on any comics outside of LOEG in the last 15 years or so since he left the rest of the ABC line with DC Wildstorm and quit mainstream comics again.

While I agree that LOST GIRLS was far from his best work and probably my least favorite thing he's written, he also wrote FROM HELL at the same time (which is likely where all the literature hoo-ha gets thrown around from, although I know WATCHMEN was in Time's Top 100 novels or whatever, even though it really shouldn't have been as it was a 12 issue serialized comic book) and after that created the entire ABC line of comics for Wildstorm and did (with amazing JH WiIliams III art) what is arguably his greatest work in comics in PROMETHEA. I enjoyed that whole ABC line of comics but PROMETHEA was special and did things no comics have done before. 

That said, none of the ABC line sold particularly well when it came out either though the collections have been perennial sellers like most of his oeuvre, with DC putting out multiple formats of TOP TEN and PROMETHEA and the LOEG comics they still own. 

Moore's run on SAGA OF SWAMP THING with Bissette, Totleben, and Vietch remains one of my favorite runs of any mainstream comic (along with JB's FANTASTIC FOUR and ALPHA FLIGHT and the Giffen and Dematteis and Maguire JUSTICE LEAGUE). 

I am sorry to see him go, but, like I've stated, he's barely been sticking a toe in comics since he left most of the ABC line at DC. 

As for whether he's a fan of comics or not, he has stated he loves the medium but hates the industry.  HERBIE is his favorite comic and he's a huge fan of the Lee, Kirby, and Ditko Marvel comics. He's also a huge fan of those early MAD issues by Kurtzman, in particular, Superduperman by Kurtzman and Wally Wood which obviously influenced him on things like WATCHMEN.

He also hated that the thing folks did after WATCHMEN was to take comics in a grim and gritty direction and suck all the fun out of comics and felt partially responsible for that. Things like TOM STRONG and JACK B. QUICK were him trying to do fun comics again, but he no longer had the influence he once had while working on the more prominent IPs that he had in the 80's. So comics are still stuck doing the grim and gritty like reviving Moore's BLACKEST NIGHT idea and DOOMSDAY CLOCK vastly out-selling Moore's current work. Moore also hates the KILLING JOKE (other than the art) and blames that for a lot of what comics became after.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 19 July 2019 at 12:21am
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 1:49am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I cherish the guy for my favourite short comic book story of all times ( the 4 page Brief Lives filling an Omega Men issue). I agree that he did more harm than good to the superhero comic book genre, maybe against his wish but still. He may have destroyed the genre for ever...

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 3:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I always thought, and still believe, that THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS had far more influence on 1990s comics than WATCHMEN did. 

I honestly don't see WATCHMEN having much influence at all until DC put out IDENTITY CRISIS, which was and is an awful story.

Stéphane Garrelie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 4:54am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

One of the best writers, but in a medium where there are many very good, and a handful or more as good as him.
I enjoyed what i read of his stories, and defending the rights of writers and artists rather than a compagny is a good fight, though the way he does it may sometime let me skeptical, and wondering what part of it is fighting this fight and what part is acting like a diva.
He also seems to come to quick conclusions on weak basis, on some topics like Stan Lee.
I also am not a fan of the rock star mentality, even whith rock stars, and i'm even less a fan of it when it comes to comics writers or artists. (Some others that came later may be more guilty of it than him though, even if he probably inspired them)
And there're a few other things i read in an interview of him around 1999 or 2000 that i didn't like.

All this being say the public image of an artist (writer, artist, painter, musician, etc...) and the person are two different things. For all i know, he may be (the lost girls thing, that i didn't read, and the thing from the interview i was talking about, excepted), a decent guy.

I like his work. but nobody is irreplaceable, even if each creator is somehow unique. He was, and probably will be in other media, an interresting voice, a good storyteller.

Rich Johnston
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

He hasn't retired. He's stopped writing new comics  - for now. There are still other comics projects he is still working on, still to be published. And then there are his movies, the filming of The Show has wrapped and he is writing a follow-up. And he is still continuing his public speaking role.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 July 2019 at 6:21pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

He spiced up the superhero genre. Unfortunately, the spice became the staple. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version