Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies
Topic: Big Box Office Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 9:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

As AVENGERS-ENDGAME sweeps past AVATAR to become the biggest box office hit of all time (with barely a parenthetical mention of that being without adjustment for inflation), it’s interesting to note what the biggest movies are when their ticket costs are leveled out.

MENTAL FLOSS

Back to Top profile | search

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Just for accuracy's sake, that article came out before ENDGAME broke the record.  It's domestic take now stands at $854 million, far from #1 all-time but good enough for 16th on that inflation-adjusted list. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I was surprised to see "101 Dalmations" at #12. I didn't realize it was THAT successful amongst the Disney canon.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 11:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Some genuine greats there (although I expected to see 1933's King Kong in the list). 

I guess we also have to take into account the social events of the time as well. War and hard times would have affected cinema numbers along with things like the home video boom of the 1980's. 

I can remember cinemas closing down all over the place in the early years of that decade here in the UK.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I miss the Disney re-releases. The rise of home video and the growth of the animation industry (more new kid-friendly theatrical releases from more studios more often) seemed to kill off the market for dusting off Disney classics once a decade or so, but those re-releases were a big part of my childhood.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 July 2019 at 8:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

You'd think though that anyone who went to see Avatar in the cinema opted for 3d, with the attendant price premium. I'd assume the take-up for Avengers: Endgame wasn't quite as high. Would be interesting if they had the data to slice it up by number of ticket sales.

Surprised to see Dr Zhivago so high in the list!

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Not surprised at all about ET and EMPIRE STRIKES BACK.

I was working at a movie theater when those 2 movies came out.  For nearly 3 months straight, ET essentially sold out* every single showing.  It was in 2 theaters then (unheard of at the time) and both theaters had approximately 1,000 seats (one had 1,100 and the other about 950).

EMPIRE wasn't as big of a juggernaut, but it sold out the 1,100 seat theater for about 2 months before it dropped off to where it moved to the smaller, 950 seat, theater for about a month.  It wasn't every single showing though, but darn near.

*I say "essentially" because it was difficult to sell all the seats every time, but it did occasionally happen .  My best guess is that, at the very least, 99.8% of each theater was filled for ET for every showing. 

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"You'd think though that anyone who went to see Avatar in the cinema opted for 3d, with the attendant price premium. I'd assume the take-up for Avengers: Endgame wasn't quite as high. Would be interesting if they had the data to slice it up by number of ticket sales."

--

That is an excellent point, Peter.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 11:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

...Dr. Zhivago...

•••

I saw ZHIVAGO in the theater, and I was far from its target audience. I suspect I was not alone.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:33pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

With the way things have changed in how we view our entertainment,  I suspect "Gone With The Wind" will never be unseated. Interesting that its main box office competitor for its year of release,  "The Wizard of Oz," is nowhere near the same level of sales. 

Does this list include re-released sales, I wonder? 

Edited by Matt Hawes on 25 July 2019 at 1:33pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It must include re-released sales. As I understand it, The Wizard of Oz was originally a box office disappointment, losing money on first release.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 July 2019 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The article does note their numbers are from Box Office Mojo, which does state that they include re-releases on their "Adjusted for Inflation" listings.  

^ Indicates documented multiple theatrical releases. Most of the pre-1980 movies listed on this chart had multiple undocumented releases over the years. The year shown is the first year of release.

Most pre-1980 pictures achieved their totals through multiple releases, especially Disney animated features which made much of their totals in the past few decades belying their original release dates in terms of adjustment. For example, Snow White has made $118,328,683 of its unadjusted $184,925,486 total since 1983. 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version