Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I think it is Paul Ryan's art.
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 11:59am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Oh, and in a later part of the video that talks about how fans of the Bronze-Age of comics have seen your work,  one example is a "Marvel Team-Up" in which you did the interior pencils, but the cover shown is by Dave Cockrum.

I think this is where part if the errors in such videos stem from. You get people who may be a fan of your work generally that chose books your name was attached to as a writer or interior artist, and they don't double-check to see what your contribution actually was with that book. That's how we get a Ron Wilson Thing drawing as supposedly an example of your work, because you were at one point writing "The Thing," with Wilson as the artist,  or they choose a book you did draw, but don't realize another artist did the cover. They need someone on staff who can tell them the difference, or learn how to Google things for such information. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 12:07pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This has been a problem with SYFY from the start. Lots of art by other people presented as if it was mine. When I asked for this to be corrected--at least credit for the actual artists!--I was told it would mean replacing the whole video.

Still, you'd think that getting it wrong ONCE would be enough to make them careful about getting it wrong a SECOND time. And a THIRD. And a FOURTH....

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 12:46pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

After the first time you told them about it, there is no reason why four videos later they are using other artists work without credit. As much as the interviewer is an obvious fan, why not let him take a pass at the finished edited version to ensure the art is all yours before uploading it? Starting to see why you don't like doing interviews and media.

mike avila
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 1:34pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The editing mistakes that occurred in this video with the non-Byrne art are incredibly frustrating to me as well, because it's my ugly face on there people see, so I (rightfully) catch a lot of the heat online for it. I've begged/pleaded/demanded for final cut on these so I can review and catch certain mistakes like that, because, as John noted, once we post the videos on YouTube, the site doesn't let us update it without losing the accumulated views. And because those views are important to gauge what works and doesn't and impacts what projects I get approved, SYFY doesn't like to pull them down and 'start from scratch.' 
I just wanted to chime in to let everyone know that your comments are read and noted, and that I'm always working to try and make these video features not just entertaining, but accurate. Appreciate the civil discourse! 

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 2:47pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Mike, despite the errors, I enjoy the videos overall.  For me, as a fan, it's great to see JB's work get more recognition and exposure and possibly garner his work a new audience.

Edited to add: Also, thanks for the response.

Edited by Matt Hawes on 29 July 2019 at 2:48pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

What Matt said. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 8:24pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I wonder how many of the posters who prefer the “first ending” were just the tiniest bit turned against the second by a giant cartoon Doom face with a Hanna-Barbera voice asking “You were expecting Squirrel Girl?”

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 9:23pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

I think the first ending is more the "happy ending", and most people like happy endings. We want Doom dead in the end and boy to get the girl.

Or whatever.

I never saw an issue of Epic Illustrated on any newsstands or bookstores I went to. I still haven't seen an issue. My understanding was the magazine was made for adult fantasy, so I'm surprised the Galactus story was included. The only other mainstream Marvel story they ran I know of was a Stan Lee Silver Surfer story.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Steven, EPIC ILLUSTRATED was Marvel's answer to HEAVY METAL, basically. As you note, it was mostly adult fantasy, and being as such, most teens and younger readers couldn't really buy the magazine, as it contained nudity in some stories.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2019 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Mike, I did not think you were responsible for the erroneous art used in the interview and am really perplexed why the powers that be at SYFY won't let you take a pass over the final edit of the video before uploading it, as, as you say, people are going to hold you responsible for any mistakes that are made. It wouldn't be that hard to fix and correct with some actual Byrne art. Thanks for the response and your obvious enthusiasm of our host's work.

JB, as campy and silly as that "Squirrel Girl" bit was, I have to admit that I laughed. It did not at all deter me from being torn between the two endings. I think they are both incredibly brilliant endings to an amazing story. And I'm honestly more enamored of the idea of Doom becoming Galactus than Nova.

Steven and Matt, The Last Galactus Story, though it didn't really fit with the rest of the content of EPIC ILLUSTRATED, was the only reason I ever bought any issues of it. I think Marvel likely knew that it would appeal to the folks that weren't interested in Marvel's HEAVY METAL and adult fantasy and was included to sell more copies. And I think it likely did sell more copies as a result, but sadly not enough. Likely, as Matt brings up, because it had nudity and "mature content" some folks wouldn't sell it to minors (though I never seemed to have a problem buying it, I'm sure some folks did). "The Last Galactus Story" is one of my favorite JB stories, up there with BATMAN/CAPTAIN AMERICA and DARKSEID/GALACTUS: THE HUNGER and 2112 and OMAC and the FF story with Galactus also mentioned in this video (242-244). If there is ever is an Artists Edition published by IDW, I'll buy it with or without the ending in a heartbeat. I could kick myself for not getting the second Byrne FF omni when it was still in print, but I only recently discovered it contained "The Last Galactus Story" and hadn't gotten it previously because I had all the John Byrne Visionaries FF TPBs and all the single issues of that run. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 30 July 2019 at 12:12am

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 July 2019 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Sigh... another "Not available in your country" video. Why do companies continue to pretend that digital content can be artificially restricted and the regional rights sold like it was the 1950s. Took 2 seconds to circumvent.

Anyway, regarding the content of the video, the first part was great as always. JB and Mike interact well. I enjoy the fact that Mike's genuine enthusiasm and knowledge carries some of the more cheesy bits quite well too, but yes, the presentation at the end was too much.

I don't know about an IDW Artist Edition... call me a heretic, but I'd love to see a more accessible TPB edition of The Last Galactus Story on paper similar to that used for EPIC, and including whichever ending JB wishes, so more people can get to see it in all of its glory. Or both a TPB and Artist Edition.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version