Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Comic Book movies vs other movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 4:47am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

For as long as I can remember I've loved comic books. I love the variety of the characters and the endless, weird and wonderful locations. 

I also love movies.

But recently I realised something. I would not put a single comic-book movie in my top fifty, despite really enjoying many of them.

Anyone else feel the same?

Back to Top profile | search

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 6:02am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I definitely think super heroes are better served by staying in comics but I'd imagine "Infinity War" would be in a list of my top 50 favorite movies.

Similarly, though, I love musicals but rarely, if ever, truly love a movie musical.  Musicals belongs on stage, in my opinion, and always suffer when moved to film.

Edited by John Popa on 28 July 2019 at 6:18am

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 6:05am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I feel the same. SUPERMAN (1978) would be the only possible contender for me. But I'm "unfair" in assessing superhero movies. I have seen many comicbook-based films and, as films, I can objectively appreciate some are very well-made. But they are also -- in my opinion -- so untrue to the source material that I loved, I simply don't like them or rate them highly.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

A personal Top 50?  Definitely SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE.  After that, maybe 1 or 2 other comic book movies might be in a Top 100 (which I would never sit down and compile anyway!).

I think the genre as a whole is fun, disposable entertainment.  But no, I can't say there have been too many examples of across-the-board great filmmaking.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

There are a number of super-hero films I'd likely include in a Top 50 list, but that usually means that they somehow relate to a time in my life or experiences shared with friends. 

In essence, they are genre pictures and the initial buy-in regarding super powers and super science makes it difficult to sell honest, effective human drama in the middle of it all. I'm not certain "great art" is what any of them have been shooting for.

"Jane Austen's Kitty Pryde and Prejudice" has never been the goal.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:30am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I'd have to actually make a list of my Top 50 movies to figure this out--something which I am disinclined to do!. I suspect no superhero movies would make it, tho.

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 10:29am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I can objectively appreciate some are very well-made. But they are also -- in my opinion -- so untrue to the source material that I loved, I simply don't like them or rate them highly.

-----------------------------------

I agree to a point (hated Spider-Man:Far from Home), although IMO there are exceptions (I loved the screen version of GOTG far more than the comics version).

On the other hand, I would have 'Raiders' in my top 50, which certainly has comic-book elements.

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yeah, no, my top 50 would probably be peppered with super hero films.

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 6:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Comic book movies are MOVIES.

I donít make some kind of distinction between them. Itís like saying comic books arenít Ďbooksí.  

My favorite movies currently happen to be movies based on the world of Marvel Comics (via Marvel Studios and the MCU). 

Right now....Avengers Endgame and Avengers Infinity War are my favorite movies.   

This could change....

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Superman would crack my top 50 easily, but that would be it.  And it would probably be right in the middle.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I know my top 50 would be littered with comics based movies. 

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 July 2019 at 11:55pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Comic book movies are MOVIES.

I donít make some kind of distinction between them. Itís like saying comic books arenít Ďbooksí. 

---------------

But comic books aren't books as we know them; they are a totally unique entity. Not greater or lesser - just different. A movie may be based on a 600 page prose book. A comic-book movie may be based on a character's continuing adventures over 50+ years. The closest that the two mediums get is when there is a series of prose books featuring the same character (such as Sherlock Holmes, Tarzan etc) where recurring themes exist.

Movies, Books & Comic books are three very different forms of entertainment.  

I'm not a huge fan of comedy films so it doesn't surprise me that a comedy film is absent from my top 50. I am, however, a huge comic-book (particularly Marvel) fan so it was interesting to me that none of the MCU movies would appear (although I really enjoyed Infinity War/Endgame/Iron-Man/GOTG among others).

I have watched a hell of a lot of movies over the years, including quite a few classics. It could just be, despite there being some very good comic-book films, they are simply edged out.    

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version