Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 2
Topic: Comic Book movies vs other movies Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 10:44am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

My Top list(s) of movies constantly changes.  As for Comic Book based movies, one that I'd put in my top list was the first Guardians of the Galaxy movie.

Why?  For one thing, I went to see the film not expecting anything special.  I had not followed the Guardians of the Galaxy in the comics with any regularity.  However, when I saw the film for the first time, I was blown away.  For me, it was a complete film, and one of the only films that I wanted to see for a second time in the movie theatres.  Unfortunately, this view didn't hold for Volume 2.  It was okay, but not enough of a draw for me to see a second time.

Back to Top profile | search

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I assume we're talking "favorite", not "best", here. 

Is CASABLANCA better than SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE? I would think that would be a yes, asking most serious film fans and critics. And yet, the latter would make my Top 50 easily. The former, not so much. 

My mostly unscientific formula that dictates how much I like a movie:

Did I see it in a theater? 
-- More than once?

Have I watched it more than once outside of a theater? 
How many times?
Do I still watch it/do I plan on repeated viewings?
Do I own it? Did I buy it more than once (different formats, editions, etc.)?

The seeing-it-in-a-theater thing is not a huge factor, as I've discovered lots of favorites way after initial release (FIGHT CLUB, SHAWN OF THE DEAD, WHAT WE DO IN THE SHADOWS. I have yet to see the original KING KONG on the big screen, but it, and these others, would all make [current] my Top 50).

I finally saw STAR TREK II: THE WRATH OF KHAN in a theater...35 years after its initial release. But I have seen that on HBO many times, rented and owned on VHS; have had it on DVD and Blu-Ray. I watch it at least a couple of times a year, and will continue to do so. It's #1 on my list. 

SUPERMAN, I did see in the theater. Once in 1978, and once last year. Have it at home and watch that annually. Not only in my Top 50, but probably in my Top 20. 

As for other superhero movies, I would guess close to half of the MCU movies would make it. Certainly, INFINITY WAR (seen in the theater 3 times, at home a lot!) and ENDGAME (4 times in the theater), the first AVENGERS, IRON MAN, all three CAPTAIN AMERICA films, RAGNAROK, and, yes, THE INCREDIBLE HULK. Echoing Craig's initial sentiments: I've loved superhero comics for decades and movies just as long. The MCU has managed to fuse that love, making movies that, to me, capture some of the magic that the old Marvel Comics had. 

Among non-MCU efforts (besides SUPERMAN): BATMAN BEGINS, and...dang. I thought I was going to make a list, here. WONDER WOMAN might sneak in there. Maybe THE LEGO BATMAN MOVIE or SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE. But, if I include those three with the others already mentioned, that only leaves about 30 more movies, and I'd have to include STAR WARS, RAIDERS, and THE MATRIX (but not including any of their sequels will leave some space). 

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 29 July 2019 at 10:55am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Craig Earl
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

The problem with compiling lists - and relying on an aging mind - is that something will invariably be forgotten and then remembered later!

There are a number of movies that I have seen a huge amount of times and yet, if I turn on the TV and it is on, I will always watch it to the end (I'm thinking JAWS or RAIDERS or THE GREAT ESCAPE or THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES). When I go through the different genres, I find others; AWAKENINGS, SPARTACUS, MR HOLLAND'S OPUS...

Aww man. 

Now I know that I'm actually going to have to compile this list for real. I reckon a year should be enough time to get it down...

Brian Burnham
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don't differentiate between regular movies and comic movies. Just like movies based on books. For example, people I know loved the movie adaption of the John Grisham novel "The Firm". I was less enthusiastic as I had read and liked the book (movie was OK.) I don't know that I could list my top 50 movies and I am sure it would change every time I did it. Some comic book movies will be in there along with other sci fi genre movies.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 July 2019 at 2:48pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

SUPERMAN would easily get into my top 50. Even Top 10, no problem. 

Also I'd find room for BATMAN BEGINS. But that's about it, I think.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 August 2019 at 9:05am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I don't have a fixed Top 10 or Top 50 or whatever, though I know some of the films that are bound to be in there, like: Rear Window, The Lost Weekend, Judgment at Nuremberg, The Day the Earth Stood Still, The Offense, 2001: A Space Odyssey.

There aren't going to be any of these recent superhero movies in any of my lists though, and it's not because they're "comic book movies". It's because they're fun, spectacular, but largely forgettable movies. They don't break any new ground, unlike some of the comics they're based on; they don't have exceptional acting or dialog; and they're being released in a virtually neverending flood of similar films.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version