Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Addams Family animated movie Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
...Lurch's origin? Well, when two people love each other very much... two incredibly large people...

...Or a mad scientist a d some cadavers were involved,  or some zombie voodoo magic. With the Addams Family,  anything is possible,  but I prefer it to remain a mystery. 
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 3:47am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In an interview when the two shows were first on the air, one of the show runners said THE ADDAMS FAMILY was different from THE MUNSTERS because “all our characters have navels.” In other words, as weird as they are, the Addams extended family are all human. Turn Lurch into a literal Frankenstein monster and that’s lost.

(Altho I suppose it could be argued that letting Thing out of his box already did that.)

Back to Top profile | search

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 3:45pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I just remembered... we saw Lurch's mom on the TV show! She was played by Ellen Corby (best remembered as the grandma from "The Waltons").
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 10:34pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In an interview when the two shows were first on the air, one of the show runners said THE ADDAMS FAMILY was different from THE MUNSTERS because “all our characters have navels.” In other words, as weird as they are, the Addams extended family are all human. Turn Lurch into a literal Frankenstein monster and that’s lost.

(Altho I suppose it could be argued that letting Thing out of his box already did that.)

Agree on both counts. That's the fundamental difference between THE MUNSTERS and THE ADDAMS FAMILY in the original shows, and that's why I like the Addams so much and don't care for the Munsters.

The Addams are authentically weird and eccentric and, while obviously exaggerated, not unlike some real world weird, old-money families. There's an insight there. 

Get real supernatural stuff and actual monsters in there and that's lost. The Munsters' working-class, actual monster family with a "point of view" character for the audience is so much more boring and trite.

The live action films have some moments but are too exaggerated and sub-Burtonesque. Thing getting out of the box and having his own "adventures" kills it for me.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 13 August 2019 at 6:37am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Here we see Thing undergoing the same transformation that happened to the Thing in the FF. Ben Grimm started out as a nearly amorphous blob of "dinosaur hide." A THING. But over the years he became more clearly defined. Not human, certainly, but around the time the uninformed started calling him "Rock Man" an important element of his character slipped away.

So, too, with Thing. As a hand and arm that emerge inexplicably from a box on a table, we don't really know what he is. Out of the box, he's "The Beast with Five Fingers".

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB,

I completely understand what you are saying about Marvel's the THING.  I do confess to loving your "explanation" for his evolving transformation(s) during your run on the title.  Namely, that ALL the members of the Fantastic Four were undergoing subtle transformational changes re: their powers/appearance:

Sue developed invisible force fields - which, again, over time she was able to manipulate and shape to her will.

Johnny went from looking like a true "TORCH" to his red silhouette form surrounded by flame and developing his Super Nova power.

and Reed gained increased control over his elasticity - similar to Sue's increased ability to control/shape her force fields.

As for the Addams Family - when I was a kid and first started watching reruns of the show, I never once questioned "what" THING was.  I certainly never thought he was a bodiless hand, but also I it never really crossed my mind that he was a hand attached to SOMETHING - I just accepted that he was a hand that came out of boxes placed around the house.  It worked just fine.  Still does.

Marc

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 15 August 2019 at 9:03am

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 15 August 2019 at 9:22am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

There’s at least one cartoon where Thing is TWO hands (and arms), emerging from a phonograph cabinet to place the record and needle!

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 August 2019 at 3:09pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

This looks a little too Hollywood-spit-shined for my tastes, sort of like that animated GRINCH movie from last year.

Ideally, this should be hand-drawn animation.  In black & white!!

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 1:52am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Black and white. That will sell a ton of tickets!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 5:39am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I agree that black & white would be a nice touch but probably just impactful to us "oldies" nostalgic for the original.

FRANKENWEENIE, tho, took that bold step and yet still doubled it's budget in box office.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 5:41am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Viewers have to be fooled. The recent CHERNOBYL miniseries washed out its palette so much it was almost black&white. SIN CITY did something similar.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 5:44am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I completely understand what you are saying about Marvel's the THING. I do confess to loving your "explanation" for his evolving transformation(s) during your run on the title. Namely, that ALL the members of the Fantastic Four were undergoing subtle transformational changes re: their powers/appearance:

••

I don't recall doing this.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version