Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Et tu, Moira!? Or...what makes a mutant - SPOILERS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"The Jim Lee era what was made him love the X-Men
(specifically mentioning the arc where Psylocke became
an Elektra knock-off)"

Oh dear!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Juan Gomez
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

"A lot of Hickman's Marvel stories were basically a rehash of old DC stories, including Crisis On Infinite Earths."

I would say that the Legion and Crisis were certainly influences on his Avengers work and Secret Wars, absolutely, plus there is little doubt that any sort of grand multiverse-related event will always be in the shadow of what Wolfman-Perez accomplished...but the description above seems too reductive to me. They weren't a mere rehash, if we were to do a strict breakdown of the build up and cast dynamics or a thematic analysis.

At the same time, I don't think it's wrong to have some similarities in the first place. In my opinion, the important thing is what you do with them. Even Dave Cockrum used a few of his ideas for the Legion during his X-Men run, as seen with the Shi'ar Imperial Guard, but they fulfilled a distinct role within the story. Or, for example, there's the fact that Moon Knight was clearly derived from Batman, to be sure, yet  Doug Moench developed him along very different lines.

"His Fantastic Four run incorporated the Future Foundation but I wanted to read about the Fantastic Four."

Well, I would say that particular dilemma was taken into account at the time. It is exactly why there was always a main Fantastic Four book during Hickman's run and, in turn, the Future Foundation were primarily kept within their own separate "FF" title after a while.

"His New Avengers was just basically the Illuminati, which is a recent concept that I really dislike. Those three books didn't work for me no matter how many times I read them."

It's unfortunate to hear that. Honestly, I believe Hickman handled that concept much better than Bendis did...because he gave them a legitimate reason to hold those meetings in secret. Mind you, I can understand if the idea itself didn't appeal to you.

"Hickman said in an interview that Byrne and Claremont's run was important to him but then followed up saying that the Jim Lee era what was made him love the X-Men (specifically mentioning the arc where Psylocke became an Elektra knock-off)."

Do you have a link to that interview? I admittedly haven't seen it.

What I've read suggests Hickman was primarily a DC comics fan as a child, but that his favorite X-Men series was actually Generation X. Which, all things considered, was one of the least bad X-titles of the early 1990s at least for some time.

I'll be sincere here...I do think the Jim Lee-era X-Men comics don't hold up for the most part, especially after Claremont left, but I won't blame anyone for liking them as a teen or young adult back in the day. Either way, I don't think Hickman is trying to repeat that era.

As a side note...I've heard that Marvel has finally solved the whole mess with Psylocke and Betsy is back to being British again. I can only imagine it was done clumsily, one way or another, but I suppose it's better late than never.

Edited by Juan Gomez on 11 August 2019 at 1:46pm
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Does she remember her past lives or not?

She does, every time. That's why she keeps trying to do something different in each life, in order to avoid yet another tragic outcome. And it keeps not working. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

In other words, the X-Men are now no different than the Inhumans or Eternals. 

Well...not quite. The Inhumans don't engage in diplomacy with the normal-human world, do they? That's what happens in HOUSE OF X #1.

And the Eternals are still out in space, unless something happened while I wasn't looking. 

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The Jim Lee era X-Men being your favorite likely just means you were a kid/teen during the late 80s/early 90s. I wouldn’t read that as any sort of red flag.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 4:29pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Well. I’ll peruse this in six months time when it pops up on Marvel Unlimited. Can’t see me liking it, but I’ll peruse it as part of my subscription. Maybe.

But this aspect sounds utterly horrible

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 5:58pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Well...not quite.

=================

Of course, there's no Lockjaw or Blackbolt or Terrigen Mist in the X-Men. So I'm way off in my statement. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 August 2019 at 10:59pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Michael Roberts, i was specifically referring to Jane
Seymour inspired, quintessential English rose, Betsy
Braddock becoming a "hot" Japanese ninja! Sorry if i
didn`t make that clear!

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 2:44am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Michael Roberts, i was specifically referring to Jane Seymour inspired, quintessential English rose, Betsy Braddock becoming a "hot" Japanese ninja! Sorry if i  didn`t make that clear!

——

Oh! Yeah, that storyline was just a hot mess.

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 5:18am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

That's what I was referring to as well, Michael.

Juan, 
The interview is in one of the freebies that Marvel sends to comic book shops prior to the actual comic coming out. It had interviews with Hickman and the artists. Hickman states that the Jim Lee era appealed to the artist in him.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 12 August 2019 at 5:25am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

i was specifically referring to Jane Seymour inspired, quintessential English rose, Betsy Braddock becoming a "hot" Japanese ninja!

••

In much the same way so many female characters morphed under the hands of artists who could only draw one kind of figure.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 August 2019 at 6:14am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Claremont had Betsy Braddock die and reincarnate in the body of a Japanese ninja. And she somehow picked up the personality and skills of the ninja as well. 

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version