Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18
Topic: Et tu, Moira!? Or...what makes a mutant - SPOILERS Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2019 at 5:13am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I was fine with Alan Moore, comic book writer, before he became Alan Moore, everything he writes and says is the most brilliant thing ever! It's not his fault, I blame the comic book press and mainstream outlets (like Entertainment Weekly) for putting that narrative out there. Of course, we're still in this weird era where the name of the writer is the most important thing in a comic book. Add to the fact that every "Big Name Writer" tries to write their own version of Watchmen, and I'm left with the feeling that Moore is a tad overrated. 

Problem is that the "Big Name Writer" is often tasked to plug in certain characters so that they can tell their stories. Jonathan Hickman is allowed to tell whatever story he wants to tell with the X-Men because he is Jonathan Hickman. Marvel doesn't seem to care what happens to the characters as long as Hickman's name is attached.

I also that deifying these writers comes at the expense of other writers and especially artists who do good work but aren't as "highbrow" as the hot writers.

Edited by Shawn Kane on 19 August 2019 at 5:18am
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2019 at 5:15am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I always thought Moore's reluctance to participate in other media adaptations of his works, even if it's just a consultant credit, might be tacit acknowledgement on his part that his inspirations for these stories weren't completely his own.

I always wondered how well Neil Gaiman would have fared if he (with DC/Warner backing) went up against J.K Rowling over the similarities between Timothy Hunter and Harry Potter.   THE BOOKS OF MAGIC had been written and published (and even optioned for the big screen) years before any officially published HARRY POTTER had appeared.  Gaiman has acknowledged the similarities but also is wise enough to note that anyone writing in this genre of fiction is drawing from a common well of oral tradition heroic myth.   If anything they both owe a huge debt to Joseph Campbell for publishing a coherent and covenient guide to this sort of thing.   

It seems Gaiman fans are the ones who are most bothered by what they think is a 'blatant swipe' and not the man himself.   I bet if you ask a die-hard Rowling fan about this they would have no idea there was even a controversy, if they are even aware of Gaiman as an author..   Moore fans act similarly -- their favored creator always sprouts three new original ideas before breakfast and anyone who says otherwise is obviously a hater and jealous.

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 19 August 2019 at 5:16am

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2019 at 6:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I always thought Moore's reluctance to participate in other media adaptations of his works, even if it's just a consultant credit, might be tacit acknowledgement on his part that his inspirations for these stories weren't completely his own.

———

I think that’s a lot of mindreading there, especially given that Moore’s distaste for adaptations is pretty straightforward. He doesn’t trust Hollywood to not miss the point of his stories and fuck up the adaptation, and he gets annoyed when people confuse the end product with what he wrote. And each subsequent adaptation of his stories pretty much proves his point.

Carlos Velasco
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 9:43am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Am I the only one who only likes (most of) what Moore did in the 80s?

I can't stand From Hell, too disturbing. And the rest is a bit meh.

I knew he took "a lot of inspiration" from many sources, but wasn't aware that it was so exaggerated... However, I still like him. I think it's great that he brought those ideas to comic books in such an entertaining way.

By the way, as a science fiction fan, my favorite Alan Moore works are the Time Twisters/Future Shocks short stories. I wonder if I'm alone in this.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Am I the only one...

•••

sigh

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

<< Prev Page of 18
  Post ReplyPost New Topic