Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Dr. Strange MCU Timeline Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 11:40am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I like to think that MCU Strange spent a few years studying in Tibet before he had his first magic skirmish. That montage of his time with the Ancient One lasting 8 or 10 years. I may be alone in that. It would set his origin beginning a few years before Stark's. No problem there. Except that there were a couple of indications that perhaps his accident took place after Iron Man 2 and his studies were only a few months long or less. Is there a definitive proof of Strange's timeline and its relation to the other movies?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

You’re not alone! Roger Stern, during his time with the good doctor, wanted to establish that the auto accident happened in the 1920s, and Strange had been “a name whispered in shadows” for a looooonng time!

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

In ENDGAME, the part where Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man go back to 2012 during the Chirauri invasion, Hulk encounters the ancient one. She tells Hulk he’s 5 years too early to see Dr Strange at the Sanctum Santorum which would indicate everything in his movie takes place within a relatively short amount of time. 

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 12:22pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Yeah, I really want it to have been years but so many scenes give a feel of months. Like when he reunites with Dr. Palmer, just not a feeling he's been away for years.
So we know the post credit scene puts him close to RAGNAROK. We don't get a clear MCU setting at the beginning tho, and on a technicality Rodie is not mentioned by name  just before his accident but, yeah that was him at CIVIL WAR.

Edited by Doug Centers on 18 August 2019 at 12:23pm

Trevor Krysak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

What I find odd is his name being dropped in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. I'm not sure how he would be on SHIELD's/HYDRA's radar. Especially if he hasn't been active for very long. If they had mentioned Spider-Man instead I'd get it but Dr. Strange seemed like a goofy bit of foreshadowing/fan service.

Magic seems mostly out of their element. But Agents of Shield has changed that somewhat.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 12:55pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I guess we can lay it on the doorstep of Instant Gratification. The Marvel characters introduced by Stan, Jack and Steve mostly had elapsed time between their origins and their first adventures. Spider-Man had months of “training” as he became a national TV star. Opening dialog in FF1 indicates there has been some time since the rocket flight (perhaps used for training). Etc.

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 1:09pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

For me, these MCU timeline debates are a lot like trying to figure out the Stardates in the original STAR TREK... fairly early on, you realize you'll go crazy trying to actually figure it all out--so I just don't bother!

I would never have the time nor inclination to try and view all the Marvel Studios films in "chronological" order anyway, so no skin off my nose.

Scott Adsit
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Yes, I see there's plenty of evidence that the MCU didn't think through Strange's journey. Yes, he may have been a prodigy, but he learned too fast. He needs time to become a (the) respected leader in the organization. And in his first appearance, he had already existed for years in the shadows. I thought that's what Agent Stillwell was setting up in Winter Soldier. Oh, well. I still thought the Dr. Strange movie was fun. I just hope the second one will inject some of that creepy, unknowable, shadowy mystery that Lee and Ditko established. For that purpose, Strange is obviously better as a supporting character. I wish the MCU had let us be in intrigued and weirded out by Strange before we delved into his human foibles and learning curve.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

In ENDGAME, the part where Hulk, Captain America and Iron Man go back to 2012 during the Chirauri invasion, Hulk encounters the ancient one. She tells Hulk he’s 5 years too early to see Dr Strange at the Sanctum Santorum which would indicate everything in his movie takes place within a relatively short amount of time. 

I took that as "five years too early before Stephen Strange has become a master of the mystic arts," not "five years too early before Stephen Strange has started training with me."

Also, I think it's official Marvel comics canon that Strange's car accident happened in 1964 and he was, indeed, "a name whispered in shadows" for decades before the beginning of Marvel's sliding timeline.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 3:25pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Scott Adsit wrote:
I just hope the second one will inject some of that creepy, unknowable, shadowy mystery that Lee and Ditko established.

I think the Lovecraft-inspired title is a good start.

Adam Schulman wrote:
I took that as "five years too early before Stephen Strange has become a master of the mystic arts," not "five years too early before Stephen Strange has started training with me."

Need to watch it again, but I’m pretty sure the Ancient One also suggested that Strange was working in his hospital a few miles away, meaning it was before his accident.

Scott Adsit
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 4:16pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

History and experience are an important part of the comics' world order. It certainly won't sit right in the MCU when the Fantastic Four are the new kids on the block, coming to veterans like Spider-Man for guidance.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 August 2019 at 6:29pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

But wasn’t Stephen Strange name-dropped in one of the earlier movies?

Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version