Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Movies
Byrne Robotics > Movies << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Disney/Sony Reach Stalemate On Spider-Man Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I don’t think offering to assume ‘half the risk’ on the next movie in a multi-billion dollar franchise can be taken as a serious offer by Sony or anyone else.  It’s sort of like, “I see you’ve got ten winning lottery tickets there.  Let me pay for half of them and collect half the winnings.”
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 9:45pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

In defense of Disney..... they were responsible for making it a multi-billion dollar franchise and figured it was time to collect more of the profit on their flagship character.

UPDATE: Sony is in damage control now... “Much of today’s news about Spider-Man has mischaracterized recent discussions about Kevin Feige’s involvement in the franchise,” said a Sony spokesperson. “We are disappointed, but respect Disney’s decision not to have him continue as a lead producer of our next live action Spider-Man film.”

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 20 August 2019 at 9:48pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 10:18pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I don’t think offering to assume ‘half the risk’ on the next movie in a multi-billion dollar franchise can be taken as a serious offer by Sony or anyone else.  It’s sort of like, “I see you’ve got ten winning lottery tickets there.  Let me pay for half of them and collect half the winnings.”

———

That analogy ignores Marvel Studios and Kevin Feige’s contribution into making Spider-Man a multi-billion dollar franchise in the first place. Or are you suggesting any post-AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 movie would have done just as well without the MCU ties and Feige’s creative involvement?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 20 August 2019 at 11:30pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Exactly.  Sony had a ton of plans for the "Spider-verse" before AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 gravely disappointed at the box office.  Post ASM 2 and facing the very real contract mandated production of another SM movie lest they lose the rights, Sony was all too eager to at least test the waters with Disney...and then that deal eventually lead to the biggest movie Sony has ever released in FAR FROM HOME.  

Yes, yes, yes.  I get it.  VENOM was a bigger success than had been anticipated and the absolutely wonderful INTO THE SPIDER-VERSE was a massive success and an Oscar winner with zero input from Marvel.  But it's putting the cart before the horse to ignore that a large part of the enthusiasm for Spider-Man movies came from the fact that he interacted with the rest of the MU.  Now he's going to be divorced from that playground once again.  As much as he's my all-time favorite character in comic books, I really wonder how far the goodwill of the audience will extend to an MU-less Peter Parker?  Past history says not very far.  

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 2:10am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Well I for one am looking forward to Venom appearing in another Spider-Man 3. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 21 August 2019 at 2:11am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 3:12am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but why was Venom not allowed to appear in Sony's SPIDER-MAN movies during their partnership with Disney/Marvel?  Both Spider-Man and Venom are SONY properties, are they not?

Marc

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 5:25am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It'll take more than Tom Holland to make a billion dollar SM movie. Also, the whole connection to the MCU is gone for the S-M franchise, so no more Stark connection, no more Nick Fury, hell, they don't even get Happy Hogan. All of that is gone. 

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

While i'm upset for everybody else, my MCU
ended with Far From Home.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Exactly.  Sony had a ton of plans for the "Spider-verse" before AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 2 gravely disappointed at the box office.  Post ASM 2 and facing the very real contract mandated production of another SM movie lest they lose the rights, Sony was all too eager to at least test the waters with Disney...and then that deal eventually lead to the biggest movie Sony has ever released in FAR FROM HOME.  
-----------------------------------------------------
That's absolutely true, Matt, historically.  But corporations don't act out of gratitude.  I understand both perspectives.  Disney is saying, "These movies only made so much because of us, we deserve a bigger piece of the pie."  Sony, however, isn't looking at who gets credit for the last two movies.  They're looking at the third and fourth movies and thinking, "Are the full profits for #3 made by us alone going to be greater than half the profits for #3 with Disney."

From Sony's perspective, two good Spider-Man movies in a row have largely erased the bad taste left by the ASM films.  Is more than half of their current goodwill really going to vanish with Feige?  Especially if they keep the same stars? 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

After the debacle that was SPIDER-MAN 3, I saw neither of the Garfield movies in the theater (though, eventually would at home, with a resounding 'meh').

I have paid for tickets to every movie in which Holland's played Spider-Man. Granted, CIVIL WAR, INFINITY WAR, and ENDGAME, I would have seen, regardless. But I happily went to and enjoyed showings of HOMECOMING and FAR FROM HOME. 

Will I go to a Spider-Man movie not tied to the MCU? It's doubtful. I didn't see SPIDER-VERSE in theaters, either. I eventually did, via Netflix, and liked it quite a bit. 

But if it's all about box office numbers...I think Sony takes a hit on this one. 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

While i'm upset for everybody else, my MCU ended with Far From Home.

I mean, if this all has to happen, it's at a good "stopping point."

The "Infinity Saga" was a grand, unprecedented, and highly successful experiment, not to mention a fun, fun ride. But, ENDGAME was more than just a cute name, and FFH was a nice epilogue. 

With the departure of key players and characters, it seems we're on the precipice of only enjoying substitute, different, past, or "multi-verse" incarnations of some of the original MCU characters, if at all. Spider-Man seems to be out altogether.*

I'm not saying I won't see any future MCU movies. LOVE AND THUNDER looks interesting (who'd have thunk THOR would be the first MCU character with a fourth solo/title movie??). And I'll watch pretty much anything featuring the Hulk (let's hope Disney and Universal keep playing nice).  But, I don't feel like much else will feel like a "must-watch"/get-me-to-a-theater situation. 

*The next MCU Spider-Man effort would have been a lock....but, alas...

Edited by Brian Rhodes on 21 August 2019 at 10:55am

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2019 at 10:34am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

“I see you’ve got ten winning lottery tickets there.  Let me pay for half of them and collect half the winnings"
------------------------
It's really not like that, is it?

In fact, it's such a bad analogy that I'm not going to try and tweak it closer to the complex situation that we actually have.

Suffice to say, if it was like that, why did Sony agree to let Disney get involved at all in the first place?

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version