Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
Sports Talk
Byrne Robotics > Sports Talk Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: College Football 2019 Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 August 2019 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Well, tomorrow night begins my favorite sports season of them all - college football.  And this year, my favorite team, the Florida Gators are playing Miami in the opening game.  Should be fun to watch, especially if the Gators roll the 'Canes.

Other big questions:

How will Alabama handle getting whipped in the title game last year against Clemson?

Is Clemson the new Alabama?

How will Ohio St. do with a new, untested head coach?  Can Jim Harbaugh finally lead Michigan over Ohio St?

What's going to happen with LSU, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Auburn, Texas and some of the other 'so close, yet so far' teams??

Anything you're looking out for on the college gridiron this year?  What's your team going to look like?  
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 12:26am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

I expect the Vols to be better. They did some solid recruiting, and got a definite upgrade with Jim Cheney coming back as Offensive Coordinator. But I expect it to be another season or two before they're a threat to win the SEC East. 

I just hate that they play both Alabama and Florida on the road this year. Don't see the Vols beating Alabama, but the Florida game should be a good one. I expect the Vols to lose to Georgia and Alabama, and possibly to BYU.

John, I'm sure the Gators will beat the Hurricanes, but I don't think they'll roll them. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 1:25am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Anyone who knows me knows how big a Gator I am.  That said, opening games are sloppy in both college and the pros.  I expect this to be no different.  In the end, however, I think the Gators win going away in the fourth quarter.  It may not be pretty, but a win is a win.

As far as this season, I think the Gators will improve in Mullen's second season despite the fact that our schedule is ranked as one of the top five toughest in the country.  Where Feleipe goes, so go the Gators.  

As far as Alabama, I never count them out.  That would be foolish.  I think they're poised to once again make a run at a National Championship.  Clemson is a powerhouse to be sure, but it's tough to compare two teams that will only meet in a single game and don't have many common opponents.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if they face off again, but hope someone can be a spoiler (GO GATORS!!!).

To your other questions, I think LSU and Auburn will be what they have been for the last three years: OK to impressive teams in the early going and yet fade down the stretch.  I have zero confidence in either head coach.  I think Texas takes a big leap this year and challenges for a conference title.  Notre Dame?  Who cares.  I've never liked the Golden Domers and struggle to understand the press they continue to receive given but one season in 31 years where they played for a title...and then got thumped by Alabama.  Yawn.

In the Big Ten, I say keep an eye out for the Gophers.  I think they're going to mix it up this season.  Michigan and Harbaugh?  Please.  If he can't win v OSU when they're undergoing a transition at HC, then his seat is going to turn from hot to raging fire in an instant.  

In the PAC 12, I think USC and UCLA are still going to be non contenders which is so friggin' weird.  I hear rumblings about Oregon and Utah, so I'll keep an eye on them.  Hey, I only really care about the PAC 12 because I live on the West Coast.  If I didn't, which was much of my life, I wouldn't give them a second thought.  

Finally, I think it's great that the Gators have a meaningful game out of the gate as essentially the only game of consequence to open the season.  I've got my BBQ primed and ready to go for my guests this afternoon.  Absence makes the heart grow fonder, as the saying goes, and I couldn't be more fond of football, college or pro.  It's finally here!

GO GATORS!!!!

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 2:35am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Notre Dame?  Who cares.  I've never liked the Golden Domers and struggle to understand the press they continue to receive given but one season in 31 years where they played for a title...and then got thumped by Alabama.  Yawn.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Couldn't agree more.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 24 August 2019 at 2:35am

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 6:24am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I'm the same way with the Big 10 as you are with the PAC 12 - I live in Ohio so I'm surrounded by Big 10 talk.  I do think college football is more interesting with a strong USC program.  Maybe it's nostalgia but I like the Trojans to be in big games.  

And I don't have any use for Notre Dame either - again, they're mostly local (about two hours or so to the west) so I hear about them even more over here.

Florida's four week run of Auburn - LSU - South Carolina - Georgia will make or break them.  They had a similar run in the '06 season though, with similar questions from a second year coach, and that worked out ok!  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 August 2019 at 9:19pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Were the Gators trying to throw that game?

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 25 August 2019 at 1:41am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

First game of the season against a worthy opponent.  To be expected that it was going to be sloppy.  Anyone who thought it wouldn't be is fooling themselves.  Just judge your own team's first game this season.  That said, we have ton to worry about with Franks as a starter.  He held onto the ball too long and made some really bad reads.  Also, the Gator D couldn't tackle for shit.  We have a bye week to address all the concerns, so I hope they do in short order.  

Mike Baswell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2019 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

So sad to see players from both teams more intent on hamming it up for the crowd and photographers than honorably representing their schools. Schools, that in most cases, were paying for their opportunity to be there and play. And the coaches should shoulder much of the blame for the lack of discipline both before and during the game.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 August 2019 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

When I said I didn't think they would roll the `Canes, I didn't think it would be that close, either. I was expecting a 10 to 13 point difference, which to me isn't rolling them.

(Hope Florida's D plays like that when they're up against Big Orange.....)

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 31 August 2019 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Tennessee, South Carolina, Missouri, Ole Miss.  They should be embarrassed by the way they played today.  They went up against opponents who were far less than and got thumped.  And they didn't even look good in a loss.  They were AWFUL.  None of these programs are ready for prime time.  

None.  

If you're a Vol, Gamecock, Tiger or Rebel it's going to be a loooong season.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2019 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Bouncing around games, I thought Nebraska was underwhelming too.  I know the press has a hard on for Frost as a coach but if yesterday is any indicator, he has a long way to go before he brings real success to the Huskers.  (And that's OK but I don't know what they're ranked after a 3 win season last year.)  

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 September 2019 at 10:12pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

If you're a Vol, Gamecock, Tiger or Rebel it's going to be a loooong season.

+++++++++++++++
There is absolutely no excuse for what happened during the Tennessee/Georgia State game. The defense sucks, pure and simple. The Vols were 20+ points favorites. Georgia State shouldn't have scored more than 10 to 13 points, let alone 38. 

If the Vols don't stomp the hell out of someone this season, its going to get very ugly. You can bet their new defensive coordinator is now on the heat seat after only one game, and Pruitt probably isn't safe, either.

Edited by Brian Floyd on 01 September 2019 at 10:15pm

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version