Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Commonalities Guessing Game Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 11:20pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Trying to work out the Captain America connection to your two lists, Dave; he, as you say arguably, qualified for the first list, when he joined Iron Man in Tales of Suspense, sharing the headline of that book, and qualified for the second one when he took over that title with issue #100, right? I found that clue more confusing than helpful, for the record. :-)

He also (arguably) took over an existing title when he changed Captain America's Weird Tales (formerly Captain America Comics) to Captain America with a couple of issues in the 1950's. Also very confusing. :-)

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 September 2019 at 11:31pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Concerning Eric's list: Metamorpho, Spider-Man, the Creeper, Daredevil, Namor, Dev-Em, and Sunfire. (Note: these may have changed at a different date.)

Are they characters who very nearly joined an existing super-team but did not wind up on the roll at one time or another? Metamorpho turned down the JLA in issue #42 of their comic; Spider-Man didn't join the Avengers in both Avengers #11 and Amazing Spider-Man King-Size Special #3; Daredevil worked with but did not join the Defenders; and Sunfire was a member of the New 13-member X-Men in G-S X-Men #1 but didn't stick around afterwards. Dev-Em was Shrinking Violet's longtime, long-distance love who wouldn't leave his intelligence work on other planets to join the Legion. I can't place when the Creeper* or Namor specifically avoided membership on a given team, but they are loners by nature.

* Justice League of America #70, maybe?

Edited by Brian Hague on 23 September 2019 at 11:36pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 5:30am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
Trying to work out the Captain America connection to your two lists, Dave; he, as you say arguably, qualified for the first list, when he joined Iron Man in Tales of Suspense, sharing the headline of that book, and qualified for the second one when he took over that title with issue #100, right? I found that clue more confusing than helpful, for the record. :-)

Confused or no, you are correct about both lists and how Captain America related to them. I said "arguably" on the first list because it was supposed to be a "dual character" title and the title of the book Cap shared with Iron Man was "Tales of Suspense."

I agree with your guess on Eric's first one, and just to add to that:

QUOTE:
Dev-Em was Shrinking Violet's longtime, long-distance love who wouldn't leave his intelligence work on other planets to join the Legion. I can't place when the Creeper* or Namor specifically avoided membership on a given team, but they are loners by nature.

On the Shrinking Violet thing, you're mixing Dev-Em up with Duplicate Boy of the Heroes of Lallor. That said, the rest of the sentence was correct.

Namor turned down Avengers membership in Avengers #16. Not sure about the Creeper, either.
Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
Kal-El, the Thing, Batman, the Beast, Captain America, Iceman, the Angel, Green Lantern (Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner), the Hulk, Donna Troy, Namor, Lar Gand, Phantom Girl, Vance Astro, Firestar.

Multiple teams?

Kal-El - JL (as Superman) and Legion (as Superboy)
The Thing - FF and Avengers
Batman - JL and Outsiders
The Beast - X-Men, X-Factor, Avengers and Defenders
Captain America - Invaders and Avengers
Iceman - X-Men, X-Factor, Champions and Defenders
Angel - X-Men, X-Factor, Champions and Defenders
Green Lantern (Hal Jordan and Guy Gardner) - JL and the Green Lantern Corps
The Hulk - Avengers and Defenders
Donna Troy - Titans and Justice League
Namor - Invaders and Avengers
Lar Gand - LEGION and Legion
Phantom Girl - LEGION and Legion
Vance Astro - New Warriors and Avengers (and Guardians of the Galaxy if alternate selves count)
Firestar - New Warriors, Avengers and I think the X-Men for a bit

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 9:06am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Brian H. and Dave P. - close enough to my intent for my first list. They were all heroes who turned down membership in a super team. In Avengers #16, Daredevil, Namor, and Spider-Man were all offered membership and declined. Sunfire wasn't technically a member of the X-Men in GSX #1; and in X-Men #94, he uncategorically turned down joining them. Ord Quelu, of the heroes of Lallor, was Shrinking Violet's boy friend, but was not invited. Dev-Em was Kal-El's much older neighbor back on Krypton. He survived in suspended animation, and after a brief sojourn in the 20th century, he took his parents and went into the 30th century. As a member of the Interstellar Counter-Intelligence Corps, he helped the Legion of Super-Heroes on a case, but did not accept an invitation to membership.

I may have misjudged the Creeper (so maybe I should have said "Black Lightning" - the memory, she is not so good no more.) But I rather interpreted that his and Superman's dialogue were an implied invitation and declining. Yeah, that might have been a bit of a stretch...

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 9:08am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Dave P. - Oh yes, you caught me out again! You're so good at this... yes, alternate selves certainly count. In fact, in an issue of Defenders (26?), Vance Astro met himself, CREATING the alternate version.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Eric Sofer wrote:
]I may have misjudged the Creeper (so maybe I should have said "Black Lightning" - the memory, she is not so good no more.) But I rather interpreted that his and Superman's dialogue were an implied invitation and declining. Yeah, that might have been a bit of a stretch...

I honestly don't remember that JLA issue enough to agree or disagree with the Creeper's inclusion on your list and was too lazy to dig my copy out to check. :-)

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 9:25am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Rick Senger wrote:
Captain Nemo, The Prisoner, Dr. Who, The Man From UNCLE, James Bond, Tevye, Achilles.
-----------------------------
Peter: Is this something to do with actors playing different nationalities?
You're on the right track with actors, but it's unrelated to nationality. Actors who played these roles have one striking thing in common.
Another clue: British noir

Checking Google and Wikipedia, I see reps from Doctor Who (William Hartnell), Prisoner (James McGoohan), Man from UNCLE (David McCallum) and James Bond (Sean Connery) all appeared in a film named Hell Drivers. So I'll go with that.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Hmm... is that all of them?

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Dave, correct!  The actors who played all those iconic characters all happened to appear in the gritty 1957 British noir Hell Drivers (mostly before they were famous).  It's a pretty good movie with a particularly memorable psychopathic turn by McGoohan and also stars Jill Ireland and Peggy "Gun Crazy" Cummins. 

Cast in Hell Drivers:
Sean Connery: James Bond (1962-1971, 1983)
Herbert Lom: Captain Nemo (Mysterious Island 1961)
Patrick McGoohan: The Prisoner (1967)
William Hartnell:  Dr. Who (1963 - 1973)
Alfie Bass: Tevye (took over for Topol on Broadway)
David McCallum: Ilya Kuriakin (The Man From UNCLE)
Stanley Baker: Achilles (Helen of Troy 1956)

Edited by Rick Senger on 24 September 2019 at 5:24pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 5:28pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yay! Thanks Google!

New one from me -

Wonder Woman, Shining Knight, Johnny Quick, Green Arrow, Aquaman and possibility Vigilante, Robotman and Robin, circa December 1950 (or March 1951 if you go by cover dates).

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 September 2019 at 8:00pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

All of the characters on your list, Dave, were regularly featured at one time or another in Adventure Comics. Except Robin and Robotman. Robotman showed up in the title via a reprint in the 1970's, but not Robin... And there's nothing special that I can find about the appearances that he or the others made on the dates you've cited. Star-Spangled Comics #114 (March 1951) is an origin recap for Robin, so maybe that's relevant. 

Here's a list I was able to cobble together--

Superman, Wonder Woman, Thor & Loki, Sub-Mariner & Namora, Archie, Peter Parker, and Emma Peel.

Edited by Brian Hague on 24 September 2019 at 8:03pm

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version