Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 11:43am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Abrams+WarnerBros
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
Abrams is held in such high regard for his ability to tell compelling stories and RE-create and revive franchises that he drew interest from the likes of Disney, Apple, and Comcast.

I fixed that for them. 

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 September 2019 at 12:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Cue Porky Pig

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 6:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

He's not going to F@#k up Bugs. But
Superman should be sweating buckets.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Scott Adsit
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 6:20am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The actual, true Bugs went away in the early 60's. It's just been a limited imitation of him ever since.

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Scott is correct.

Just buy the 3 volume Loony Tunes Platinum Collection, and you can see Bugs and the rest at their peak, in beautifully restored form.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 8:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

The actual, true Bugs went away in the early 60's. It's just been a limited imitation of him ever since.

••

T'is true, t'is true. I blame those "concerned groups" who deemed Bugs and his pals "unsuitable for children" when they came to TV--forgetting (if they ever really knew) that those old WB cartoons were not MEANT for children in the first place!

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 October 2019 at 8:36am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

One short stands out from my younger days. Probably from the late forties or so, Bugs raced the tortoise in the familiar story, but even with the help from some gangster rabbits still lost. End the end Bugs took a gun and shot himself, along with the gangsters, thru the head. All done in the spirit of humor.
That ending disappeared sometime in the early 80's.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 9:18pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

This has been bubbling within me for many months. You’ll have to excuse my candor.

Abrams is the cinematic AntiChrist. A cultural locust, grifter, and vandal. He destroys an intellectual property, then talks his way into the next one, which he...well...proceeds to destroy. He can’t finish a story, and he relies on smoke, mirrors, and mystery box nonsense to trick people into thinking that they had a profound experience. He’s a snake-oil salesman, and the Franchise Apocalyspe we’re now living in is due largely to him, Bad Robot, and his cronies—and fellow hacks—, such as Kurtzman and Lindelof. They’ve gotten their hooks into most of the core nerd franchises of the past half-century. It’s already too late to save them.

Despite his assertions about the importance of “diversity”, he had no problem employing nepotism to bring his son in to co-write a (already controversial) Spider-Man series for Marvel. Of course, Marvel Comics is already in its death throes, so Abrams is just the talentless icing on top of that mess.

And he also conned his way into a half-billion dollar deal with Warner, so we can sure to expect him to dust off his legendarily awful SUPERMAN: FLYBY script and get it produced. Of course, Superman and the other classic DC heroes have...shall we say...not been cinematically well-served for quite some time. So, again, Abrams is just the talentless icing on Zack Snyder’s very large crap cake.

STAR TREK is in ruins. CBS can misdirect and fudge numbers all they want, but I don’t care. The evidence is plainly evident by the complete meltdown of the fanbase, the utter lack of merchandise and buzz, and the complete apathy of the general viewing audience. Literally every friend and coworker I’ve talked to about it doesn’t even know that STD exists. The writing has been on the wall for quite some time—since 2009, to be exact—, and to deny what has been done to this once-great franchise is willful ignorance. It’s become creatively bankrupt, dumbed-down, horribly-written social justice propaganda schlock, which is piggybacking on the haracters and concepts of the real STAR TREK in order to legitimize its reckless destruction of our modern mythology. And Abrams kicked it off with his movies, which he’d hoped to turn into his own little merchandising empire. Because that’s all he and his cronies want: franchises to own and exploit. 

STAR WARS is in ruins. Abrams won’t be able to save it with the inevitable trainwreck that’s limping into theaters in a few months. He’s a big part of WHY it’s in ruins, so he’s definitely not the guy who’s gonna fix it. I look forward to Abrams and that obnoxious troll, Rian Johnson, pushing each other under the blame bus when things go more south than they already have. Apathy has set in across the board, and the most beloved and influential franchise in the history of cinema has, within five short years, been reduced to clearance-shelf dreck. Its legacy destroyed, its creator betrayed (as Bob Iger recently admitted, Lucas handed his company over with the belief they’d be using his treatments as a basis for the counterfeit sequel trilogy), and the fanbase melted down beyond repair. There is no coming back from that damage that’s been done. Too much bad blood, too many bridges burned. Only the lunatic fringe will remain, when this disaster of a trilogy is over and done with. Books will definitely be written about this whole mess.

I also look forward to Abrams and company pulling out the usual labels and insults to shield against any and all criticism of their toxic brew of awful storytelling, nostalgia-milking, and identity politics: “Toxic fans”. “Manbabies”. “Racists/sexists/homophobes”. You’re just scared of strong women”.

No, no, JJ. I’m just scared of reckless and insulting hack writing that destroys characters and stories people have loved and been inspired by for decades. Which is, of course, your specialty.

So, yeah. Good luck, Bugs. It was nice knowing you. Warn all your friends.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 9:32pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Well this thread took a turn. 

Koroush Ghazi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 October 2019 at 10:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Where JJ Abrams is involved, no matter what he does, somebody's childhood is bound to get raped... it's only a matter of time before it's yours!

I agree with Greg that Abrams is basically a hack. I haven't watched any Star Wars movie after The Farce Awakens, nor any of the Star Trek movies after Start Wreck (2009), because I got a good taste of what Abrams brings to the table: nothing. Rehashing of stories with liberal amounts of fanboy servicing, new sub-plots that lead nowhere, and a need to piss all over everything to make it his.

Guys, I wasn't kidding when I mentioned the 3-volume Looney Tunes Platinum Collection. Between the three, there are a total of 150 beautiful, restored, classic looney tunes episodes to satisfy your urges. Anything that happened after around 1964, post-Friz Freleng and Chuck Jones, doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned, so let Abrams wreck it :)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 October 2019 at 12:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Anything that happened after around 1964, post-Friz Freleng and Chuck Jones, doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned, so let Abrams wreck it :)

Absolutely. The thing I find kinda strange is that WB's and Disney's signature characters have not been relevant, content-wise, for a loooong time.

They are icons now based almost exclusively on marketing power. 

On Abrams, I liked ALIAS and MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 3 quite a bit (actually I like all M:I films in some way, even the John Woo one), he had a fresh take on the spy genre.

But giving him the keys to the geek kingdom based on that was obviously a mistake. Way above his talent level.

(I enjoyed his first Star Trek film though, but this is coming from a non-Trekkie)

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version