Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: Numbers Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 3:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

While the site wouldn't allow me to sign up with my gmail or apple email address, it would let me sign up with my Facebook email. It's actually the only thing that email has ever been used for!
Back to Top profile | search

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 4:59pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Yes, forums are dying (which is a shame, because I like them) and the email restrictions make it almost impossible to join. What this forum isn't is hard to find: I just googled John Byrne and it was the third link (after wikipedia).

But then, I guess that in other sites there's the freedom of saying "Byrne is a lying sob", or something similar. People are really negative in the internet and they need platforms that allow that.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 7:32pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Social media is an absolute no-man's land. But that's were the attention is. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Oh, boo hoo! There are rules of decorum here.

And you just argued against your own point.

I'm all for the rules of decorum here.  My point is that many in the FB group don't like them here.

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2019 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I think the e-mails addresses issue is one of the key
factor. I am in the case I have to use my work e-mail to
be able to write on here. My personal e-mail would not
fit the requirements. The day I am out of it, I better
not forgot my password.
Also. While a lot of them are there, I am also convinced
a lot of them are visiting this forum as readers only
because of this limitation.
Back to Top profile | search | www

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 7:51am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Simply put - a Facebook group can get members easily. You find (or are suggested the page), you click join and BOOM!, you're a member of that group.

What I find curious is that the JBF seems to have a perennial limit of 600 members. New people seem to join on a regular basis, but it seems to be one in, one out all the time, keeping the number around 600. I genuinely thought that new members would join through Elsewhen, but nope, around 600 it remains.

I do agree with Didier regarding visitors who do not register though. I did that for around a year before I joined (EDIT: in fact, just checking my join date - it must have been over a year because I know I used to visit this page at my old employer, and I've been with this one since 2006)

Edited by James Woodcock on 16 September 2019 at 7:53am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Anthony Frail
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Facebook's advantage is in being a content aggregator -- people just like to use a one stop shop. It's just like how super markets crushed most independent butchers, produce sellers, bakeries, etc. by offering all of that in one space, sparing people the need to visit several shops.

The content delivery system seems to be as important as the content itself, as it was reported years ago that more people are using the Internet for social media than for email!

I've also read that the message board format is unfortunately fading away in favor of social media as well. The New York Times did a story in 2011 (!!!) about this decline:  https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/10/remembrance -of-message-boards-past/

Here's another story from a web design magazine advising programmers / designers to not bother with them:  https://medium.com/web-design-web-developer-magazine/interne t-forums-are-generally-speaking-long-dead-dont-do-them-85031 404fd6d

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 7:57am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Facebook is too random and difficult to police. And--OMG!!--imagine the Big Bad Byrne stories from anyone I declined to "friend"!!

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 11:18am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Some FB groups have a policy of not accepting everyone and check real users from trolls or robots by asking for a message of introduction specifying why you should be accepted. It's not very common but it exists.

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

It really depends on how limited in size the group admins want the group to be and how adept they are at utilizing the admin tools that Facebook lets group administrators have. Just about every Facebook group that I actively participate in has had the requirement (which admins have to set) to answer introductory questions.
In the group I act as an admin, if I can't look at your profile enough to get a good idea whether you're a bot or not, I don't admit into the group.

stephan Etienne
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Monsieur Huge John Byrne, i happily come here to declare my Love, Passion and Flamme to your Beautiful huge drawing ('n to you) on the Black phoenix and before, following the equally no less Dave Cockrum, whose sequel you took over by "magnificient"; the uncanny X-men have "exploded" into a real fireworks with a thousand colors with you, thus beautifully becoming what they are today, in "gestation" under the hand also illustrates of the late Jack Kirby. I then constantly and happily remember the unrivalled episode of the uncanny x-men to the funfair, trapped by the deceit of Mesmero, himself "puppet" under the yoke of the very powerful Magneto. And the trailer, strange and fantastic trailer, flying over the world to the stars… What a fantastic and whimsical gypsy poetry it has been... I love you for all this ('n you 'n your Beautiful 'n passionate "smart" face) and the immense 'aesthetic' (never sawn before)  happiness that you have passed on to me deep inside. Your characters' hands, faces, looks, love and "violence" (heroes as villains) demonstrate a great passion for the human race and the difficult situations that we all encounter. I love you for all that, Monsieur John Byrne, and i wish you a very much long and a very much passionate life has you had always lived it. Very much big thanks for being, Monsieur John Byrne, you maybe have saved my life, especially with vega of the huge alpha flight serie. I kneel before you and all your Masterpiece, my "human god"..

stephan Etienne
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2019 at 1:15pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

"Magnificence", very 'n sincerely sorry...

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version