Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
TV
Byrne Robotics > TV Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: ‘Hogan’s Heroes’ Sequel Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

LINK

Not a big fan of the original series, but I can't imagine this show being executed the right way for fans of the original.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 2:46pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

QUOTE:
The reimagined version will be a single-camera action adventure comedy series set in present day focusing on the descendants of the original heroes, now scattered around the world, who team up for a global treasure hunt.

What’s the point of connecting this to HOGAN’S HEROES? I doubt it’s popular enough today where name recognition would matter.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 17 September 2019 at 3:24pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

That doesn’t sound horrible.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 8:01am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

It sounds like "The H-Team." And who knows but that it might work? Stranger concepts have hit...

Didier Yvon Paul Fayolle
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 8:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Why the need to connect it to Hogan's heroes ?... It
could work as a concept all by itself. Is it to attract
the tv executives with the lure of the Nostalgia trend?

While it would be nice to have a cameo of Robert Clary
(Lebeau ) who I think is the last cast member to be
alive, I don't see the need of it...

Back to Top profile | search | www

Scott Adsit
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 9:21pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Having the MacGuffin be gold or wealth seems off-model, even if it's stolen Nazi gold. Hogan's Heroes were serving the war effort, not themselves. The treasure must be something that will keep the world safe and free from tyranny for Mr. and Mrs. America, border to border, coast to coast and all the ships at sea.

Edited by Scott Adsit on 18 September 2019 at 9:21pm

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 18 September 2019 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I guess times have changed, and changed again. During first broadcast HOGAN’S HEROES was a palpable hit, but a couple of decades later TV GUIDE declared it to be literally the WORST show ever—this despite having featured it on their cover no less than three times.

HOGAN’S HEROES followed an old “rule” of comedy: it’s okay to make jokes about serious matters after 20 years. But 20 years after that, thinking had changed. When she was about 10 years old my stepdaughter informed me they were learning in school about World War Two, but when I asked her to tell me more, it very quickly became clear that what they were learning about was the Holocaust. In the minds of these kids—and, it became obvious, in the minds of many adults—the Holocaust WAS WW2, and WW2 WAS the Holocaust.

This made HOGAN’S HEROES completely and retroactively reprehensible, and generated TV GUIDE’s change of attitude.

Now—well, perhaps attitudes have shifted again? Obviously this new show isn’t about a POW camp, but time has sanitized the title enough that it can be used again.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 3:43am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

In the 1939 classic, THE PHILADELPHIA STORY, Jimmy Stewart romances Katherine Hepburn by describing the light in her eyes as "holocausts." Pre-WW2, surely, and yet -- in a 1978 episode of the TV show TAXI that I recently watched, I noted that Judd Hirsch's character, pretending to be a firefighter, declared that no "holocaust" is the same. The common, popular definition was unchanged: a big fire. It was that very year of 1978 that featured the TV miniseries called HOLOCAUST, and gradually, but soon after, the word became restricted to referring to the Jewish genocide during WW2. Ironically, because "holocaust" was derived the ancient Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible to describe a completely burnt (the literal meaning of "holocaust") offering in the Temple.

As for HOGAN'S HEROES... I'm Jewish and my family survived WW2 in Europe, and both grandfathers served in the armed forces, my mother's father in particular began as a soldier and ended up, after the Nazis blasted through and took over, as a partisan. Nonetheless, he loved HOGAN'S HEROES -- loved it. He and I would watch the show together all the time. He did not, by any stretch of the imagination, consider what happened during WW2, either in combat or to civilians, a matter of comedy... but he got the joke of the show. Mind you, up until the day he died, he refused -- absolutely -- to talk to me about his actual war experiences in any detail. But, likely because of that trauma, he welcomed the sheer mockery of the Nazis in that TV show.

HOGAN'S HEROES wouldn't be able to work today, but those who think the generation who made (many of them Jewish, from Europe) or enjoyed were merely benighted are incorrect.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 1:55pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

My father banned HOGAN'S HEROES in my house. He thought the idea of it was hugely offensive. Normally he is not thinned skinned at all, but this show still gets him angry. My brother complains to this day that he was not allowed to watch it. He thinks he missed something culturally significant. I was too young to worry about it. 

A popular line at my work is "I know nothing", or something similar. Someone said it came from the show, but I know nothing.

John Byrne
Imaginary X-Man

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 2:05pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Hm. Allied POWs fight a fifth column crusade behind enemy lines, constantly frustrating and embarrassing the Germans.

Yes. Offensive......

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 4:20pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

"It was that very year of 1978 that featured the TV miniseries called HOLOCAUST, and gradually, but soon after, the word became restricted to referring to the Jewish genocide during WW2."

I remember that mini series well, it was an absolute event. I still vividly remember scenes from it, and I haven't watched the series since "78!
For me anyhow the word "holocaust" changed the minute that show ended, no gradation at all.

I still watch HOGAN'S HEROES from time to time, it holds up fairly well. I feel no shame while watching it. Like JB said, although it's light hearted the basis of the show is constantly befuddling and obliterating the Germans plans.Really the allies play it fairly straight it's the German's that are cartoonish.

Bryan Eacret
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 September 2019 at 6:39pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

I think my father's issues were mainly with making the Nazis so cartoonish. He thought it detracted from how horrible they were. 

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version