Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 8 Next >>
Topic: Bright New Star Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Herb Trimpe doesn't get enough respect! I think I saw that one Hulk with the Sub-Mariner in the Origins book... I loved the way Trimpe did water/ocean.

Is it worth getting those three post-Byrne She-Hulks titled Return Of The Blonde Phantom? I see the All-Winners on the cover of one and I thought maybe these would fit alongside Namor #12 and that four issue Invaders mini series (which I almost didn't bother with after seeing Hoover's Captain America chest to waist ratio on the #1 cover, geez, those '90s). I'm on some kind of Justice Society and Invaders tear lately.

The first artist change I noticed as a regular buyer was probably Pat Broderick on The Micronauts following a bunch of very bare-bones plain art issues. I actually found him a little hard to read (were talking as a 12 or 13 year old here), but easier than Golden... although I loved those Golden covers, especially Ant-Man in a cereal aisle of a supermarket!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Clint Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Early, early on (like around the age of 4 or 5) I was given copies of Superman: From the 30s to the 70s and Batman: From the 30s to the 70s. I *LOVED* those books. Wayne Boring, Dick Sprang, Joe Shuster, Curt Swan, Murphy Anderson, and Neal Adams were all introduced to me at the very beginning of my love of comics. 

The first comic I remember having was the Treasury Edition of the Wizard of Oz, with John Bucema art. I can't really remember if I cared who the artist was then, but I recognized his work as I started choosing my own comics.

Later on, I remember picking up a JB drawn cover to Comics Interview or Comics Scene (with Colossus and Wolverine fighting a Sentinel) and thinking I wanted to know more about the artist behind that image.

I remember really liking Trimpe on early issues of G.I. Joe, but he turned out to be hit or miss with me. His storytelling was top notch, but I think some inkers really knew how to work with him, while others kind of obliterated the detail he put into his work.
Back to Top profile | search

Jeffrey Rice
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 October 2019 at 3:37pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Herb Trimpe doesn't get enough respect! I think I saw that one Hulk with the Sub-Mariner in the Origins book... I loved the way Trimpe did water/ocean.

Herb Trimpe's daughter posts sketches and old photos on Facebook from time to time. She is clearly proud of her father, and justifiably!

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 October 2019 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Reminiscing on fifty year old memories is not so easy and before I continue with my next entry, I thought some visual stimuli would entice some memories to the surface.  Using Mike's Amazing World of Comics Newsstand (http://www.mikesamazingworld.com/mikes/index.php), I reviewed what was on the market from January 1969 to December 1972.

I was exposed to many titles, but with very little consistency. I did not get to make my own purchases and I recall giving what money I might have to my older brother with instructions on what to buy, with some disappointing results. He could only purchase what was available on the racks and I dimly recall, my cost exceeding the purchase price. I think he convinced me to be quiet about it by allowing me access to his comic books.

The comic book exchange was still going on with friends and relatives and many books were read out of sequence and probably months after sale date.  Books from Harvey composed most of these exchanges and included titled characters, such as: Casper, the Friendly Ghost; Hot Stuff, the Little Devil; Wendy, the Good Little Witch; Little Dot and Richie Rich. And since these characters had multiple ongoing series, there is no way to identify individual issues I might have read. Archie comics of various titles were also in these exchanges and various comics of similar disposition. I can identify some individual issues of Adventure Comics and the 100-Page Super Spectacular DC-14 by DC and the Avengers and X-Men from Marvel, but I don’t recall the circumstances.

During the three years my brother either purchased or was tasked to purchase titles like: Captain Marvel, Conan the Barbarian, Kull, the Conqueror; Silver Surfer, Thor and Warlock by Marvel: Green Lantern, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen; Demon, Forever People, Mister Miracle, New Gods and Kamandi, the Last Boy on Earth by DC: and many Sad Sack titles, because they were popular with all the siblings and my Dad.

My older sister would sometimes get new comics or claim comics from the exchange as more appropriate to her and not allow me access to them. But I did manage to read some. I do recall reading some Wonder-Woman comics which were published during the time.

Western comics were always a easy purchase because the self-contained stories were a big appeal  to the whole family. I think I learned to choose comics with this in mind.  I remember Billy the Kid from Charlton; The new and reprint titles from Marvel including; Gunhawks, Outlaw Kid, Ringo Kid and Marvel Western Gunfighters. The same appeal also included some jungle adventure titles like the Gold Key published Tarzan of the Apes, Jungle Twins and Turok, Son of Stone. When DC started publishing Edgar Rice Burroughs characters I was on board for Tarzan and Korak, Son of Tarzan.

I can identify some spot issues of Amazing Spider-Man, Marvel Spotlight, Marvel Team-Up, Marvel's Greatest Comics, Sub-Mariner, Werewolf by Night, Aquaman, Flash, Justice League of America, Our Army at War, Teen Titans, World's Finest Comics and specifically Fantastic Four Annual #8, I would have impulse purchased off of the racks. 

My most consistent purchases (through my brother) during the period were Captain America and The Incredible Hulk. My memories of both series are punctuated by the issues missed and are more distinctive than the issues captured. I must have been very disappointed at the time.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 October 2019 at 3:03pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Here from 1970 is Sal Buscema on Sub-mariner #30. Sal would become a frequent artist on the books I was interested in during the coming years.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Sometime around 1972, I and my two younger brothers were given a formal allowance and most of mine went to buying comic books. Tarzan was always a intriguing character to me. The TV series starring Ron Ely was recently cancelled, but still popular in syndication. I remember going to bed early so I could get up later and watch midnight showings of Johnny Weissmuller's Tarzan movies on the local TV station. I distinctly remember seeing "Tarzan's New York Adventure" (1942) during my grade school years. So when DC started publishing Tarzan of the Apes, I was completely committed to the series.

Perhaps I wasn't prepared for Joe Kubert's style. It was very different to the style in the Gold Key books, but it didn't take long for the art to draw me into the stories. Joe's dynamics and rawness present Tarzan in his world of danger and menace and the struggle of daily life as well as the beauty and mystery of the jungle.

From 1972, with DC's first issue of Tarzan, is Joe Kubert's wonderful portrayal.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That would be great luck to have happened upon the first DC Tarzan... they did an incredible job with the ERB license.Kubert, Heath, Russ Manning (newspaper strip reprints), and on Carson Of Venus (in the back of Korak) Kaluta!

I suppose Paul Smith was a bright new star when he first turned up in Marvel comics having come from animation, his work stood out. I even had that Amazing Heroes with sketchbook stuff and an interview. I still really like his Doctor Strange with Roger Stern writing it a lot (and one issue of The Falcon, or just the cover?), plus he drew Kitty and her dragon Lockheed nice. Also there was June Brigman who did Power Pack around the same time, and later the not-really-Supergirl Supergirl (Matrix) with I think some help from Carl Potts. I noticed George Freeman on Captain Canuck in the early '80s and would buy anything he did, another stand out with a different style, almost Kubert-esque but smooth... he did a Jack Of Hearts mini-series and one Aquaman special.

I got to see those later Sensational She-Hulk and what a disappointment for a golden age characters fan (who even use to have one '40s Blonde Phantom issue)... Steve Gerber, not my cuppa. Namor #12 will be a real treat to get to though! Will be sad there won't be more other than the Thomas/Hoover Invaders mini-series... tand I did enjoy those first three Marvel Universes... Steve Epting is my new bright star (along with Mike Parobeck on JSA) even though I'm late to their scene, and Parobeck has been gone a long time sadly. I also found Adriana Melo on a Ms. Marvel and she is great!

Edited by Rebecca Jansen on 27 October 2019 at 10:07am

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 10:45am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

With that prelude by Rebecca:

Here from 1972, the first DC issue (I clearly remember the Carson of Venus story drawn by Michael William Kaluta), is Korak Son of Tarzan. This should be considered a classic! A Cover by Joe Kubert, stories by Len Wein, art by Frank Thorne, Michael William Kaluta and Alan Weiss.

Steve Coates
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 October 2019 at 10:58am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

As great as the above cover is and I think Mr. Kubert did a fantastic layout, I much prefer full bleed art for covers with the cover dressing to complement the art. I think the Tarzan cover is more powerful for it.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 October 2019 at 6:43pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Yeah, both Marvel and DC had those boxed-in cover formats in the early '70s for awhile... I wonder if they thought it made a cheap comic look more like some of the quality illustrated books of another era maybe?

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2019 at 11:13am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Did anyone besides Joe Kubert ever ink him in a comic? Just curious. I have trouble imagining anyone inking him except himself.

Rebecca Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 October 2019 at 4:41pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Did anyone but Joe Kubert ink Joe Kubert? It is rare but I believe Russ Heath did, also I think I remember a Redondo (Frank or Nestor) also inking Kubert. Later on I'm sure his sons (Andy and Adam) did as well though maybe not a full-length story, just a cover or ad or something.

<< Prev Page of 8 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version